what is your gender identity and why?

So the two most common gender identities are cisgendered and transgendered. Here are the definitions:

cisgendered - state of one's gender identity matching one's assigned sex.

transgendered - state of one's gender identity not matching one's assigned sex.

An example of a transgendered person would be someone who feels that they are a boy in a girl's body and wants to be identified as male and wear masculine clothing / do masculine things.

An (extreme) example of a cisgendered person would be someone who wears a burka because they believe that god gave them a gender role that they must fill in order to get into the afterlife. A less extreme example would be Stephen Harper.

So I don't think I fit into either of the two categories, and here is why:

Gender and sex are completely different (at least according to social justice warriors). So if one accepts this, then what does it mean to identify with a gender?

From what I can tell, identifying with a gender means accepting a gender role. The boy trapped in a girl's body wants to identify with the male gender role. The woman in the burka wants to accept the female gender role.

But to me, gender roles are ancient relics of the past that make no sense in modern society. If we were living in a hunter gatherer society then they would make sense (taking advantage of biological comparative advantage), but today it makes no sense. So I reject gender roles.

As I do not accept gender roles, I cannot identify with a gender.

And if I can't identify as a gender, that makes me agendered.

Does that make sense?

Edit: Also, question for people in this thread: Do you identify as cisgendered, transgendered, agendered, polygendered or gender fluid? And if so, why?

Edited by -1=e^ipi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing you need to do is examine your body parts and then see if they jive with your intentions.

But sex and gender are completely different. So that won't help at all.

Lets hope not. My feeble mind is still struggling to figure out just who social justice warriors are.

Have you tried using google?

But to me, gender roles are ancient relics of the past that make no sense in modern society. If we were living in a hunter gatherer society then they would make sense (taking advantage of biological comparative advantage), but today it makes no sense. So I reject gender roles.

As I do not accept gender roles, I cannot identify with a gender.

And if I can't identify as a gender, that makes me agendered.

Does that make sense?

Edit: Also, question for people in this thread: Do you identify as cisgendered, transgendered, agendered, polygendered or gender fluid? And if so, why?

So you would have no problem wearing a skirt or a pink bow in your hair and walking in public?

Also, question for people in this thread: Do you identify as cisgendered, transgendered, agendered, polygendered or gender fluid? And if so, why?

Is that where you're not sure if you're a man, a woman or a parrot?

So you would have no problem wearing a skirt or a pink bow in your hair and walking in public?

I wouldn't care about wearing a skirt or a pink bow in private, nor would I care if other people chose to wear skirts or pink bows. But I would care about the fact that other people care. Much like how I think most women would have a problem with not wearing a head covering if they visit Saudi Arabia.

Anyway, one can have any preference about clothes and still be agendered (as long as the preference for clothing is not due to a desire to fit a gender role).

Is there a way to change the title of this thread to what is your gender identity and why? I am curious how people justify being cisgendered.

Go to the full editor for the first post. You should be able to do it from there.

Is there a way to change the title of this thread to what is your gender identity and why? I am curious how people justify being cisgendered.

I think what you're getting at is that one can't argue for the social construct of gender while at the same time believing in cis or trans genderism - is that correct?

If so, thats nor necessarily true. Social construct of gender could very well be the reason for transgenderism and cisgenderism. No?

Edited by BC_chick

I think what you're getting at is that one can't argue for the social construct of gender while at the same time believing in cis or trans genderism - is that correct?

If so, thats nor necessarily true. Social construct of gender could very well be the reason for transgenderism and cisgenderism. No?

Rather the opposite. As far as I can tell (someone can correct me if I want), cisgenderism and transgenderism require acceptance of gender roles. But if one rejects gender roles, then one cannot identify as either cisgender or transgender (unless they use cognitive dissonance). From what I can tell, agender is the only gender identity that is compatible with the rejection of gender roles.

I defer to BC Chick's comments and the direction she is going.

