Who will get 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination?

2016 Republican Presidential Nominee  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read that Trump was up until 2am ranting on Twitter about what a bitch Megyn Kelly is. He might have got some laughs with that Rosie O'Donnell line, but it sounds like he's a little bent about it.

I was also reading that Megyn got more flack from some quarters for asking Scott Walker "would you really let a mother die rather than have an abortion?" in regards to his position against abortion even in medical emergency. He gave some bs answer regarding "alternatives", but in cases like an ectopic pregnancy, there *aren't* alternatives.

Shady, I was just noticing your status update regarding Carly Fiorina. Do you think she has a shot at even getting into the next "top 10" debate, or is she just campaigning to become somebody's Vice Presidential nominee?

-k

I just read that Trump was up until 2am ranting on Twitter about what a bitch Megyn Kelly is. He might have got some laughs with that Rosie O'Donnell line, but it sounds like he's a little bent about it.

I was also reading that Megyn got more flack from some quarters for asking Scott Walker "would you really let a mother die rather than have an abortion?" in regards to his position against abortion even in medical emergency. He gave some bs answer regarding "alternatives", but in cases like an ectopic pregnancy, there *aren't* alternatives.

All three of the moderators were asking everyone tough questions........(IIRC) Chris Wallace asked Bush about his tenure on a charity that donated to Planned Parenthood.......Or Cruz's recent attack on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.....Or Chris Christie's poor economic record in New Jersey, everyone took shots

FNC puts on a creditable debate, with zero softballs for anyone......Trump got booed numerous times by the crowd, not only for his refusal to pledge not to run as an independent, but also for his past donations to the Clintons and his companies going bankrupt four times.......

Shady, I was just noticing your status update regarding Carly Fiorina. Do you think she has a shot at even getting into the next "top 10" debate, or is she just campaigning to become somebody's Vice Presidential nominee?

-k

Short-term hype aside, I doubt it:

150807130329-hp-fiorina-780x439.png

Trump will always have some appeal to populist sentiments no matter what he does or says.

He has the cash and ego to take this as far as he wants.

There is no Canadian analog.....

Considering we have an entirely different political system, yeah....you're kinda stating the mind-numbingly obvious here, Captain.

Short-term hype aside, I doubt it:

I don't claim to know whether Fiorina did a good job or not as HP CEO, but stock price isn't a very good indicator.

Tech stocks received a massive market correction in 2000. The bubble burst, and the fallout affected everybody in the sector. Some large companies didn't even survive. (Dad was working at Nortel at the time... I think he eventually bought a six-pack with the employee stock he received there.) And then the whole stock market suffered again in the months following 9/11.

Here's the tech-focused NASDAQ stock index during that time frame. You can see that the whole industry got smashed in 2000. So I don't think you can blame that stock price plunge on Fiorina.

prlS4tJ.png

-k

I watched debates of both elections and the highlights of Republican debate "for losers".

I hope that for the next debate, some of those in "A" group are dropped and Fiorina is allowed to play with the big boys. She has some interesting ideas and certainly would have not allowed that clown Trump to get away with the things he has been doing. The Republicans are looking for someone to coalesce around an anti-Trump and take him to task. Except for Paul, all others backed off afraid of alienating the Trump crazies.

Get Fiorina on stage with Trump as see what happens. It is ironic that the only candidate with the balls to flatten Trump does not have any.

I don't claim to know whether Fiorina did a good job or not as HP CEO, but stock price isn't a very good indicator.

Further to that point, Hewlett Packard split and divested a core business (e.g. Agilent Technologies) in 2000, and is doing the same thing now with PCs and printers. HP test and instruments products were its founding technology, a favorite for any scientific or engineering concern, but it is not part of HP any more.

Was Fiorina part of the decision to spin off Agilent? And, if so, was it a good choice? I think that would be a more relevant metric of Fiorina's leadership than the stock market.

-k

she's been a fairly regular guest on Real Time... she quite clearly isn't up to taking on 'talk-show guests/host', let alone a corporate boardroom... let alone political opponents. Her only dab into politics has been a failed U.S. Senate run.

a most telling/brutal assessment: The Carly Fiorina Leadership File

Was Fiorina part of the decision to spin off Agilent? And, if so, was it a good choice? I think that would be a more relevant metric of Fiorina's leadership than the stock market.

Fiorina was HP CEO from 1999-2005, so she was at the helm when Agilent was initially set up and the legacy business was spun off in 2000. Then HP doubled down on Compaq, only to see the PC market begin to shrink. Recall that IBM also spun off PCs to Lenovo.

Forbes reported that Fiorina was not directly involved with Agilent, but HP had lost half of its valuation by 2005, and she fell on her sword like a good CEO should.

I watched the full Republican debate. I agree with some of things they say, other stuff they're out to lunch. Most of them are still trapped in the 1980's referring to Reagan numerous times per hour,

Trump is so entertaining, never seen a political candidate flap their gums like this guy...but I think people will get shy of actually marking his name down on a ballot since he's so off-the-wall. Jeb Bush doesn't look comfortable in debates, he seems like a polite mild-mannered man and doesn't have an assertive attack-defend personality, which makes him look weak. Different kind of guy than his brother for sure, more like his dad.

