Uber has no hope in this town

Argus

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that's a no. A handful of result as opposed to people actually buying private cars currently.

That's a no? You asked if there was demand, clearly there is. I didn't say it was huge, I said it was there and it was growing and why and why the need will only grow. It's just a matter of the rate of growth, which I think can only go up because its more efficient.

That's a no? You asked if there was demand, clearly there is. I didn't say it was huge, I said it was there and it was growing and why and why the need will only grow. It's just a matter of the rate of growth, which I think can only go up because its more efficient.

Bike Sharing is a booming business too eh?

This basically boils down to trying to predict the future though. I'm sure if you're certain these options will soon be the standard you're investing in car sharing.

Bike Sharing is a booming business too eh?

This basically boils down to trying to predict the future though. I'm sure if you're certain these options will soon be the standard you're investing in car sharing.

There are at least six bicycle rental places where I live. There were none 10 years ago.

Basically I'll probably start by becoming an Uber driver but I'm going to wait a little longer to see if Uber can survive the resistance to government and corporate resolve to maintain the efficiency of the monopoly they have going.

Basically I'll probably start by becoming an Uber driver but I'm going to wait a little longer to see if Uber can survive the resistance to government and corporate resolve to maintain the efficiency of the monopoly they have going.

Until Uber lays you off because it'll go to the roaming robot car model.

No, it isn't we have free market in canada with regulations and licensing. It would be like saying there is no free market in automobiles because you need a license to drive one. Such a view is incorrect.

In Toronto, the number of plates is artificially constrained and the sale of said plates is highly regulated. So no, there's no free market there.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/12/14/ttcs-lawyers-to-examine-uberhop-commuting-service.html

The Toronto Transit Commission is asking its legal department to look into the new UberHop service, offering $5 flat rates for commuters on four routes during weekday rush hours, and see if violates the TTC’s monopoly.

“We’ll have our lawyers have a look at this business model, and determine whether it is in contravention of the City of Toronto Act or not, and go from there,” said TTC spokesman Brad Ross.

The legislation gives the TTC the right to operate all public transportation services, with a few exceptions such as tour buses, school buses and free shuttle services.

Tracey Cook, the city’s head of municipal licensing and standards, added the city is also reviewing UberHop’s operations for compliance with existing legislation.

Uber is launching its latest service Tuesday, where up to six commuters from Liberty Village, Fort York, City Place and the Distillery District can take an Uber SUV or minivan to go downtown during morning rush hour and back home in the evening.

I can't wait to see bus drivers trying to shut down the city because people choose Uber over their unpleasant public transit option.

The Toronto Transit Commission is asking its legal department to look into the new UberHop service, offering $5 flat rates for commuters on four routes during weekday rush hours, and see if violates the TTC’s monopoly.

Violates a monopoly? What a bizarre way to frame things. The TTC's mandate is now a right...the arguments just get weirder and weirder.

Edited by eyeball

• 3 weeks later...

Surge pricing is not a reason to restrict Uber. It's supply and demand and it's smart. You'd be waiting a long time for a traditional cab.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/edmonton-uber-rider-wants-fare-cap-or-warning-in-wake-of-1114-bill-on-new-years-eve

An Uber passenger is calling for a fare cap and better warnings after his ride across Edmonton cost more than a transatlantic flight.

Matt Lindsay accepted a ride at 8.9 times the regular fare on New Year’s Eve, trying to get to St. Albert from a wedding in the south end of Edmonton. A bill of $1,114 landed in his inbox after the ride.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been in that state of shock before,” said the electrical technologist and NAIT student.

Uber uses what it calls “surge pricing” during periods of high demand to get more drivers on the road serving passengers. Customers are warned about the increased price in the app before they accept the ride, but it still seems to catch many users by surprise. News stories quoting angry customers cropped up across the globe.

This dude is a certifiable moron.

Edited by Boges

The private Sector responding to market conditions far faster than governments.

