Canada vs Duffy vs PMO

Harper dropped the writ early to skirt election limits and out spend the competition. Unfortunately, Harper has no problems wasting public money on personal gain as this campaign extension will cost us millions. I refused to support Chretien back in the day, but thanks to Harper Jean seems squeaky clean now.

You conveniently neglected to mention The Conservatives (Harper) reduced the HST twice from 7 to 5%. They also reduced the EI tax to the amount they needed to run the program leaving more money in taxpayers pockets. Liberals take surpluses and squander them on vote buying pet projects, which some greasy Liberal always seems to get a cut.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that I am interested in is the ethical behaviour of my government officials, especially those in the top office in the land.

Companies are sitting on cash instead of making investments in property and advanced equipment, for one simple reason, cash is much easier to move offshore than hard assets. In the economic climate in Ontario and Quebec where two "progressive" governments are racing each other to the bankruptcy court, who can blame them.

As for your statement on who taxpayers money belongs to,

I think you will get some pretty strong disagreement at the doorstep if you tried to peddle that line. Harper rightly cut the HST and EI rates because this directly benefited the taxpayer, not some "progressive" free loading carpet bagger.

Liberals take surpluses and squander them on vote buying pet projects, which some greasy Liberal always seems to get a cut.

The only difference I see between Chretien and Harper is that Jean had a surplus and Steve is buying votes while running a deficit. C'mon, printing and mailing minuscule, taxable, physical childcare cheques just before dropping the writ? Also, promising money to everyone with kids up to 17 years old, instead of concentrating the money on those that actually need help was a nice touch. I guess helping just those that need it the most doesn't buy as many votes. Poilievre even managed to wear the CPC logo while announcing the vote buying plan. I wonder if the new government cheques will have the CPC logo on them again....

Like I said, Harper has turned Chretien's adscam into business as usual.

Edited by Mighty AC

The only difference I see between Chretien and Harper is that Jean had a surplus and Steve is buying votes while running a deficit. C'mon, printing and mailing minuscule, taxable, physical childcare cheques just before dropping the writ? Also, promising money to everyone with kids up to 17 years old, instead of concentrating the money on those that actually need help was a nice touch. I guess helping just those that need it the most doesn't buy as many votes. Poilievre even managed to wear the CPC logo while announcing the vote buying plan. I wonder if the new government cheques will have the CPC logo on them again....

While you blame Harper for all your ill wills, remember the pension plan is another hair-brained scheme brought to you by the Ont libs, added it to all the others: Do you blame HArper for al these?

- The Ombudsman/Auditor-General condemnations

- Turning Hydro into a luxury for the rich

- The by-election briberies

- The refusal to correct foreign ownership of our beer market

- The outrageous property assessments

- The stifling of private health services

- The illegal and unconstitutional secret G20 law

- The acceptance of garbage-striker extortion

- The hospital consultants scandal

- The Niagara Parks Commission scandal

- The tire tax

- The electronics tax

- The cheap beer surtax

- The hidden hydro tax

- The planned hidden gas tax

- The 'Eco' tax

- The auto pension bailouts

- The Nortel pension bailouts

- Will we soon add defending & appointing a traitor to a high level position in her cabinet to McWynnty's list of debacles? Time will tell.

- No reduction in HST despite $4.3 Billion from the feds

- The EHealth scandal- 1billion

- The slush fund scandal

- The lottery corp scandals

- The CancerCare scandal

- The MPAC scandal

- The Children's Aid scandal

- The forcing of WSIB on all construction owners

- The failure at Caledonia

- Selling out to the teachers & civic unions

- The blatant Nanticoke lie

- The squandering of record revenues

- The nanny-state banning of nearly everything

- The public funding of sex-changes while de-listing eye exams phsyio &

chiro

- The harassing labour inspectors

- Dumping the blue box program onto small businesses

- Imposing blood alcohol rules that punish the innocent

- The $58 Million 'severance' to tax-collectors who didn't miss a single day's

work

- Socialized daycare

- Cancelling the 'mandatory' LHIN review & giving their CEO's $15000 raises- The failure at Caledonia

- Sneaking tax-dollars into Liberals campaign team coffers

- Raising tuition & auto insurance to highest in Canada

- Sinking Ontario into Have-Not status.

--The billion point something dollar flip-flop on The Oakville gas plant

- Ornge- 1.3 billion

- Windsor Parkway- 1.4 billion

- PanAmGames- 2.5 billion as of Sep & counting

- 6- Wind turbines & solar panels......also over paying farmers for the land &/or KWs produce, who knows how much $ this one will cost in the end

- Paying others to take our excess power...

- MaRS- >1.1 Billion add at least a risky $224 million loan to the MaRS Discovery

District to bail out the new phase two tower.

