Ferguson unrest

Is Brown’s alleged robbery and attack of a Indian corner store clerk indicate a racially motivated crime? Likewise, those that looted and set afire the store……..racially motivated?

From what I've read there is often resentment and dislike of the Asians who tend to operate these little groceries and corner stories in poor urban areas. It's hard to get anyone else will do it, though.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read there is often resentment and dislike of the Asians who tend to operate these little groceries and corner stories in poor urban areas. It's hard to get anyone else will do it, though.

I wonder if he refused previous patrons, turned looters, food stamps? Clearly the looted stores have nothing to do with the shooting....

Again, cops need to be wired for sound and video. Mostly for gathering evidence but also to help avoid the awful cost in terms of financial and worse, social capital that is lost to these sorts of incidents.

It seems reasonable to conclude people would have nothing to riot about If what the cops were saying could be verified by a digital record of events as they unfolded.

Edited by eyeball

Again, cops need to be wired for sound and video. Mostly for gathering evidence but also to help avoid the awful cost in terms of financial and worse, social capital that is lost to these sorts of incidents.

It seems reasonable to conclude people would have nothing to riot about If what the cops were saying could be verified by a digital record of events as they unfolded.

I totally agree. And I don't know why more police forces don't have it as standard kit. I suppose there are budgetary concerns which I get. And I wonder if some cops have aversions to the concept. Perhaps because they could be used by the boss for disciplinary issues. I hark back to the days when they started putting cockpit voice recorders in aircraft and I can honestly say neither I nor any of my colleagues had much issue with it. Nowadays you don't even think about it. The early ones had a 30 minute loop and the newer ones 2 hours. And it's not like the boss removes the black box to see if you happenned to criticise him/her during a flight. The only time it get's opened is after a crash to determine what went wrong. I think if there was a video of exactly what happenned leading to the death of this man, whichever way it went, would allow things to progress rather than the "he said, she said" situation occuring now.

Why not black people? They can employ other blacks who can learn to work. I guess hanging out and being tough is more fun. Also quite risky. Just ask Michael Brown.

It is quite remarkable what I am hearing on this forum. Can we get anymore racist.

What is racist about that? You're a racist for assuming that only Indians can run businesses and blacks cannot. That is true racism if you want to play that card.

I totally agree. And I don't know why more police forces don't have it as standard kit.

Simple good old fashioned conservatism would be my guess - the fear of change, especially towards real transparency and accountability. The thought of forcing the authorities to be accountable is apparently a completely alien concept to most right-wingers. The odd one that does get it is, well...odd.

Simple good old fashioned conservatism would be my guess - the fear of change, especially towards real transparency and accountability. The thought of forcing the authorities to be accountable is apparently a completely alien concept to most right-wingers. The odd one that does get it is, well...odd.

I suppose it goes back to the old Plato narrative which comcludes that those who seek power tend ot be inherently unsuitable to wield it. I didn't put quotes around it because I'm just going from memory. But we all get the drift. It seems to me more and more cops fall into that category these days, hence all the military gear/attitude they like to play with. It has certainly reared it's ugly head long before this current instance in Missouri.

BC, you apparently speak for all black folks in America. Are you ok with the racist comments being spoken?

Nobody speaks for all "black folks in America"...not even Al Sharpton...because they are not a monolithic block. "Racist comments" are the least of "black folks" worries. But it is fun to see Canadian liberals go through contortions on the topic.

Nobody speaks for all "black folks in America"...not even Al Sharpton...because they are not a monolithic block. "Racist comments" are the least of "black folks" worries. But it is fun to see Canadian liberals go through contortions on the topic.

It's even more fun to see redneck Americans make racist statement. I would imagine you are about as far away from knowing anything about "black folks" as you can get.

You seem to have a problem with canadians (not sure why you label it liberals?) speaking up for the rights of people, whether it is in United States, Palestinians or anyone else. We don't go through contortions, but perhaps you do when you see people speaking out for folks. Why is it 'fun' and why do you push against support from citizens from other countries. We, of course know that racist comments are the least of black folks worries. We don't have to be black to know that.