Baltimore Riots

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/nonviolence-as-compliance/391640/

Rioting broke out on Monday in Baltimore—an angry response to the death of Freddie Gray, a death my native city seems powerless to explain. Gray did not die mysteriously in some back alley but in the custody of the city's publicly appointed guardians of order. And yet the mayor of that city and the commissioner of that city's police still have no idea what happened. I suspect this is not because the mayor and police commissioner are bad people, but because the state of Maryland prioritizes the protection of police officerscharged with abuse over the citizens who fall under its purview.

The citizens who live in West Baltimore, where the rioting began, intuitively understand this. I grew up across the street from Mondawmin Mall, where today's riots began. My mother was raised in the same housing project, Gilmor Homes, where Freddie Gray was killed. Everyone I knew who lived in that world regarded the police not with admiration and respect but with fear and caution. People write these feelings off as wholly irrational at their own peril, or their own leisure. The case against the Baltimore police, and the society that superintends them, is easily made:

Edited by Boges

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To jaycee - I guess we differ on what a protest is. My view is that a group of people are not satisfied by the way an incident has been dealt with and decide to meet in a public place as a group, invite the media to get the greatest exposure and through their numbers get more people to understand and support their cause.

I do understand that some people feel that unless there is disruption, violence and property damage that their cause will not be taken seriously. I am of the opposite opinion. If a group decides to enter a public place to disrupt, do damage and enter into violent confrontations with others or police, then they lose all credibility with me. I look at them as criminals and their cause as incoherent.

As to legal protests, the responsibility of the police is to protect the protesters, those on the sidelines and media personnel. They are not there to take sides. Their mandate is to maintain order.

If a group decides to protest, they apply for a permit giving the size, place etc of their intent. The police can then provide enough members to maintain order. They are also there to protect protesters from those in the crowd who disagree with their cause and are prepared to become violent in their opposition.

That is the difference, as I see it, between a protest or a riot. Those who desire to express their disagreement with government reaction are there to show their displeasure and try to build more support for their cause through their actions.

Those who desire to do damage, create chaos, steal, loot and do harm to others try to create havoc to change a protest into a riot and use the cover of angry but good people to incite violence.

You seem to have developed an knee jerk rejection to police as positive role models. I believe that policing is a difficult job and most do their job very well. There are a few weaker ones, just like there are weaker teachers, doctors, lawyers. We do not cover them all with the same blanket knowing that would be unfair and proven to be incorrect.

Why do you believe (I think) that it would be beneficial to us if we made it more difficult for the police to differentiate between legitimate protesters and those with criminal intent?

People with little or no ethics, integrity or morals are among the police ranks for sure, and they are an accurate reflection of the citizenry in general. Racists exist in police forces(black and white) because they exist in the population. You can't get a non-bigoted police force out of a bigoted general population.

Ever wonder why politicians are so unethical? The whole thing is a society problem, not a cop problem. Any and every vocation has shocking behaviour in the news if you look for it. Name a vocation that is without these idiot individuals, whether they be molesting kids, working while in an altered state, stealing, attacking, etc., you can't get away from it.

No, it's a power problem. Plenty of people might have the impulse to act unethically or immorally, very few actually do until they they have the power to get away with it. Hence the need for greater accountability and higher standards of behaviour for people in positions of trust and power instead of just shrugging it off as a byproduct of a rotten society.

To jaycee - I guess we differ on what a protest is. My view is that a group of people are not satisfied by the way an incident has been dealt with and decide to meet in a public place as a group, invite the media to get the greatest exposure and through their numbers get more people to understand and support their cause.

I do understand that some people feel that unless there is disruption, violence and property damage that their cause will not be taken seriously. I am of the opposite opinion. If a group decides to enter a public place to disrupt, do damage and enter into violent confrontations with others or police, then they lose all credibility with me. I look at them as criminals and their cause as incoherent.

"While no one condones looting, on the other hand one can understand the pent-up feelings that may result from decades of repression and people who've had members of their family killed by that regime, for them to be taking their feelings out on that regime."

Actually, far more members of family have been killed by the "people", not the "regime".

Funny, no rioting and looting to vent pent-up feelings about that. And so it goes.....

Surprised you didn't catch the source and context of the quote.

To your point, such as it is, I guess if you can't figure out the difference between people victimized by criminals and people victimized by the agents of the state which is supposed to serve protect them, you probably stick to talking about emigration patterns and your other usual go-tos.

No, it's a power problem. Plenty of people might have the impulse to act unethically or immorally, very few actually do until they they have the power to get away with it. Hence the need for greater accountability and higher standards of behaviour for people in positions of trust and power instead of just shrugging it off as a byproduct of a rotten society.

Notwithstanding those with a pump and the power to use it, crap does usually run downhill instead of up.

I'd trust Canadian cops less. They're only concerned with justifying their 6-figure by doing stupidness like this

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-father-shaken-and-upset-after-naked-4-year-old-son-prompts-police-visit-1.3052126

This wouldn't have happened pre-80s. But since then this huge child sex/molestation scare has gripped society and won't let go.

This whole incident, and others before it, are liberalism on display for everybody to see. It's the chickens coming home to roost from bad social policy, bad economic policy, education policy and sowing the seeds of grievance, jealousy, envy, and victimhood for generations.

Oh my, youve written some doozies , but thats ^ probably the dumbest thing you've ever trolled about.

Dismisses all the social isolation, all the brutality some have suffered at the hands of Police , ignores the social ills that are foisted on those of little means.

Well done and congrats on the achievment

The rioters weren't protesting anything... they were looters and thugs. They find any excuse to misbehave.

Protesting is not the same as rioting. See: MLK for lessons on how to protest effectively in response to societal discrimination and police abuses.

Surprised you didn't catch the source and context of the quote.

To your point, such as it is, I guess if you can't figure out the difference between people victimized by criminals and people victimized by the agents of the state which is supposed to serve protect them, you probably stick to talking about emigration patterns and your other usual go-tos.

I guess bc is saying the cops are just another street gang.