The Day The Snow Ate New York

Big Guy

I am surprised and disappointed that with the technology available today that weather forecasting has not appeared to have advanced to a point where we can predict with certainty, how the atmosphere will react.

We can send and drop a probe on Mars and the Moon is easy access.

With enough sensors, historical empirical data, longitudinal data and an understanding of physics and chemistry, I would have assumed that by now we would have developed computer programs which would give us accurate and timely results.

Weather and climate have such an important impact on economics that I would assume that the anticipation and prediction of changes would be a priority.

I could continue but the arthritis in my hands is acting up - BTW - that means rain is coming.

I'll refer you to your earlier post, damned if they do AND don't.

Exactly correct. If they didn't shut down flights and the storm had been 30 miles west, there would have been people stuck all over the place in places they weren't scheduled to go, and the airlines would have been on the hook for hotel rooms up the ying yang. Funny people don't seem to understand that. Is it like the first time it has happenned?

Apparently NYC got off pretty easy vis a vis the forecast. Seems the storm veered a bit. The Canadian east coast looks to be taking the brunt of it now.

A forecast for 24" - 36" is unbelievably extreme and should not have been made. We've had two storms over 24" and one of those is highly dubious. The first, on 12/26-27/1947 was legit. New York City got 26.4" and the suburbs 40 km to the north got 36" or so. The difference is explained by a small admixture of sleet/ice pellets that is common. The second one, in February 2006 supposedly left 26.9". No doubt it was an intense storm but the surrounding stations came in with 18"-20". I doubt that record.

For safety's sake they should have forecast 12" to 18". That would advise all that a dangerous storm was on the way. This was overhyped.

Airlines have more places to serve than the US north east and have to allocate resources accordingly. Like everyone else when it comes to weather, they make an educated guess and hope for the best. The least expensive jet airliner Boeing makes starts at just under $80M USD. They don't make any money sitting on the ground.

A forecast for 24" - 36" is unbelievably extreme and should not have been made. We've had two storms over 24" and one of those is highly dubious. The first, on 12/26-27/1947 was legit. New York City got 26.4" and the suburbs 40 km to the north got 36" or so. The difference is explained by a small admixture of sleet/ice pellets that is common. The second one, in February 2006 supposedly left 26.9". No doubt it was an intense storm but the surrounding stations came in with 18"-20". I doubt that record.

For safety's sake they should have forecast 12" to 18". That would advise all that a dangerous storm was on the way. This was overhyped.

The storm got bumped offshore around NT and Boston. Do we know how much snow then fell into the Atlantic? Forecasters do a pretty good job but sometimes they miss. This was/is a huge storm and if warnings weren't given everybody would be really upset. Better safe than sorry as the old adage goes.

I'm not saying vigilance and planning isn't a good thing. But a shut down of the city before you can be 100% sure it will hit is overkill.

According to what I've heard, Fox News and friends were castigating the mayor for not closing the schools early enough during last year's snowstorm. It seems like his enemies want it both ways.

The storm got bumped offshore around NT and Boston. Do we know how much snow then fell into the Atlantic? Forecasters do a pretty good job but sometimes they miss. This was/is a huge storm and if warnings weren't given everybody would be really upset. Better safe than sorry as the old adage goes.

Exactly my point. More likely rain if falling into the Atlantic but we agree.

I was watching the weather channel closely, and at the peak intense period of the storm, most of the precipitation was falling over the Atlantic. So anyone with an ounce of sense, should consider it to be like dodging a bullet.

I was watching the weather channel closely, and at the peak intense period of the storm, most of the precipitation was falling over the Atlantic. So anyone with an ounce of sense, should consider it to be like dodging a bullet.

Unfortunately the Canadian east coast didn't quite dodge that bullet. I was just chatting with a friend who was visiting family down there and she said it was "wicked". I held short of gloating about the west coast wx.

Unfortunately the Canadian east coast didn't quite dodge that bullet. I was just chatting with a friend who was visiting family down there and she said it was "wicked". I held short of gloating about the west coast wx.

You're right. It seems like even our media was devoting more attention to the storm coverage in Boston, than in Newfoundland.