Robin Williams

Topaz

Just listening to the TV about Robin and if he was in so much pain, mentally, then I understand why he decided to end his life. Apparently, he had heart surgery not too long ago and most people do go into a depression afterwards. This society of ours HAS to deal better with mental illness before we lose more people like Robin, who make our lives a little better with a laugh or two. RIP Robin.

My fondest recollection of Robin and his TV shows was Mork and Mindy.

One of the eccentric characters ion that series was a tall, gaunt fellow in flowing robes who went by the name of Exitor.. In one of the episodes, Robin had asked him how he got his name. Exitor explained that when his mother was in labour with his that she promised to name him after the first thing that she saw after his birth.

When she woke up, she saw a door leading from her room that was labelled "Exit Door".

And Exitor was named accordingly.

Edited by Big Guy

His ability at improvisation was of course legendary. Many of those solo standups he did at teh Hollywood Bowl and elsewhere just keep you rivetted and you know damn well nobody can read a cue card that fast. He was "wingin' it". Maybe all those synapse firing so fast can be a curse as well as a blessing. Let me add my RIP to chorus.

I'm sure it probably was. even watching him on various latenight comedy talkshows has him often bouncing off the walls. And of course he could get serious and do a fine job of that as well. "GoodWill Hunting" etc. I reckon I will cue up one of those tonight, both for the entertainment and as well to honor him in my small way.

Just heard on the radio that he was having financial problems. His TV show was cancelled after one season and he was sort of compelled to do sequels to Night at the Museum and Mrs. Doutfire.

At 63, after such a successful career, I can't imagine he'd think he'd have to do work for a cheque.

Edited by Boges

Sad, if he was having money problems and he was married 3x, so I imagine he had to pay out big time for each divorce. I hope his kids get most of the future money made by his death, the TV will have all his movies on soon.

His last Twitter/Instagram post was to wish his daughter happy birthday. There was no replay.

Then there's this.

A Hamilton, Ont., police sergeant is apologizing after posting a tweet saying Robin Williams' death set a bad example for others with mental illnesses.

The 63-year-old actor and comedian was found dead in his Tiburon, Calif. home on Monday evening. The sheriff's office said that the death appeared to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a complete investigation will be completed before a final decision is made.

At 9:43 p.m., Sgt. Jay Turner posted a message on Twitter saying, "Dear Robin Williams: I truly wish you could have chosen to set a better example for those suffering with mental health challenges. Jay"

Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/hamilton-police-officer-apologizes-after-robin-williams-tweet-1.1955902#ixzz3ABhCbNqo

There are plenty that believe that anyone that offs themselves is a coward taking the easy way out.

There have always been theories that comedians, by the successful nature of their profession, suffer from depression and comedy is their release valve.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2540275/Comedians-personalities-similar-mental-health-conditions.html

Hence the image of the sad clown;

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/comedy/sad-clown-no-laughing-matter-20140416-36qd0.html

I have been reading that Robin Williams has long struggled with bipolar disorder, which makes this sad event somewhat understandable.

-k

I hadn't heard that before, but today I just mentioned to a friend that he seemed he may have been bipolar. I mean, the man's comedy was pretty manic obviously, plus the addiction and depression. It's very sad. Many creative people and comedians especially seem to have problems with depression and bipolar disorder. When your brain has the ability to reach at such highly productive levels amazing achievements must be possible but also causing discomfort (ie: lack of sleep/eating), and then the crash into very low levels (depression).

Mental illnesses are such horrific and lonely diseases because you suffer often in silence, they're often very hard for others to know you suffer (unlike ie: a broken leg), and unlike physical illnesses they affect your happiness and very state of being. "Mental illness" is even a shitty word to describe these things, maybe most of them should be called "happiness diseases" or something, a label that would inherently create more empathy for those who suffer them. Such a title would also take some of the stigma away from them because when you label them "mental illnesses" it creates the image for others of sufferers being "sick in the mind" aka crazy, which people become frightened with. A lot of sufferers have emotional injuries (ie: anxiety, PTSD, depression) and not just purely biological/genetic factors that contribute to their disease.

Mental illnesses are such horrific and lonely diseases because you suffer often in silence, they're often very hard for others to know you suffer (unlike ie: a broken leg), and unlike physical illnesses they affect your happiness and very state of being. "Mental illness" is even a shitty word to describe these things, maybe most of them should be called "happiness diseases" or something, a label that would inherently create more empathy for those who suffer them. Such a title would also take some of the stigma away from them because when you label them "mental illnesses" it creates the image for others of sufferers being "sick in the mind" aka crazy, which people become frightened with. A lot of sufferers have emotional injuries (ie: anxiety, PTSD, depression) and not just purely biological/genetic factors that contribute to their disease.

Well said. Hopefully, Robin's fame can lead to some dialogue on this and a lessening of the stigma associated with talking about and seeking treatment for depression issues.

I have been reading that Robin Williams has long struggled with bipolar disorder, which makes this sad event somewhat understandable.

-k

I really wish more of the articles would discuss bipolar disorder. It was not severe depression, but bipolar that he was suffering from (which can have depression as one of its effects). I have many in my family who suffer from this and it's no joke.

As it turns out Robin Williams was also in the early stages of Parkinson's disease, but was not ready to share the news publicly.

"Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin's tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid." - Susan Schneider
http://mashable.com/2014/08/14/robin-williams-was-in-early-stages-of-parkinsons-disease-his-wife-says/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

-k

Bipolar? When I learned of Robin Williams' suicide, I first thought of Ernest Hemingway. They died at a similar age.

And I wondered, of course, who had lived a better life.

Edited by August1991

craig ferguson is somewhat an acquired taste... this interview with Robin Williams is classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9Evwb1vtQ

That was great Waldo!. They had such a great time together. And what's funny is how much Craig made Robin laugh.

It is quite sad to think Robin is gone. Is Craig Scottish as well?

that was so evident to me, as well... in the interview, Robin Williams genuinely laughs often. The following is a great tribute from Letterman (the last couple of minutes, particularly so)... Letterman's closing is very touching and a point of reflection for us all in how we might presume to perceive close friends.

yes, Ferguson is 1000% Scottish and can be very funny himself. As an aside, his show is done now (last season) and although he didn't get the 'call up' to replace Letterman, he indicated he had enough and intended to shut it down well before Letterman announced his pending retirement. Your 'Scottish as well' reference is of note in that Williams wasn't Scottish (although he had the ancestry amongst many other ancestries). The Letterman vid includes a reference to the 'Scottish Williams' in regards Williams' Comedy Store introductions... something that apparently stuck, although Williams was American born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bVgilYncao

I missed the David Letterman tribute and thank you for the clip. He touched so many lives and I can't help but wonder that if he did have the onset of Parkinson's he may have chosen to stick around for a bit longer if he had the choice of physician assisted suicide when the time came.

I did actually think he was scottish!