- The 'smart meter' tax

- Financing 74 infrastructure projects through private-public partnerships has cost taxpayers at least $8 billion more in borrowing and other expenses than if they had

- The push for CFL light bulbs that will poison Ontario's waters & residents with mercury

- 90% of the wind turbine welfare went to just 11 companies, 80% of the subsidies went to nine companies with annual revenues over $1-billion, 60% of the subsidies went to six companies

-Bill 15, enacts amendments to the Insurance Act (Ontario) that discriminate against Ontario’s most injured accident victims by cutting their medical and care benefits by one (1) million dollars each

- The upcoming Ontario pension plan tax even though McWynnty has no idea how much it costs, how many people will be in the pool for the ORPP tax, also not explaining how the F this new tax being used on infrastructure could possibly create a return for the people forced into it.

- The upcoming carbon tax

- Stating that all public sector deals will be net zero due to the fiscal mess, the McWynnty libs played the largest part in putting us in, then turning around & breaking the election promise by giving sweet deals to Hydro One, teachers soon to come & we'll see. All this while hospitals are being forced to let go of nurses and other staff even though wait times are horrible & the system is already too ineffective. Don't let facts get i your way though, mighty ac. Turning a blind eye makes your ideology seem fine.

- MAKING ONT THE WOLRD'S MOST INDEBTED SUB-SOVEREIGN BORROWER!

The only difference I see between Chretien and Harper is that Jean had a surplus and Steve is buying votes while running a deficit.

That's fine I guess, as long as you're willing to completely ignore reality and context.

C'mon, printing and mailing minuscule, taxable, physical childcare cheques just before dropping the writ?

Changes in government payments always start in July. And the taxability of these cheques means that they're well means tested.

Also, promising money to everyone with kids up to 17 years old, instead of concentrating the money on those that actually need help was a nice touch.

So is it helping everyone, or is it being taxed back?

I guess helping just those that need it the most doesn't buy as many votes.

You can only give so much to people who don't contribute or pay taxes.

Hyperbole much?

While you blame Harper for all your ill wills, remember the pension plan is another hair-brained scheme brought to you by the Ont libs, added it to all the others: Do you blame HArper for al these?

I think you're confused as to who is running in this federal election. I'm not a fan of the current Ontario Liberals, nor was I a fan of the Chretien government by the end. I think it's important to vote out corrupt or inept governments, which is why Harper has to go.

Yet, we have members here, like yourself, trying to justify voting for the Harper party which has proven to be corrupt dozens and dozens of times over simply because past or different governments were horrible. That's ridiculous.

Harris being a disaster doesn't excuse McGuinty/Wynne

Mulroney being a crook doesn't excuse Chretien.

Chretien being a crook doesn't excuse Harper.

When governments abuse power, we have to get rid of them. Supporting an anti-democratic and corrupt PM like Harper who has abused his power just encourages and excuses bad government. That's why Harper has to go.

Harper being a crook will not excuse Mulcair or JT in the future.

Edited by Mighty AC

Well when you treat Wright with kid gloves on, he's going to sound golden.

But it looks likes that there's more than Nigel's side to this story and the wheels are starting to come off for him

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mike-duffy-trial-nigel-wright-forced-senator-to-accept-pmo-deal-lawyer-says-1.3189485?autoplay=true

WWWTT

Bayne was referring to an interview Wright had with the RCMP, in which Wright was discussing how he told the prime minister about the plan to have Duffy's expenses paid back. (Wright had testified on Wednesday that he never told Harper the plan was to have the Conservative Party fund pay for those expenses.)

In that interview, Wright said he told Harper that "we're asking, basically forcing someone, to repay money that they probably didn't owe."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mike-duffy-trial-nigel-wright-forced-senator-to-accept-pmo-deal-lawyer-says-1.3189485?autoplay=true

Didn't Harper repeatedly claim that he knew nothing of any discussions or plans between Wright and Duffy?

Edited by Mighty AC

Here's another view all but forgotten here!

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/frank-koller/nigel-wright-mike-duffy-trial_b_7984964.html

The arrogance of the 1%!

Ya Nigel Wright, you're doing us all a favour!

Funny how your "favour" does a lot of sweeping under the rug!

WWWTT

You obviously have not understood Wright's testimony.

Wright admitted today that he was not fully convinced that the expenses claimed by Duffy were not legit. Wright did think, however, that Duffy was greedy. Wright therefore decided that the tax payers should not be on the hook for Duffy's greed or be on the hook for unclear senate expense rules.

Therefore Wright always intended and did in fact pay back the tax payers. That is what he did, ultimately.

We all now what he did, it's why that is being investigated.