Seems to be gender identity is something each individual decides. For some of us its really not a decision. We are born that way. We are attracted to the opposite sex and we just know.

Likewise for gays. They just know and always have known and some just take a while to accept that.

Then you get those who have a set of male genitilia but feel they are women and want to change their genitilia.

In the gay community there is still a debate as to whether a person who is transgender, i.e., someone with one set of genitilia but identifies with the other sex is a self denying gay person.

You get transgendered people, i.e., a man who wants to change his body to a woman, but wants to still have sex with women. You also get woman who want to change to men but still have sex with men. Its not just you change sexes to a woman from a man and then have sx with a man.

Then you get transvestites who insist they like playing as women but are men and have no problems with being men.

Yah yah and then some.

Look sexuality is complex. For gawd's sake everyone is a perv.

O.k. better put, everyone has something unique about them.

Me, I really do not think it my place to fret about anyone else.

I believe your gender identity and sexual preference and sexual bevahiours are determined by your genetics, family and religious values, and external environmental conditioning which family and religious values are part of.

I don't think anyone can draw a line and say, you are 1005 straight or gay simply because of but one thing, but the more science reveals about genetics, the more it does appear that sexual preference might be genetically inherent.

The autopsy of female brains of lesbians showed coil structure different than straight women and identical to men. Then again men with the male coils who are gay do not show coil structure like female heterosexual brains.

We know gay has run in families and there are fascinating studies of gay twins born separate and apart.

We know straight children of gay parents are just that and are even less likely to be gay when they have gay parents suggesting their parents do not "turn" them gay.

Me personally, if Bruce Jenner wants to cut his peep off and become a woman, its his business. Me personally I don't think he is the same as a gay man. I think something in him compels him to want to change his sex and its something a healthy gay man has no need of.

That's just me.

I see gay or straight just as is. You are born that way, and you should accept yourself.

The transgendered people, for me they seem tortured and I think how they deal with that is a private matter with them and their doctor(s).

I have mediated many family disputes where gay or gender issues came up. I learned to become neutral to them all. Pretty much for me gays or straights

were not different in the problems they had anymore than say people of the different cultural groups I saw. People are pretty much the same even though we think we are different.

Sometimes though I think some people get just a tad too self indulgent with their demands. I know of a case of a man, who does not want to change his genitals but wants to be called a woman, and lives with a woman who wants to be called a man and not change her genitilia either.

O.k. people. Get a room, role play all you want but shut up already.

Also for me it was Mrs.Emma Peel of the Avengers, and Angela Cartwright on Lost in Space that determined my gender preference.

Lost in Space also taught me that there was something different about Dr. Zachary Smith.

Get a room, role play all you want but shut up already.

We do agree on one thing-an individual's choice of expression I do not have the right to prevent, unless I believe it becomes violent or life threatening or condones or incites or aids and abets a crime.

Not sure what to do with this...

To add: What I mean is, what do you say who talks about preserving expression yet continuously tells people to "shut up" ? I'm at a loss.

I agree with On Guard For Thee.

The most common definitions that I have found;

Gender - The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones.)

Sex - Either of two main categories (male or female) into which humans and many other living things are divided on the basis of reproductive functions.

To make a distinction between the two is to deliberately lie.

I tend to agree. If there is a dispute between how you feel and what you are...the cause is almost certainly not what you are.

Edited by Smallc

I tend to agree. If there is a dispute between how you feel and what you are...the problem is almost certainly not with what you are.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say that it's a problem. If someone wants to present themselves in a manner that is inconsistent with reality, that's fine. Just tell the truth when you do it.

Perception is reality to the individual. All human interaction is based on that understanding. What you think and what you feel is real to you - it may not be to others. To reject another persons feelings and beliefs as a lie or a mistake is only your spin based on your feelings and beliefs. You expect others to accept that what you feel and believe is correct but what others feel and believe are wrong.

Is that not a bit arrogant?