Future of Canadian TV

Yay...it won't be long before Canadians can watch real American Super Bowl commercials.   Canada's government controlled media markets will permit American ads to run during the game....no SimSub required for this great U.S. cultural event.  

Listen to how painfully stupid this CBC Radio spot tries to explain it:

http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/columnists-from-cbc-radio/episode/11326762

3 minutes ago, Topaz said:

Perhaps we should debate the future of TV, since we can watch programs online now, think the TV will last? Thoughts?

TV as a medium where stories are told in 1 hour episodes over several seasons will always be around.

The mechanisms to distribute and fund these projects will change.

37 minutes ago, TimG said:

TV as a medium where stories are told in 1 hour episodes over several seasons will always be around.

The mechanisms to distribute and fund these projects will change.

I agree. I think that with the amount of quality original content being created by online streaming services, TV is entering a golden age right now.

The question now is where this leaves traditional broadcast networks...

-k

On 1/22/2017 at 0:43 PM, kimmy said:

I agree. I think that with the amount of quality original content being created by online streaming services, TV is entering a golden age right now.

It is? I dunno. As someone who used to eagerly read through next week's TV Guide to see what my favorite characters on various shows would be doing the next week, I can honestly say that there isn't a single show on TV or anywhere else I could bother to care about watching or missing. It all seems to be dumb, stupid, brainless reality shows, or dumb, repetitive, derivative fiction, most of it soap operaish, resembling the serial shows from the 50s where if you miss one you have no idea what's going on. Much of the ones the critics seem to like are dark throughout, both in tone and in imagery. I don't watch TV to be depressed.

Edited by Argus

President Trump may take on Canada's CRTC for interfering in business contracts over Super Bowl advertising and simsub.   Canada's government regulator changed longstanding protocol for simsub just because some Canadians not only want to watch the Super Bowl, but also want the big American content advertising spots.

Bell Media paid for advertising rights but would lose out if U.S. advertising displaces Canadian advertising in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/crtc-nfl-superbowl-ban-1.3953865

5 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Why does the President of the United States give a crap which TV ads Canadian viewers watch?

He cares that a US corporation is having its copyrights violated by the Canadian government (at least according to BC's spin). It is not a stretch given the fact that this administration sees value added taxes like the GST as a 'tariff' on american goods. 

Yes, I understand that this move reduces Bell Media's ability to charge premium prices for advertising spots during the Superbowl, and I understand that this will reduce the NFL's revenue from the Canadian sale of their broadcast rights.  I understand why Bell Media and the NFL are unhappy about this. But who cares?

BC2004 is always reminding us that Canada is a trivial country and not worthy of US notice, but apparently they care about protecting Bell Media's advertising revenue by asking Canadian cable providers to continue to enforce the "sim-sub" policy.

-k

3 hours ago, kimmy said:

...BC2004 is always reminding us that Canada is a trivial country and not worthy of US notice, but apparently they care about protecting Bell Media's advertising revenue by asking Canadian cable providers to continue to enforce the "sim-sub" policy.

Ad revenue will always be more important than Canada's free obsession with "American culture".

The day is almost here.....Canadians will finally be able to easily watch real, American audience Super Bowl ads.   Oh boy !!!  But all is not well, as demanding U.S. advertising content may start to change Canadian television market revenue models and programming...forever.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/super-bowl-commercials-crtc-1.3957727

Be careful what you wish for....

Edited by bush_cheney2004

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The day is almost here.....Canadians will finally be able to easily watch real, American audience Super Bowl ads.   Oh boy !!!  But all is not well, as demanding U.S. advertising content may start to change Canadian television market revenue models and programming...forever.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/super-bowl-commercials-crtc-1.3957727

Be careful what you wish for....

There's a thread about this. This is the only scenario where Canadians would demand US advertising, because Super Bowl advertising is unique. 

But even the NFL isn't happy with the CRTC's decision because it devalues the NFL rights in Canada. 

• 1 month later...

Now this is interesting.....some CanCon programming is so bad and unmarketable, broadcast rights are purchased to purposely shelve the content so it is never seen or waste valuable programming slots that generate ad revenue.    Now that is truly....bad !

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/streaming-rights-use-it-or-lose-it-1.4003319

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Now this is interesting.....some CanCon programming is so bad and unmarketable, broadcast rights are purchased to purposely shelve the content so it is never seen or waste valuable programming slots that generate ad revenue.    Now that is truly....bad !

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/streaming-rights-use-it-or-lose-it-1.4003319

Not surprising though. Ever seen Kids in the Hall?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ironically, state protected broadcaster CBC runs another story about Canadians being left behind for streaming choices and content compared to those evil 'Muricans:

..."It's frustrating," says Amy Leaman who would like nothing more than to sign up for the U.S. service HBO Now to stream her beloved show, Game of Thrones.

"It feels like the border at times is invisible and all of a sudden — wait a second — we're not the same country," says Leaman, who lives in Toronto. "We don't have access to the same things they have."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/youtube-streaming-netflix-canada-u-s-hbo-1.4039694

• 2 months later...

Ouch.....Netflix tax is dead on arrival.    Canada's government controls and revenue model for media is stuck in the past....

Higher taxes and government control of the news is not the answer to the problem."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/web-streaming-tax-proposal-commons-committee-1.4161645

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Ouch.....Netflix tax is dead on arrival.    Canada's government controls and revenue model for media is stuck in the past....

Our Canadian TV & internet are more designed to empty one's pockets than entertain. I'm sure the government views entertainment as a vice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2017 at 1:13 PM, DogOnPorch said:

Our Canadian TV & internet are more designed to empty one's pockets than entertain. I'm sure the government views entertainment as a vice.

CBC TV does both: empty all our pockets and fail to entertain.

24 minutes ago, overthere said:

CBC TV does both: empty all our pockets and fail to entertain.

I watched Still Standing tonite.  Fort McMurray was featured and some of the struggles individuals went through, along with the way they are healing from the fire.  I like that kind of programming, I think it helps create pride in our country, a feeling of conection and patriotism.  I like Rick Mercer for the same reason.  I would be very sad if we lost CBC.

9 hours ago, dialamah said:

I watched Still Standing tonite.  Fort McMurray was featured and some of the struggles individuals went through, along with the way they are healing from the fire.  I like that kind of programming, I think it helps create pride in our country, a feeling of conection and patriotism.  I like Rick Mercer for the same reason.  I would be very sad if we lost CBC.

I honestly didn't know about this show until the weekend. 

They had an episode were dude goes up to the NWT and laments how hard it must to be to live in Buttbleep Nowhere. The problem is, the only way it's viable for people to live in a place like the community highlighted is because of the Oil and Gas industry. But the ultimate goal is to keep demand for Oil and Gas down. So the Liberal Establishment really doesn't give two shits about communities like Inivik or Fort Mac. 

This show pays pure lip service to people's suffering. 

And in the case of Inivik it's largely FN people that suffer from the jobs vanishing. 

Edited by Boges

17 hours ago, dialamah said:

No reason to lose it, just start having those very, very few persons who watch CBC TV can start paying for it as a subscritpion service- like any other form of entertainment.

On 6/28/2017 at 9:26 PM, dialamah said:

@Boges  Clearly I saw something entirely different in the program than you did.

@overthere  We could also save money by eliminating taxpayer support for Canadian productions carried by Bell and Shaw.  Do you think that's a good idea?  

Yes, of course.  The only reason Shaw and Bell follow the idiotic instructions from the CRTC to make more rubbish is because they are forced to do it,  This is entertainment, not national security.  Pay for your own.