Ironic that Aug 10 was the day that Mac Harb was to go to trial for his fraud on housing expenses. He too paid it back, quickly, and bailed into retirement on full Senate pension.

Nobody questioned where he got a quick couple of hundred grand. Not to this day. His name is never mentioned in the media chattering, it is never included in the Duffy, Wallin, Brazeau catchphrase and all the clucking that follows.

Harb, a Liberal senator, has been untouched by the scandal, and strangely has had his trial deferred several times now. He was charged in Feb 2014, same time as Brazeau. He was to go to trial in April, then deferred to Aug 10, and now that is off til 2016. What’s going on?

And no Joan Abernethy, no one is aware. Harb has been swept under the rug from the get go. These things get legs and wings because the media so decides.

They have been chasing the fat man across the lot and up the steps for a very long time. Even that seems extraordinarily predatory.

This has sfa to do with what I posted. Is there some reason you quoted me to respond with this?

Well, a little bit of exaggeration may be okay, but I think Fraser's report said "up to 100 million", and when Gomery filed the report, he actually ended up with something like FIVE million.

Fraser's report detailed money which was misspent, and: basically designed to generate commissions for these companies rather than to produce any benefit for Canadians.

Gomery's commission only detailed criminal misspending. There was also a parliamentary committee which stared to investigate, but Martin cancelled the hearings.

The day after the report, Martin faced the nation, and called an inquiry.

With a very narrowly defined mandate and without the power to suggest criminal charges, or to explore Martin's contracting habits.

The day after the Senate scandal broke, Harper was running in the opposite direction and distancing himself as far as possible

So? The Senate has always been independent, and guarded its spending pretty jealously. The rules there were slack, and always have been, but that's not really Harper's doing. He's paid the place scant notice, any more than the rest of us have. That one or two senators got caught fudging on their expense accounts was not exactly a big deal, aside from being a media circus, and didn't involve him.

I mentioned this before and I will again. The issues of this election are not "security from terrorists" and the "economy". The issue is the integrity of our democracy.

Complete and utter nonsense. How a few senators fudging their expenses threatens democracy is beyond my ability to understand. As far as corruption goes, this Tory government has had less of it than any other federal or provincial government in my experience. Hell, the cost of going over the books of the Senate was way more than the actual money which has been suggested might have been misspent.

Edited by Argus

of course you don't care - Harper's your boy! There's nothing piddling about the incident at all... as is your misguided way, you appear to fixate on the money while conveniently ignoring the bigger picture/issues that speak to integrity, collusion, morals, ethics, respect for democracy, etc..

Funny how nobody worried about threats to democracy when Chretien was trying to have public servants who exposed his corruption imprisoned, huh? Nobody was worried when Martin continued to keep special offshore tax privileges which his own companies made use of while closing down the rest.

And the Ontario Liberals? They spent over a billion, maybe as much as two billion to shut down two gas plants in order to help their election chances in area ridings. Then they deleted all the records, the premier resigned and skipped the country, and hasn't been back since.

I don't support Harper. I'm not a party ideologue like you. I vote for the least worst alternative, and that's very clearly Harper.

Edited by Argus

Hey liberals Chretien had 13 yrs to do something and he did not. Harper is the only one that actually spoke about the senate and trying to make it better. Just like Chretien ( a former Indian affairs minister) did nothing about 1st nations. What did he do during those 13 yrs.

The only thing that I am interested in is the ethical behaviour of my government officials, especially those in the top office in the land.

When they're conservative, you mean, and only when they're conservative.

Security file will give harper another majority. Can't wait until the munk debates, when Canadians find out the liberal and NDP are not going to do anything about ISIS and other fanatic killing machines out there.

:lol: hey now... I thought this was the Federal Politics forum! Rather than attempting to deflect/distract, one would think that even OntarioLiberalBashers would know how to find the Provincial Politics forum!

Except the Ontario Liberal leader has involved herself in the federal campaign to an unprecedented degree, and she and Trudeau have been seen arm in arm on several occasions, linking them and their policies.

Hey liberals Chretien had 13 yrs to do something and he did not. Harper is the only one that actually spoke about the senate and trying to make it better. Just like Chretien ( a former Indian affairs minister) did nothing about 1st nations. What did he do during those 13 yrs.

Yeah we can all see how Harper has "fixed" the senate.

Except the Ontario Liberal leader has involved herself in the federal campaign to an unprecedented degree, and she and Trudeau have been seen arm in arm on several occasions, linking them and their policies.

some, certainly not the waldo, might say it's Harper that has interjected himself (for presumed political gain) by attacking both Alberta's Premier Notley and Ontario's Premier Wynne... Why some analysts/experts state this is a most unprecedented move by a federal politician! Harper must be getting quite desperate, hey!