Toronto named best place to live.

guyser

For the lakes and sunshine and fun....why the hell not.

It said its the best place to live, not 'we can never leave it'.

Sure. Best place to live because of all the lakes and sunshine and fun. Oops! I meant to say miles and miles of dirty smelly streets and neighborhoods, miles of concrete and asphalt. Miles of people living on top of each other like insects crammed together. You can keep it, that place has nothing to offer that I need or want, just a bunch of deluded people who think they're great because they live in a giant stinking sprawling slum.

For myself I'll stick to my place that sits on ten acres and has clean air and privacy. The place where I can step out the back door and hop on my bike and go for a rip along miles of trails. The place where I can go five minutes up the road, pop the boat into the water and catch supper. That place where I can come home afterwards and light the outdoor fire place to cook some fresh caught fish before friends come over and we start the music up and have fun until we're too tired to go on. All while no one complains about what we do or when we do it.

To each their own I guess. Just don't try and tell me that you're in the greatest place to be when it's obvious to any one but a deluded fool that you clearly aren't.

Sure. Best place to live because of all the lakes and sunshine and fun. Oops! I meant to say miles and miles of dirty smelly streets and neighborhoods, miles of concrete and asphalt. Miles of people living on top of each other like insects crammed together. You can keep it, that place has nothing to offer that I need or want, just a bunch of deluded people who think they're great because they live in a giant stinking sprawling slum.

Wow, where the hell did that come from ? Theres some serious issues at play in your post.

For myself I'll stick to my place that sits on ten acres and has clean air and privacy. The place where I can step out the back door and hop on my bike and go for a rip along miles of trails. The place where I can go five minutes up the road, pop the boat into the water and catch supper. That place where I can come home afterwards and light the outdoor fire place to cook some fresh caught fish before friends come over and we start the music up and have fun until we're too tired to go on. All while no one complains about what we do or when we do it.

Sounds very nice. Its why I like going to my cottage. Im glad the locals get to enjoy the fruits of my property taxes that I dont get to enjoy, but thats okay, its worth it.

To each their own I guess. Just don't try and tell me that you're in the greatest place to be when it's obvious to any one but a deluded fool that you clearly aren't.

Funny thing is....I didnt tell you anything.

The Economist did. At least theres some validity to what they said versus the giant pile of crap you posted.

Like..............

dirty smelly streets and neighborhoods,

they live in a giant stinking sprawling slum ( <-quite laughable)

Thanks for the laugh.

Like..............

dirty smelly streets and neighborhoods,

they live in a giant stinking sprawling slum ( <-quite laughable)

You probably don't notice because that's where you exist. Others do notice. On the odd occasion that I absolutely have to go there I can tell you that I smell the place before we even get close. When we are there I can't get out of the place fast enough. Yes, it does stink, and yes it is dirty, and yes it is sprawling and unkempt.

As for your serious issues claim, why? Because I see it for what it is? A sprawling morass of people crowded together patting each other on the back while deluding themselves in to thinking that's it, nothing could get better? I wouldn't live their if you paid me to. Simple as that. Unfortunately those people now desire to live here. As a result we have ugly subdivisions of cookie cutter houses crammed in together springing up and being populated by rude self absorbed people who don't even try to live in the place they chose to move to. Instead they bitch about how it isn't the big stink. They should just stay down there instead of destroying this place.

You probably don't notice because that's where you exist.

I do live here and notice there is pollution, but that doesnt mean its a stinky place. Any city of size has it owns issues that way, Hamilton, Thunder Bay ...any city of size.

Do I prefer the cottage air? Of course. Thats one of the reasons why I go.

Others do notice. On the odd occasion that I absolutely have to go there I can tell you that I smell the place before we even get close. When we are there I can't get out of the place fast enough.

I smell it too. Is there any place of size that doesnt ?

Yes, it does stink, and yes it is dirty, and yes it is sprawling and unkempt.

Dont travel much I assume.

As for your serious issues claim, why? Because I see it for what it is?

No not for what you see, but the hyperbole you use to describe it is rather funny and would appear you never spent any time exploring it.

I wouldn't live their if you paid me to. Simple as that. Unfortunately those people now desire to live here. As a result we have ugly subdivisions of cookie cutter houses crammed in together springing up and being populated by rude self absorbed people who don't even try to live in the place they chose to move to. Instead they bitch about how it isn't the big stink. They should just stay down there instead of destroying this place.

Hmmm...I wonder if you say the same thing when you review the family finances and see the constant increase in property value you enjoy.

I wonder if your same town folk realize that some of the perks of the town comes off the back of those cottagers who duly pay prop taxes while at the same time dont get the use of the town services they pay for.

So much for "to each their own" eh? Jesus.

Sounds great...for a long weekend getaway or a retiree. To live like that? *shudder*

Sounds great...for a long weekend getaway or a retiree. To live like that? *shudder*

Sure thing Hot Diggity Dog. Boating and fishing are retiree activities. Too bad the millions upon millions of people who enjoy these things disagree with you. Sure do see a lot of retree's riding dirt bikes and partying into the wee hours as well. You can keep your scurrying rat race, I'll live the Permanent Vacation (as Max Webster so aptly said) instead. Yup, you have a very strange view of retirement indeed.

