Anyone here been to Hong Kong

Smallc

Once before the handover.......my impression was crowded, dirty, and stunk, but had cheap bars....not sure if its changed under the new management...I much more preferred Tokyo, Kure, Yokohama and Singapore............Save the money and just spend a week in Richmond, British Columbia.

Only been to the airport on the way to/from Thailand and Vietnam. The airport is nice but maybe you should go to HK and report back to us?

Agree with Derek about Richmond: spent the night there on the way back from Vietnam and it definitely feels Asian (in a good way) but lacks the warmth you are probably looking for.

HK is close to Thailand so consider taking the cheap flight there and then go to south Thailand ?

I do recommend Vietnam but the travel visa requirement is a pain so a little bit of lead time is recommended.

Agree with Derek about Richmond: spent the night there on the way back from Vietnam and it definitely feels Asian (in a good way) but lacks the warmth you are probably looking for.

Richmond is a North American city suburb with a lot of Asian faces and a few Chinese signs. It is nothing like Hong Kong. If you want the Hong Kong feel then downtown Vancouver would be a lot closer because of all of the towers.

Richmond is a North American city suburb with a lot of Asian faces and a few Chinese signs. It is nothing like Hong Kong. If you want the Hong Kong feel then downtown Vancouver would be a lot closer because of all of the towers.

You would think, but downtown is far too quite and the air too breathable.........Richmond has far more than a few Chinese signs mind-you, and of course, the noise from the airport......

But I agree, save the money and spend a week in Vancouver and Richmond....for the real Hong Kong experience ;)

I disagree about spending time in Vancouver/Richmond.

Too boring.

Go to HK or fly on to south Thailand if you are looking for some heat and some relaxation.

But if he wants a sandy beach and heat, go to Cuba on the cheap or better yet, the Bahamas........perfect time of year to go to the Caribbean.

Downtown Chinatown in Vancouver is nothing like the Richmond experience as far as Chinese culture goes. With that being said the Richmond experience is nothing like Hong Kong as far as Chinese culture goes. Especially the Cuisine though Vancouver has much to offer it does not compare in any way to evening dining in Hong Kong. And the Richmond market is nothing like the markets you will find in Hong Kong If you're big on shopping, trust me Hong Kong is much better than the Aberdeen in Richmond or even the nearby Metropolis Mall. If you want the true Chinese experience go to Hong Kong, go to Vancouver to experience Vancouver.

Edited by PrimeNumber

I'm getting married in the Bahamas either next year or the year after.

Stay at Atlantis.....we did it a few years back for the family at Christmas, after the wife and I going several times prior, but go off-season and you'll save a fortune....but pay the extra money to stay in either the Royal Towers or the Cove.....don't bother with the Beach or Coral towers.

I'm headed to San Jose del Cabo this summer, and on the way back, I'll be spending almost 24 hours in Vancouver. I was only there for a night before, so I plan to spend the morning exploring a few things.

Thats not enough time, but whatever you do, don't spend it in Richmond.....right at the Airport (near the main entrance) there is a SkyTrain station that will take you downtown (Canada Line Airport to Waterfront , the end of the line so you won't get lost)......if you're overnight, stay downtown and you'll enjoy Granville st, Robson st and Gastown etc

Once before the handover.......my impression was crowded, dirty, and stunk, but had cheap bars....not sure if its changed under the new management..

Haven't been there, but have seen videos of the place. It has changed HUGELY, into a glittering, ultra-modern city awash in money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htuj-fmfKcU

Edited by Argus

Haven't been there, but have seen videos of the place. It has changed HUGELY, into a glittering, ultra-modern city awash in money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htuj-fmfKcU

Like I said, I was there over 25 years ago, it could have changed for the better, but I don't doubt its still overcrowded......and if funds are limited, there are many other Asian options were ones money would go further.......outside of Manila, the Philippines is very nice (and cheap).

Stay at Atlantis.....we did it a few years back for the family at Christmas, after the wife and I going several times prior, but go off-season and you'll save a fortune....but pay the extra money to stay in either the Royal Towers or the Cove.....don't bother with the Beach or Coral towers.

We were thinking of staying at Breezes and going with the more expensive wedding packager there. All told, it ends up being far less than a wedding here.

• 3 weeks later...

I could be mistaken to think that HK as a former British territory and even today's major financial centre that even though the city is Chinese it also practically functions in English and you don't have to worry about getting by in English.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Hong Kong is one of the great financial cities of the world. But it appeals more to shoppers than resort types. It has great air connections to literally everywhere in Asia and beyond.

But if he wants a sandy beach and heat, go to Cuba on the cheap or better yet, the Bahamas........perfect time of year to go to the Caribbean.

Better yet, go to Bali. Cheap, safe, friendly people, good food, good shopping and very interesting culture. Did I mention it is cheap. You might even travel through Hong Kong.