what is your gender identity and why?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To make a distinction between the two is to deliberately lie.

I tend to agree. If there is a dispute between how you feel and what you are...the cause is almost certainly not what you are.

And you two are categorically wrong and completely uninformed on the topic. But hey, why not be just like others in this forum who are radically skeptical of science when it contradicts their ideological beliefs. You guys can just pretend that there's no commonly accepted notion in the social sciences that sex and gender are distinct things.

Here is a fanstastic primer on the topic for those who continue to show themselves completely uninformed. Too bad you'll never read it and if you do you'll just dismiss it. For anyone else who's actually honest about learning and understanding these things, here it is.

"From Eckert, Penelope and McConnell- Ginet, Sally. (To appear). Language and Gender. Second Edition. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press."

http://web.stanford.edu/~eckert/PDF/Chap1.pdf

Our society is based on accepting that perceptions are as valid as reality to the individual. If you have the perception that a person intends to take your life then you have the right to take his/her life. It may not be fact or reality to someone else but if it is "fact" for you then it is acceptable.

Nobody views the actions around us in the same manner. Even on this site, I read where a person arriving into Canada wearing some different kind of clothing is perceived as a threat to some and a positive addition to our country by others.

So Bryan, you can "feel" any way you want and perceive things based on your views but it certainly does no make it true.

Unless of course you feel that you know more than anybody and see things better than everybody and logically then, it is only you who can see the truth. There are names for people like you.

So Bryan, you can "feel" any way you want and perceive things based on your views but it certainly does no make it true.

Which is exactly what I've been saying in this thread the whole time:

Feelings and perceptions are not reality. You do not become something that you are not just because you feel like it.

I guess we could continue in a useless circle. We apparently do not agree on the meaning of certain words.

The next time some guy dies of a heart attack because somebody waved a rubber snake at him you can tell the dead guy that his death isn't real because the snake was not real but only made of rubber.

Our society is based on accepting that perceptions are as valid as reality to the individual.

No it isn't.

If you have the perception that a person intends to take your life then you have the right to take his/her life. It may not be fact or reality to someone else but if it is "fact" for you then it is acceptable.

The right to self defense only applies if you have reasonable evidence to support your belief that your life is in danger. If you go around killing people cause you think they are all aliens in disguise then you will either end up dead, in jail or in a mental institute.

Yes it is.

In the example you posted, it is assumed that the person believed that their life was in danger so they reacted in self defense. A person pulls a gun on you and squeezes the trigger. You cave his head in with an axe. The gun is found to have had only blanks. What is the reality - the perceived reality of life threatening danger to yourself or the reality that your life was really not in danger?

Look at the many examples on the board. We have cheerleaders for both sides - the far right and the far left. Both have access to the same information and "facts" but perceive that their guys are good guys and the other guys are bad guys. Most of these threads are filled with the same cheerleaders, saying the same things about the same political parties when any new "fact" is uncovered - and those on both sides are convinced that they have the reality and the others do not.

Then there is the old "is the glass half full or half empty" example. So which person is actually dealing with reality?

I believe that when we begin to understand that every person has the right to an opinion and that opinion is based on that persons perception of the world then we can have a decent discussion on issues. When a discussion takes place, each individual supplies the (facts) as they see them that have led them to that conclusion. If each listens to each others reasons for their conclusion then you many question the source of the "facts" on which you disagree. Both people are better for the conversation.

Those who have little or no substance or references for how they came to their opinion will usually become rude or derogatory to take the conversation away from substance of the issue because they realize that perhaps they are mistaken and do not want to appear dumb.

I still believe that perception is reality to the individual be it in personal relationships, business or politics. We may never really know the "reality" or "truth" but we react to our perception of it. If you accept that from others then they will accept that from you.

This is quickly descending into an objectivity vs subjectivity 'debate'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivity_%28philosophy%29

True for them.

But not true for other people. And your claim that it's nobody else's business might not be true to other people. See where subjectivism gets us? Nowhere.

Yes it is. Our society is based on accepting that perceptions are as valid as reality to the individual.

Okay genius, explain this to me. My perception is that our society is not based on accepting that perceptions are as valid as reality to the individual. Since you believe that our society is based on accepting that perceptions are as valid as reality to the individual, then you must accept my perception that our society is not based on accepting that perceptions are as valid as reality to the individual. Subjectivism isn't consistent.

What is the reality - the perceived reality of life threatening danger to yourself or the reality that your life was really not in danger?

Both are reality.

Look at the many examples on the board. We have cheerleaders for both sides - the far right and the far left. Both have access to the same information and "facts" but perceive that their guys are good guys and the other guys are bad guys. Most of these threads are filled with the same cheerleaders, saying the same things about the same political parties when any new "fact" is uncovered - and those on both sides are convinced that they have the reality and the others do not.

People being stupid/deluded, believing in dogmatic nonsense or suffering from cognitive dissonance does not imply that there is no objective reality.

Then there is the old "is the glass half full or half empty" example. So which person is actually dealing with reality?

Both. The glass is both half full and half empty.

opinion is based on that persons perception of the world

Opinion is based on more than just perception. It is also based on one's methodology to use the information from perception to form beliefs. Some people are irrational, some people suffer from cognitive dissonance, some people have a confirmation bias, some people use religious dogma, some people follow the scientific method, etc.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

To -1 - "Okay genius, explain this to me." I do not have to be a genius to understand your tone and approach. Why would I waste any time responding to somebody who makes those kinds of statements?

I do not respond to rude and impolite posts.

Find somebody who wants to argue with you - I do not.

Why would I waste any time responding to somebody who makes those kinds of statements?

Maybe you seek truth and believe that your beliefs are the most justified based on the evidence are wish to challenge your beliefs / other beliefs? No, I guess not.

How do orthodox Muslim's feel about gender issues? Have wd asked the niqab wsaring ones before letting them in by the thousand? we're letting in 250,000 Muslims to Canada per year. Soon they'll be the majority and running the country. They'll have the numbers to change the laws and nothing the rest can do about it. I hope you know what youre doing. Once I retire ill be liquidating my assests and leaving Canada. Im nit sticking around to be led by an orthodox Muslim.

I just think your obsession with Muslims borders on monomania. You seem to be a bit of a kook. What do Muslims have to do with this topic?

-k

The same people who are in support of lgbt/gender issues also support Muslim orthodoxy and their attitudes which are directly at odds with leftist Core beliefs. Seems a bit strange to me. That's all. What's the connection?

How do orthodox Muslim's feel about gender issues? Have wd asked the niqab wsaring ones before letting them in by the thousand? we're letting in 250,000 Muslims to Canada per year. Soon they'll be the majority and running the country. They'll have the numbers to change the laws and nothing the rest can do about it. I hope you know what youre doing. Once I retire ill be liquidating my assests and leaving Canada. Im nit sticking around to be led by an orthodox Muslim.

I guess that's what some said about the Chinese, Jews, Italians, Irish and other waves of immigrants.

Ho hum. Life as always.

Where are you going?

Edited by jacee