Global News Killed a Documentary About the Koch Bros

http://canadalandshow.com/podcast/when-global-news-killed-documentary-about-koch-brothers

Veteran investigative reporter Bruce Livesey was fired by Global News after they spiked his report on the billionaire Koch Brothers and their influence in Canada.

There's no conspiracy. No need. The MSM system naturally expunges unprofitable information like a virus.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no conspiracy. No need. The MSM system naturally expunges unprofitable information like a virus.

Any such "documentary" is really just a propaganda exercise supporting progressive ideologues. There are plenty of billionaires who spend tonnes of money supporting progressive causes that don't draw the same scrutiny as the Koches do. It is all part of the "evil capitalist" meme that progressives need to create to rationalize their belief system.

He was probably fired for wasting his time on a story that has already been told. The Koch Brothers influence in Canada....DUH.....follow the money.

Google can reveal more than Bruce Livesey or Global ever could.

Oh, seems you know exactly what was in the documentary too. We've got a couple psychics here.

Really? Because you have no idea what was in the documentary, but you've already made a conclusion about its findings. So, please, tell me more about propaganda.

ROTFL. The synopsis is the 'Koch brothers influence in Canada". Do you really believe that anyone would produce a documentary that said this influence did not exist or it is a good thing? I don't think so. The only thing this so called to documentary could be is progressive propaganda piece whining about a couple billionaires that don't have the "correct" (as defined by progressives) opinions. It is all about artificially creating a villain to rally people to the progressive banner. Edited by TimG

The Koch brothers , the new evil. The left will grab onto anything.

They're evil enough. But I doubt they have enough influence here to get this guy fired and a documentary pulled. What might have happened was they threatened to sue, the network did some fact checking and realized they wouldn't be able to defend such a documentary because of it's lack of supporting evidence.

Any such "documentary" is really just a propaganda exercise supporting progressive ideologues. There are plenty of billionaires who spend tonnes of money supporting progressive causes that don't draw the same scrutiny as the Koches do. It is all part of the "evil capitalist" meme that progressives need to create to rationalize their belief system.

Not having seen it, I don't know how you can make that assertion.

the network did some fact checking and realized they wouldn't be able to defend such a documentary because of it's lack of supporting evidence.

I would expect the network to do this whether they were threatened with a suit or not. And the Koch's are no more "evil" than any other billionaire that uses their money to influence the political debate (e.g. Tom Steyer).

...the network did some fact checking and realized they wouldn't be able to defend such a documentary because of it's lack of supporting evidence.

You'd think they would run this by the lawyers beforehand. Oh wait, they did. Listen to the podcast, it's not clear what killed it but it was killed.

You will see he has some pretty clear biases and it is not a stretch to assume that any documentary produced by him would re-enforce those biases.

Ok. Well, it doesn't seem that that would be a criteria for killing it. So we still have to wonder what Global was thinking. As for the rest of us, I like to read all points of view. For example, I talk to you.

I would fight to the paper cut your right to express your opinion here.

Ok. Well, it doesn't seem that that would be a criteria for killing it.

Well, media organizations need to consider what their audience will tolerate. It is quite possible that Global decided that an extremely biased documentary would offend too many people and they choose to not air it.

I personally have given up on the notion that media can be unbiased. All media plays to their audience and if you want balance you need to follow multiple media sources.

Well, media organizations need to consider what their audience will tolerate. It is quite possible that Global decided that an extremely biased documentary would offend too many people and they choose to not air it.

Highly doubtful. These projects don't tend to deliver up big surprises in the end. You googled the journalist's name and found on the background on him in a few scant seconds. The Global people would have already known about him and his reputation.

I personally have given up on the notion that media can be unbiased. All media plays to their audience and if you want balance you need to follow multiple media sources.

Agreed. I'm just curious to hear from Global why this doc was spiked.

Agreed. I'm just curious to hear from Global why this doc was spiked.

How many shows do networks "spike" that we never hear about? I suspect the only reason we know about this particular cancellation is it plays into the conspiracy meme that the anti-Koch brothers crowd loves. Edited by TimG

How many shows do networks "spike" that we never hear about?

A few. The CBC probably does it too.

I suspect the only reason we know about this particular cancellation is it plays into the conspiracy meme that the anti-Koch brothers crowd loves.

There are other examples mentioned on the show. The Ghomeshi scandal (also broken inadvertently by Canadaland) is an example of our public broadcaster doing things away from the embarrassing gaze of the public.

So what's the big deal....Global can do whatever they want.

Yes, but unless you want the state controlled media to direct all news, we must have confidence that private entities are fulfilling their public mandate since the airwaves, or whatever they're called nowadays, are governed for the common good.

Yes, but unless you want the state controlled media to direct all news, we must have confidence that private entities are fulfilling their public mandate since the airwaves, or whatever they're called nowadays, are governed for the common good.

What ? This is nonsense and you know it. Global "spikes" all kind of things....what's so important about this particular story ?

The "common good" is also funded with Koch Bros capital investment(s).