The never ending city rat race *shudder*.

Not to mention that lovely yellowish brown pall that hangs over the dump. You know, the one we can see clearly from 40 or 50 miles away.

Guyser, you do know what they say about assuming don't you? Your comment about travel clearly bears out the first part of it. Especially when you consider the fact that I've travelled more in my life so far than you most likely ever will. Leaving out my childhood when I lived in Africa and Australia, not to mention England I pretty well spent 11 years as an adult travelling around 9 months out of each year. Oh well, assumptions.

Guyser, you do know what they say about assuming don't you? Your comment about travel clearly bears out the first part of it. Especially when you consider the fact that I've travelled more in my life so far than you most likely ever will. Leaving out my childhood when I lived in Africa and Australia, not to mention England I pretty well spent 11 years as an adult travelling around 9 months out of each year. Oh well, assumptions.

Well thats great, if too not a tad presumptuous of you about my travels , however your words dont protray that travel exprience if all you see is slums , pollution and garbage in TO .

The facts dont bear you out I am afraid.

You gotta give some props to Rob Ford as well. Obviously he did a fairly good job, despite his vast personal problems.

LOL. No.

Sure thing Hot Diggity Dog. Boating and fishing are retiree activities. Too bad the millions upon millions of people who enjoy these things disagree with you. Sure do see a lot of retree's riding dirt bikes and partying into the wee hours as well

Ok so retirees and hillbillies. Cheerfully corrected.

Ahh, the old condescending hillbillie play, how original of you. And how revealing as well. Thank you, with that simple statement you've revealed so much about yourself. Unfortunately it really isn't anything to be proud of. So, in your opinion anyone who enjoys boats and bikes and fishing, also the company of friends is a hillbilly? Those who enjoy nature and clean air and lots of space to live are hillbillies? Really!

it's your contention that cities are the only places that harbour people of substance or intelligence? Are you really so simple, or is it that your Hipster jeans have cut off all circulation to your brain? Personally I would contend that it must be the latter. I'm pretty sure Guyser has a boat at his cottage that he enjoys, maybe he even fishes. What a sorta hillbillie. Oh well, he's in good company. As I said before, millions upon millions of people enjoy these things.

I'll give you one thing though. You do embody all the qualities of city people that others find laughable and contemptible at the same time.

Ahh, the old condescending hillbillie play, how original of you. And how revealing as well. Thank you, with that simple statement you've revealed so much about yourself. Unfortunately it really isn't anything to be proud of. So, in your opinion anyone who enjoys boats and bikes and fishing, also the company of friends is a hillbilly? Those who enjoy nature and clean air and lots of space to live are hillbillies? Really!

it's your contention that cities are the only places that harbour people of substance or intelligence? Are you really so simple, or is it that your Hipster jeans have cut off all circulation to your brain? Personally I would contend that it must be the latter. I'm pretty sure Guyser has a boat at his cottage that he enjoys, maybe he even fishes. What a sorta hillbillie. Oh well, he's in good company. As I said before, millions upon millions of people enjoy these things.

I'll give you one thing though. You do embody all the qualities of city people that others find laughable and contemptible at the same time.

Good point. It reveals a stereotyping bigot. But see, it's ok to stereotype certain people. Now gays, blacks, muslims, etc, that's totally wrong! But this particular group is fair game. It's the progressive mindset.

Ahh, the old condescending hillbillie play, how original of you. And how revealing as well. Thank you, with that simple statement you've revealed so much about yourself. Unfortunately it really isn't anything to be proud of.

Is this different from your characterization of city dwellers as ignorant rats and "deluded fools"? Guess you can dish it out but can't take it.

So, in your opinion anyone who enjoys boats and bikes and fishing, also the company of friends is a hillbilly?

No. My position is those are things enjoyed by hillbillies.

it's your contention that cities are the only places that harbour people of substance or intelligence?

No. If I thought so, I'd say so,

Are you really so simple, or is it that your Hipster jeans have cut off all circulation to your brain? Personally I would contend that it must be the latter. I'm pretty sure Guyser has a boat at his cottage that he enjoys, maybe he even fishes. What a sorta hillbillie. Oh well, he's in good company. As I said before, millions upon millions of people enjoy these things.

For a guy who is all about how chill living in the boondocks makes you, you're a combative little cuss. Here's a newsflash, Lil' Abner: not everyone likes the things you like. Some people might even like the things you don't. For the kind of things I'm into and for where I am in my life, Toronto is one of the best places to live. According to you, though, I'm a deluded fool. And if calling people out on their hypocrisy and ignorance is a "quality of city people", well, that's another tick in the pro column for the city mouse.

You gotta give some props to Rob Ford as well.

The realization that Ford Nation folk are not fond of reading I suppose is true... ;)......since none of the categories used to rate the winners has anything to do with Rob Ford.

Now if the index included buffoonery , clueless management , ability to consume drugs and alcohol on city time (and property and criminal friends and buddies......well , TO would have ranked at the top again .

How long is your commute?