My favorites would be either Rand Paul (though I like his dad better) or John Kasich (current Ohio governor). I was turned off my Chris Christie and Ted Cruz. Scott Walker and Mark Rubio were unimpressive. Ben Carson has no chance, too inexperienced, and GOP supporters typically don't like people with brains.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

I don't deny that her time spent at HP was during the tech bubble burst, but the reality is, she doesn't have any real experience or accomplishments to run on, other than being a women in a male dominated race.......she is like Hillary, but sans a record.

She might very well be capable, and in my mind, both her and Perry could replace Carson/Paul/Huckabee/Cruz/Christie at the next grown-up debate, and she might do well........but her sole attention to date has been from going after Trump, but so has Megan Kelly, yet nobody has suggested she would make a capable President.

I don't deny that her time spent at HP was during the tech bubble burst, but the reality is, she doesn't have any real experience or accomplishments to run on

She was CEO of one of the largest tech companies in the world at a time when some very difficult decisions needed to be made. No experience? That's a bit much. You're just discounting her experience.

She was CEO of one of the largest tech companies in the world at a time when some very difficult decisions needed to be made. No experience? That's a bit much. You're just discounting her experience.

Of course I am, she made difficult decisions sure, but they turned out to be the wrong ones and it cost her job (along with thousands of other workers)............contrast with Pailn

Sarah Palin at least ran a State successfully, yet I think one would be hard pressed to find someone (outside the Tea Party) that would suggest she would make a fine President.......how does Fiorina differ?

Of course I am, she made difficult decisions sure, but they turned out to be the wrong ones and it cost her job (along with thousands of other workers)............contrast with Pailn

Sarah Palin at least ran a State successfully, yet I think one would be hard pressed to find someone (outside the Tea Party) that would suggest she would make a fine President.......how does Fiorina differ?

Why are you comparing Fiorina to Palin and not any of the other candidates? I'm guessing because they are women and as if that has anything to do with it. Why don't you do a bit of research on the business experience of the other candidates.

Rubio. No business experience

Paul. Eye doctor

Christie. No business experience.

Cruz. None

Walker. None

Bush is the only candidate with business experience other than Fiorina.

Why are you comparing Fiorina to Palin and not any of the other candidates? I'm guessing because they are women and as if that has anything to do with it.

Simple, Fiorina and Palin share near exactly the same political beliefs, from gun rights, abortion, opposition to same-sex marriage etc, the difference, Palin sounds like backwoods mountain folk.......and was lambasted by her opponents in 2008......Fiorina is a polished Palin.

And please, drop the sexist strawman........I've already listed three prominent Republican women in this very thread, women that are largely socially moderate and have experience that would aide in their holding of the most (or second most) powerful position in the World........

Why don't you do a bit of research on the business experience of the other candidates.

What does that mater? I never suggested business experience was the sole prerequisite to be President (By far, the most accomplished US Presidents have been successful Governors). With Fiorina, her experience is in business, and a piss-poor experience at that......

Why are you comparing Fiorina to Palin and not any of the other candidates? I'm guessing because they are women and as if that has anything to do with it. Why don't you do a bit of research on the business experience of the other candidates.

Rubio. No business experience

Paul. Eye doctor

Christie. No business experience.

Cruz. None

Walker. None

Bush is the only candidate with business experience other than Fiorina.

Hell, even compare her to other business leaders that are in the running like....oh....I dunno....the guy who declared bankruptcy on more than one occasion?

Hell, even compare her to other business leaders that are in the running like....oh....I dunno....the guy who declared bankruptcy on more than one occasion?

Or Jeb Bush, to whom, was both successful in business and political office.

Simple, Fiorina and Palin share near exactly the same political beliefs, from gun rights, abortion, opposition to same-sex marriage etc, the difference, Palin sounds like backwoods mountain folk.......and was lambasted by her opponents in 2008......Fiorina is a polished Palin.

And please, drop the sexist strawman........I've already listed three prominent Republican women in this very thread, women that are largely socially moderate and have experience that would aide in their holding of the most (or second most) powerful position in the World........

Again, you are comparing her to women who are not in the running. Nice back pedalling though!

Edited by WestCoastRunner

If support for gun rights, opposition to abortion, and opposition to same sex marriage make you like Sarah Palin, then every Republican candidate in recent history is like Sarah Palin. Those positions are essentially mandatory for any Republican candidate. If you don't share those positions (plus a robust faith in Jeeeezusss) then you can't be the Republican nominee.

Can you refresh our memory? I've forgotten who they were.

-k

Again, you are comparing her to women who are not in the running. Nice back pedalling though!

So? Just because she has decided to run doesn't translate into her being a viable choice.........Palin ran for Vice President, do you feel she was then a viable choice? If not, why do you feel Fiorina is qualified now?

And where have I back peddled? Your posts are barely worth a response, let alone recanting of ones own views.