Ok, how about Istanbul?

Smallc

To be clear, I'm not talking about a group excursion. I set up at a hotel with convenient walking and transit access, and spend the week exploring. Is it enough time? Of course not, but given my job and who has to take over for me when I'm gone (my parents) it's the most I'm willing to do.

A one day group excursion can be good if it's a place you've never been to so you can get a sense of where you're going to spend more time the rest of the trip. But the whole vacation being lead around with the same group? Yeah, I can't understand why anyone goes on those. Maybe people who have anxiety issues??

A one day group excursion can be good if it's a place you've never been to so you can get a sense of where you're going to spend more time the rest of the trip. But the whole vacation being lead around with the same group? Yeah, I can't understand why anyone goes on those. Maybe people who have anxiety issues??

I used to think like this too. About two months ago when I could safely make such judgements based on no experience.

Wife and I then took G Adventures through Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam.

It's really nice not having to worry about booking more than a dozen hotels, a home stay, two overnight trains, overnight boat, 2 day Mekong River cruise etc....

In the meantime, we met new people who are now friends and are already making plans to visit them in the future.

I used to think solo backpacking was the way to go - I am quite introverted after all.

Now I prefer the company of other travellers so I can listen to their experiences and share new ones.

Rent an apt. Save the hotel money for exploring.

Much better to have coffee in the morning in your own kitchen like a normal unwashed person than cleaning up onesself and seeking it outside.

Last yr I did Australia this way, cheaper to rent a condo than a hotel room, and the condos were twice the size of any hotel room.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

My preference is on the first day take one of those  hop on, hop off bus tours.  They give you a sense of the place, and many ideas on where to return for a closer look on foot.  You can also take a guided tour bus, but inevitably they turn into a constant pitch to buy stuff all day.

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, overthere said:

My preference is on the first day take one of those  hop on, hop off bus tours.  They give you a sense of the place, and many ideas on where to return for a closer look on foot.  You can also take a guided tour bus, but inevitably they turn into a constant pitch to buy stuff all day.

They are the best thing. I like taking them even in cities I am familiar with because I always learn something. 

Other neat things about Istanbul: the plane trees of Sultanahmet - very impressive to an outbacker facing withered black spruce most of the time; boat trips; Turkish Delight; driving back and forth between Europe and Asia; how they shave your neck when they give you a haircut. I looked half-human afterwards and have been doing it when I shave ever since.

• Downvote 1

• 5 months later...

Please dont come to my country. 

German government warned its citizens about Turkiye of being dangerous for them, all the newspapers prepared news to "warn" their citizens but according to German tourism company Thomas Cook, Turkiye is the third most preferred country by Germans during the summer and the most preffered one in June :lol: even the German newspaper owners come Turkiye for their holidays. Idiot kafirs.