Man should go back to the moon soon.

We shouldn't have stopped going to the moon, the hardware was proven and was getting even better. The only reason they stopped was politics. They should have ended the Vietnam war sooner so more money could be put into NASA. Everyone lost interest sadly, when Apollo 14-17 came around, the public thought the mission were normal. How is going to the moon and landing on it normal? Apollo 15-17 had the rover and colour camera, but no one was watching. Colour television from the moon took only a few moments of their time, nothing more.

Some of the people said it costed too much. 25 billion at the end of the Apollo program, and look what it did. It sent 24 astrouants to the moon, and half as many walked on it's surface. We got half a ton of moon rock and soil. We made discoveries on the moon, that excitied the scientists. I think 25 billion is a mdoest price.

The real reason wasn't to claim it, or conquer it, or simply beat the Russians to it. We went to the moon to see if we could make the journey. If we can do that, if we can voyage from the earth to the moon, then there's hope for all of us, because we can do anything.

I think man should go back to the moon.

Not to sound flippant, but "been there, done that." :)

It's very expensive to go to the moon, and until there's a good reason to go back there, I think the money spent on space could be better spent on other projects (like the international space station, exploring Mars, or putting up a more sophisticated replacement for the Hubble Telescope (which I believe is soon going to be out of service, isn't it?)) It's a big universe! Going to the moon was an amazing achievement, but unless there's more to be learned by going back there, mankind should aim for a new target.

-kimmy

I do not see too much point in "going to the moon" at this time. We are in no position to do anything there and, as Kimmy suggests, there are far more interesting possibilities.

no need to go to the moon, infact no reason to send man to Mars either we have Machines to do that, sending man to the moon is for all intents and purposes for pure ego. you said it yourself it proved we can do anything (ego), but you know what it didn't. If you want to proove that Humankind can do anything, end war, teach enron truthfull acounting, stop poverty. Landing on the moon seems monumental and it was a huge accomplishment but what it prooved is that man can land on the moon, and it really isn't made of cheese. Now if you can keep missiles from landing on the moon then maybe we can talk about accomplishments.

I was going to do the "Uranus" joke but, that would be imature...though funny!

Didn't Bush talk about going to the moon and Mars again right after all hell broke loose in Iraq and no WMD were being found...a good distraction from the real issues.

I don't see any reason to spend so much money in going back to the moon and besides, with record deficits under Bush, we Americans can't even come close to affording that right now, i.e., tax cuts, Iraqi war, miscalculation by $133 Billion in Healthcare, etc. This president's incompetencies will hurt all around!

If you want to go back to the moon, what you have to do is really simple. Start a company with the goal of sending a man to the moon, and solicit for investors and even donations. Whoever is interested in such a project can put their money where their mouth is. Your investments will represent the true level of interest that exists for another lunar landing.

But please, don't assume that everybody else feels that returning to the moon is a great idea (evidently they don't, judging by the response you've had) and propose to expropriate their hard-earned money from them against their will to pay for such a project.

There are about 800 million "rich" people in the world. (US, Europe, Japan and so on. Family income is above 40,000$/year.)

If we take about $100 from each person in this group (about the cost of a day at Disney World) we would have about $80 billion. I have seen this amount as an estimated cost of a trip to Mars.

I think these people would be willing to sacrifice a day at Disney World to watch a guy/woman walk on Mars.

[incidentally, the Left has bandied about the number $200 billion for Bush's adventure in Iraq. It is greatly exaggerated because wherever the troops are, they still cost money.]

If you want to proove that Humankind can do anything, end war, teach enron truthfull acounting, stop poverty.
Slavik44, there is a good song about this from the 60's, called "Whitey's on the Moon" from beat-poet Gil Scott Heron.

A trip to the moon WAS unimaginable, and to do it WAS astounding. Even a man on Mars is no longer unbelievable, just costly. As Hugo implies, perhaps another Ansari-X prize might justify such a venture, but it cannot be justified out of my (a taxpayer) pocket.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la même chose...

A rat done bit my sister Nell.

(with Whitey on the moon)

Her face and arms began to swell.

(and Whitey's on the moon)

I can't pay no doctor bill.

(but Whitey's on the moon)

Ten years from now I'll be payin' still.

(while Whitey's on the moon)

The man jus' upped my rent las' night.

('cause Whitey's on the moon)

No hot water, no toilets, no lights.

I wonder why he's uppi' me?

('cause Whitey's on the moon?)

I wuz already payin' 'im fifty a week.

Taxes takin' my whole damn check,

Junkies makin' me a nervous wreck,

The price of food is goin' up,

An' as if all that shit wuzn't enough:

A rat done bit my sister Nell.

Her face an' arm began to swell.

Was all that money I made las' year

(for Whitey on the moon?)

How come there ain't no money here?

