• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please elaborate.

I'm not asking for a name, just give us a sense of what happened

thanks

WWWTT

being 'careless' with your passport.

I have a niece who got her first one at age 21. Over the next 20 months she had it replaced twice, once because she lost it(legit), the next because it was stolen(I suspect she sold it). With the stolen one, the CDN Embassy gave her a passport with a short expiry date, enough to get her home. That one got completely soaked (drunken escapade)and was severely damaged though legible. When she arrived in Canada, they kept the letest one(surprise!) at airport Immigration. She later got a letter saying they were investigating the circumstances and to contact the passport office. She was invited in for an interview and there was advised no passport would be forthcoming while the investigation took place. It would take about a year. That was almost a year ago.

They were very pissed with her. No guarantee she'll get another, but if I was betting I think she will get another soon.

I also had a passport stolen in Senegal(legit), and got a short term one for 6 months as I recall. No problem renewing though when I got home.

I also had a passport stolen in Senegal(legit), and got a short term one for 6 months as I recall. No problem renewing though when I got home.

Thanks for sharing that.

I would assume that selling your passport would be a criminal offense. If so, a passport suspension would sound like a reasonable penalty if found guilty.

WWWTT

That depends on how you feel about this thread?

If you agree with the government, then I hit the nail on the head,

If you disagree, then i misread your comment.

Regardless, the Canadian government pre Harper conservatives used to petition foreign governments who executed Canadians, strictly because there is no death penalty withing Canada!

Just going from memory, I believe there were cases from the US China and Iran where this happened.

WWWTT

Governments petition on behalf of their citizens all the time, that's part of their job but the other country is under no obligation to comply with our requests or obey our laws

We also do not extradite foreign citizens if they could get the death penalty in another country unless that country agrees not to impose it.

How about commiting an indictable offence in Canada, or a similar offence abroad. How about going to prison or being refused permission to leave the country. That's just a few.

looks like you're right!

Makes some sense too because there is the possibility you can flee.

You still need to provide links, I'll let you off the hook this time buddy!

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpassport.gc.ca%2Fprotection%2Frevocation.aspx%3Flang%3Deng&ei=ELUgVMLWCKaIsQSH4ICoBA&usg=AFQjCNEb6fVEOQkVJFQhyNx6lCOfJcQUSg&bvm=bv.75775273,d.cWc&cad=rja

WWWTT

Governments petition on behalf of their citizens all the time, that's part of their job but the other country is under no obligation to comply with our requests or obey our laws

We also do not extradite foreign citizens if they could get the death penalty in another country unless that country agrees not to impose it.

Ok ok we agree on that part.

But what about what the government is doing now?

WWWTT

I don't think there is anything unusual or wrong about invalidating passports of people who join organizations that are threatening this country. How I feel about it will depend on how they apply it.

Fair enough then

WWWTT

Thanks for sharing that.

I would assume that selling your passport would be a criminal offense. If so, a passport suspension would sound like a reasonable penalty if found guilty.

WWWTT

Nope, that is not what I said.

Your passport privilege can be suspended by Passport Canada if they decide you are too irresponsible to securely hold one. There is no requirement for a criminal conviction, chronically losing them is enough.

Nope, that is not what I said.

Your passport privilege can be suspended by Passport Canada if they decide you are too irresponsible to securely hold one. There is no requirement for a criminal conviction, chronically losing them is enough.

There certainly is no charter right to a passport. Now you have that straight...

Can either of you provide an example where this was the case?

WWWTT

Passports aren't a right, sorry.

You sure about that?

The issuance of passports falls under the Royal Prerogative.[6] They are issued, in the name of the reigning Canadian monarch (as expressed in the passport note), according to the Canadian Passport Order. This Order in Council specifies grounds for which Passport Canada, a Special Operating Agency under Citizenship and Immigration Canada, can issue or renew a passport. Applicants must complete the required forms, which include the necessity of two passport photos and affirmation from a guarantor. Rules regarding renewals of passports and the eligibility of guarantors were last updated 1 October 2007, whereafter applicants may renew the passport using a shorter application form if: they are resident in Canada when they apply; lived in Canada and were at least 16 years of age at the time of their previous application; and are in possession of a Canadian passport that was issued under their current name after 31 January 2002, is valid for five years, and not damaged or reported lost or stolen. Further, a guarantor may be a Canadian who currently holds a valid, or no more than one year expired, five-year Canadian passport; has known the applicant for more than two years; is 18 or more years old; and were 16 years of age or older when they applied for their own passport. For citizens abroad, passport applications are forwarded back to a passport centre by the local embassies, high commissions or consulates.

Passport Canada may revoke a passport or refuse to issue or renew a passport on grounds set out in the Canadian Passport Order, including such grounds as failure to submit a complete application, misrepresentation in obtaining a passport, and criminality. However, whether a Canadian passport may be revoked or refused on the basis of national security concerns has been questioned. In July 2004, Abdurahman Khadr was denied a Canadian passport by Governor General Adrienne Clarkson on the explicit advice of her Foreign Affairs Minister, Bill Graham, who stated the decision was "in the interest of the national security of Canada and the protection of Canadian troops in Afghanistan." The government invoked Royal Prerogative in order to deny Khadr's passport, as national security was not at that time listed in the Canadian Passport Order as a ground for refusal. Shortly thereafter, on 22 September 2004, section 10.1 was added to the order, which allowed the minister to revoke or refuse a passport due to national security concerns.[11] Khadr sought judicial review of the minister's decision to refuse his passport and,[12] on 8 June of the following year, the Federal Court ruled that the government did not have the power to refuse to issue Khadr's passport in the absence of specific authority set out in the Canadian Passport Order, but stated in obiter dicta that if the order were to be amended, Khadr would likely not be able to challenge the revocation.[13]

In 2006, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, then Peter MacKay, again denied Khadr's application, this time invoking section 10.1 of the amended Canadian Passport Order.[14] Section 10.1 was later challenged in Federal Court by Fateh Kamel, whose passport had also been refused for national security reasons. On 13 March 2008, the Federal Court declared section 10.1 of the Canadian Passport Order to be unconstitutional and therefore invalid,[15][16] though the court suspended its declaration of invalidity for six months in order to allow the government time to amend the order. The federal government launched an appeal at the Federal Court of Appeal and a ruling handed down on 29 January 2009 overturned the lower court decision. The court unanimously agreed the denial of passport service on national grounds is in compliance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, citing the limitation clause (Section 1) as its main decision point.[17][18] Kamel launched an appeal in 2009 to the Supreme Court of Canada but the court declined to hear his case and thus ended the legality challenge to the Canadian Passport Order.[19]

This was taken from Wikipedia

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT