Segregated audience in UK election.

msj

What would you do if ....  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The UK is having an election and some Labour MP's have come under fire for being present before a segregated audience (segregated based on gender). See link: https://twitter.com/sionsimon/status/594537312115159040

So, I ask, what would you do, assuming they were not willing to accommodate your view that the audience should not be segregated because, Allah ( or Yahweh or Jesus depending on the context)?

Edited by msj

Don't you find that strange?

To accommodate religious belief to the point of such vile sexism should be anathema to a Labour MP, no?

Why does religious accommodation come before gender here?

Presumably if the segregation was racial then even Labour would have found it unacceptable.

Is the order racial > religious > gender > LGBT > fat people > atheists?

Didn't you place it?

I'm not surprised about the Labour position. I guess the most cynical way of looking at it would be that in a cultural group where men are held to be so superior to women the votes rest with the men, but Labour has always been the left party in the UK, and the idea of offending Muslims is anathema to them, regarless of the situation. The events in Rotherham were allowed to go ahead, in part, due to that misguided policy.

Edited by bcsapper

Didn't you place it?

Yes I did.

But it probably belongs in the Religion and Politics forum more so than this one.

But I placed it here anyway.

I should have done up a poll about Orthodox Jews not wanting to sit next to female passengers on airplanes in this forum since it is not political and then put this poll in the political forum since it clearly is political.

Oh well.

You wouldn't catch me dead in the place one way or the other so.

Is there anyway any politician could come out of this without blisters, which begs the question how did the un-Labour candidates fare when they were raked over the coals for being there?

What would be the "other" way? A completely integrated audience? If so, why not?

I would hope this was a Labour only event. I can't imagine Labour being singled out if the Tory candidate had stayed for the event too.

To accommodate religious belief to the point of such vile sexism should be anathema to a Labour MP, no?

Why does religious accommodation come before gender here?

The thing is, segregation in Muslim cultures is largely about sexual modesty and avoiding temptation. It's the same thing with women who wear a hijab or niqab. But Westerners only see it as patriarchal domination and sexism. Muslim sexes don't want to interact with each other to avoid temptation of the other sex.

But maybe there can be a crossover where at times it also becomes about male domination. When it's about avoiding temptation I don't care, but when it's also about domination myself and most westerners have a problem with it. But how do you know when it's one and not the other?

Is it sexism if both sexes are equally segregated?

I mean, it's not as if the men are at the meeting and the women are in another room hidden in the back.

Fair point. I suppose the South really can have separate entrances for whites and blacks then?