(Hmm! Whitey's on the moon)

Y'know I jus' 'bout had my fill

(of Whitey on the moon)

I think I'll sen' these doctor bills,

Airmail special

(to Whitey on the moon)

Shoals of dead fish float on the lakes,

But Uncle Sam's on Mars

And science is making the same mistakes,

But Uncle Sam's on Mars

No one down here knows how to work the brakes,

but Uncle Sam's on Mars

Uncle Sam's on Mars,

Uncle Sam's on Mars,

Uncle Sam's on Mars,

He's on Mars

Layers of smoke in the atmosphere

Have made the earth too hot to bear

The Earth might be a desert soon,

America has left the Moon

Uncle Sam's on Mars,

Uncle Sam's on Mars,

Uncle Sam's on Mars,

He's on Mars

He's digging for dreams in the red sand

He's got his bucket and spade in his left hand

He's digging for dreams

He's looking for life

What's he doing out there?

He's looking for life

Looking for life

There may be life out there

(Nixon to Armstrong - July 21st 1969):

"I'm talking to you by telephone from the Oval Room in the White House. And this certainly must be the most exciting telephone call ever made here on Earth. I just can't tell you how proud we all are. For every American this has to be the proudest day of their lives. And for people all over the world, I'm sure they too join with us in recognising what a tremendous achievement this is. For one priceless moment in the whole history of Man......"

MacDonalds Hamburger

Construction works

And he's looking for life

Looking for life to wind up

He's looking for life to stamp out

He's looking for life to grind out

He's looking for life, so mind out

I hope you brought your credit card with you,

and I hope you know how to drive on these long, lonely freeways and intersections we've got up here. We've got two cars in the garage, two cars in the garage, and

drum-majorettes in white ankle socks and baton twirling on Sundays.

We've got stripes and the stars,

And Uncle Sam's on,

Uncle Sam's on,

Uncle Sam's on Mars....

We should go to Mars, because discover more about the planet. We should do it first hand, not from robots.

Besides, it's creates jobs, we find out sceince stuff and we go to a real planet. We have to discover. The cost is worth it. We can use the space station as a spaceport for ships going to the moon or to mars.

"For this I am sure, that man has learned that space in his to explore, and man will continue explore, to the moon and beyond" Dr. George Low, Deputy NASA adminstrator.

We should go to Mars, because discover more about the planet. We should do it first hand, not from robots.

Besides, it's creates jobs, we find out sceince stuff and we go to a real planet. We have to discover. The cost is worth it. We can use the space station as a spaceport for ships going to the moon or to mars.

"For this I am sure, that man has learned that space in his to explore, and man will continue explore, to the moon and beyond" Dr. George Low, Deputy NASA adminstrator.

could you please provide factual documentation that states a human on mars can benifiet us more then a robot on Mars. Next would you please put a price on human life?

If we go, we will find out much information about Mars. We can send something better than a robot, the best trained eyes in the world, a human.

We went to the moon, we can go to Mars. Getting to the moon is just as hard as going to Mars.

By the way, do you people think that the moon landings were faked?

If we go, we will find out much information about Mars. We can send something better than a robot, the best trained eyes in the world, a human.

We went to the moon, we can go to Mars. Getting to the moon is just as hard as going to Mars.

By the way, do you people think that the moon landings were faked?

I didn't say it was impossible to go to Mars, I said it was pointless to send man to mars. You have still failed to proove that a human on Mars means more information then a robot, you ahve also failed to put a price on human life. this isn't about wether or not we can it is about wether or not we are justfied in doing so with the problems still on earth. America can blow up the world two times over, it doesn't mean they should. Being able to do soemthign doesn't mean you have the right to do it, or that doing it is right. No I do not believe the moon landing was faked, I am sure man landed on the moon. You have also added a third to my lsit of required answers, i want documented proof that putting man on Mars is JUST as hard or as easy as putting man on the moon.

"The exploration of space is well worth the risk of human life" Gus Grissom said that just before he died in the Apollo 1

Wouldn't it be gr eat like we sent men to mars?.

Big Blue, I tend to agree with you, in that exploration will lead to progress for mankind, but as of now we have more prorites back here on earth.

With that said, I've no doubt in my mind that as the Bamboo curtain solidifies in the coming decades, we will see Chinese and American nationlism spark another space race.

We can't have the ChiComms make it to the Red planet first now can we ;)

Maybe some of the problems we sort out on the way to Mars can be used for ssolving the problems on Earth.

America should give more money to NASA. If we get at least 1% of the America's GDP, NASA would have ample funds.

"The exploration of space is well worth the risk of human life" Gus Grissom said that just before he died in the Apollo 1

Wouldn't it be gr eat like we sent men to mars?.

Well, perhaps the people don't mind dieing when they are in space but what about the 20,000 people who died in Canadian hospitals due to carelessness? They are not in space, is the exploration of space worth it to them? If you were one of those 20,000 would it be worth it to you? Personally there is no reason to send a Man to Mars, and endanger his life, other then for pure Ego, I don't support that. I belive sending man to mars not only endangers the people we send to Mars, but also the people here on earth that could have used a chunk of the 80 billion. I am not prepared to support that with out being given a good reason to do so, and my ego is big enough so I am not concerned about that but I am flattered that people want to spend 80 billion dollars to boost it.