South Carolina Cop Shooting

The guy who shot Sammy Yatim thinks this video is damning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — A white police officer in North Charleston, S.C., was charged with murder on Tuesday after a video surfaced showing him shooting in the back and killing an apparently unarmed black man while the man ran away.

The officer, Michael T. Slager, 33, said he had feared for his life because the man had taken hisstun gun in a scuffle after a traffic stop on Saturday. A video, however, shows the officer firing eight times as the man, Walter L. Scott, 50, fled. The North Charleston mayor announced the state charges at a news conference Tuesday evening.

The shooting came on the heels of high-profile instances of police officers’ using lethal force in New York, Cleveland, Ferguson, Mo., and elsewhere. The deaths have set off a national debate over whether the police are too quick to use force, particularly in cases involving black men.

That guy needs to get the chair! Honest to God, how can you justify a summary execution like that?

He got charged, but if he gets off, I'll be fully supportive of any riots that ensue.

My big question would be, how did the cops not notice a dude filming them a few feet away?

Does anyone think that this case will be a tipping point on the rampant racism in police departments?

The dude's partner was obviously a minority. I wonder what justification he'll give for being an accomplice to this act of cold-blooded murder?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look around. You'll find the answer to that question all over this forum and a lot of other places on the internet too.

How easy it is to justify your worldview, anyway, back here in reality land, shooting a man in the back as he runs away from you is murder, to almost everyone.

The person behind th lens has said he will go public soon....what is he nuts?

SC police will know who he is. That alone is enough to scare anyone, what with the meathead ways of cops , lets hope that guy has a recorder going 24-7 to capture the sure to follow harassment.

The officer has been arrested and charged. At this point, I'm not sure what else you could want other than a public lynching.

I could suggest something a little more helpful be done than simply tuning into the friggin hockey game. How many more unarmed blacks need be shot by white cops before somebody perhaps takes a closer look at racism in US police forces.

I could suggest something a little more helpful be done than simply tuning into the friggin hockey game. How many more unarmed blacks need be shot by white cops before somebody perhaps takes a closer look at racism in US police forces.

Yes, the hockey reference is somewhat flippant and typical BC but the man has been charged with murder. So far the system is working in this case.

That true and thats fine but I wonder what would be happening had there not been someone with an Iphone or whatever nearby to capture the event.

They threw a Tazer next to the body. They were going to try to peddle a story that wasn't true.

The exact same thing happened in the Sammy Yatim shooting. They Tazed a twitching corpse to try and cover their tracks.

That true and thats fine but I wonder what would be happening had there not been someone with an Iphone or whatever nearby to capture the event.

Good question but you could say the same for any crime. The burden of proof is on the state regardless of who is being accused. The same rules of evidence apply.

They threw a Tazer next to the body. They were going to try to peddle a story that wasn't true.

The exact same thing happened in the Sammy Yatim shooting. They Tazed a twitching corpse to try and cover their tracks.

From what I took away from the video, I get the eerie feeling that the whole plan could easily have worked. Pretty severe punishment for a broken tail light.