Aviva is going to offer insurance for ride-sharers so you don't need expensive commercial auto insurance. I wonder if anyone will actually sign up.

https://www.avivacanada.com/article/aviva-canada-offer-personal-coverage-ride-sharing-drivers

January 6, 2016 (Toronto, ON) – Responding to the growing use of ride-sharing services and the need to protect both passengers and drivers, Aviva Canada – one of the country’s leading providers of home, automobile, leisure/lifestyle and business insurance – is excited to announce the launch of coverage for drivers that carry paying passengers in their own vehicles.

The coverage will become available for Ontario drivers in early February, and is a simple addition to an Aviva-insured personal auto policy. Aviva will be working with regulators across the country to make the solution available in other provinces in the coming months.

"With ride-sharing on the rise, consumers have new options available to them, however there is a gap in insurance coverage which potentially leaves them without appropriate protection and benefits. When consumer needs change, we must evolve our insurance solutions to respond," said Greg Somerville, President and CEO of Aviva Canada. "We're excited to offer a simple and affordable solution within a driver's existing personal auto policy, thereby providing drivers and passengers with absolute peace of mind that they have insurance coverage while ride-sharing."

The coverage will protect ride-sharing drivers (such as those contracted with UberX and the like) from the moment they initiate looking for passengers through to collecting and dropping off those passengers. Eligibility for coverage will be based on some simple underwriting criteria (eg, maximum of eight passengers, licensed for a minimum of six years, no other commercial use, etc.).
The coverage will be available for drivers that spend up to 20 hours a week participating in ride-sharing. The cost for the additional coverage will equate to a small portion of the income earned by the driver, calculated using factors such as time spent ride-sharing, area driven and driving record.

Doug Heaman, Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (IBAO) President said, "IBAO is pleased to see an insurance company taking a proactive stance in the ride-sharing space. Aviva’s approach and coverage options are welcome as many of our members are struggling to provide clear insurance options for their customers to ensure they are properly covered.”

Aviva is going to offer insurance for ride-sharers so you don't need expensive commercial auto insurance. I wonder if anyone will actually sign up.

I won't knowingly enter an uninsured vehcile, so they'd better post their policy where I can see it.

The fine for driving without insurance in AB is $3000. I hope the cops start enforcing that soon with Uber taxi service drivers.

Same reason people tell the insurance company a different address from their own or lie about the average mileage they use the car each day. To save money.

Sounds like insurance companies need to tighten up their protocols then. You'd never get away with something as easy as that in the fishermen's insurance co-op I've dealt with.

Sounds like insurance companies need to tighten up their protocols then. You'd never get away with something as easy as that in the fishermen's insurance co-op I've dealt with.

It only becomes a problem when someone makes a claim. Then they can reject a claim. But insurance fraud is a huge problem.

That's why I lean more and more towards just saturating the world with cameras. The demand and requirement for near certainty and utter accountability in virtually everything we do these days will ultimately push us in that direction. We can just use the same cameras we'll be wearing to protect ourselves from overzealous child welfare officials bent on protecting our kids from us.

It's vicious world that way now.

That's why I lean more and more towards just saturating the world with cameras. The demand and requirement for near certainty and utter accountability in virtually everything we do these days will ultimately push us in that direction. We can just use the same cameras we'll be wearing to protect ourselves from overzealous child welfare officials bent on protecting our kids from us.

It's vicious world that way now.

I'm sure an insurance company can easily find out where a person lives.

My concern is the trend towards monitoring everything a driver does. We have that with Dejardin's Adjusto. They put a GPS on your car and give you discounts by how safe you drive. It's voluntary and you can't be penalized for using it. . . YET!

But I could see future model where insurance is actually charged based on usage like an electricity bill. You have a base rate based on location and you get a charge based on km driven and can be penalized for speeding or unsafe driving.

Now you want Robot yesterday so I doubt you share this concern but that level of intrusion is troubling to me.

I guess this model would ensure Uber riders have the proper insurance though. :huh:

Edited by Boges

It's difficult to enforce unless cops pose as Uber customers. There's absolutely no way to prove the person driving you isn't a friend.

They've laid a couple hundred charges on Uber in Edmonton and Calgary, hitting the courts now. I don't know why you think it is hard for a cop or bylaw officer to pose as a customer, that is exactly what they did. They prove it isn't a friend by swearing in court "this person is not my friend". See, easy.