Canadian News Aggregators

I used to use bourque: http://www.bourque.org/ but then I realized that he was selling space/ads too blatantly so I stopped going to his site.

Since then, I use National Newswatch: http://www.nationalnewswatch.com/ but now I understand that it is a front for the federal Liberal party. (I have no problem with biased news sources but their predictability becomes tiresome.)

Of course, I have Google news and I have tailored its search for my specific interests (no sports, language, locality).

And then, I have several blogs that I check regularly - finance and economics, left and right, French, English and other languages.

----------

I am tired of the boring, partisan National Newswatch. It's like the Toronto Star: (Toronto, Ontario, Liberal, predictable). Even the CBC is more interesting...

(huffingtonpost.ca is like the CBC and National NewsWatch... )

What other aggregators/websites exist? Is there a Conservative-biased web aggregator?

Edited by August1991

Both Bourque and NNW used to be good until they started selling their headlines as ads. They just became gong shows after that.

The only one that seems to try to be neutral is City and Press. My only complaint with them is it's a bit of a chore to navigate their collection of separate sites for each city. It would be nice if they had ones for National and International.

I quit with them also for the same reasons, although I still check now and then. Bourque was okay up until a 2 or 3 years ago (I think) when I guess the Liberals outbid the conservatives... who knows. Try http://www.jacksnewswatch.com/ (but its not comprehensive) http://o.canada.com/ and canoe.ca for U.S. there's the drudgereport and this one that I know of. http://polurls.com/red/

a 'front for the Liberal Party of Canada' you say... source/cite, s'il vous plait

The NationalNewsWatch website is boring, predictable: like the Toronto Star and the English CBC.

Le Devoir is predictable, but original. Albertans?[/irony]

====

OMG, these idiots in Ontario don't get it. [sarcasm]They're clueless.

Edited by August1991

The NationalNewsWatch website is boring, predictable: like the Toronto Star and the English CBC.

Le Devoir is predictable, but original. Albertans?[/irony]

====

OMG, these idiots in Ontario don't get it. [sarcasm]They're clueless.

thanks - I accept you're unable to support your claim that the National Newswatch 'aggregator' is a, as you stated, 'front for the Liberal Party of Canada'. Carry on!

I don't know who owns what or what political persuasion they are, but you are right about nationalnewswatch and Bourque torquing their headlines to favour liberals. Headlines on these sites are paid for so I suppose the client with the highest bid gets the headline.

I like to read the news on my tablet and find the app for Canada Newspapers pretty good, no bias that I see, just the sites and news. Funny tho, I can't get the Toronto Star to come up on my tablet :)- don't know why, all the others do.

This is from 2008 but still apprapro. I guess the Liberals have outbid the conservatives the last couple of years or so.

http://www.marketingmag.ca/media/bourque-news-site-headlines-considered-political-ads-14244

Bourque openly advertises its headline service for sale, and on Friday, the top four “news” links on the site all slammed Liberal leader Stephane Dion, along with an unflattering photo. Anti-Dion headlines have been common in recent weeks.

Edited by scribblet

I don't know who owns what or what political persuasion they are, but you are right about nationalnewswatch and Bourque torquing their headlines to favour liberals.

you're not adding anything to support/substantiate MLW member August1991's claim concerning 'National Newswatch'... you saying it means nothing.

and your support for claiming Bourque 'torques headlines to favour lLiberals' is to put up a dated 2008 reference to Elections Canada and in-campaign headlines... headlines on Bourque that your linked article states were anti-Liberal, anti-Stephane Dion.

but hey now, let me remind you there's a dedicated 'Media Party' thread for you to complain about lLiberal biased media.

... you're not adding anything to support/substantiate MLW member August1991's claim concerning 'National Newswatch'... you saying it means nothing.

Anderson Brothers

Unlike some people who think the Koch Brothers control the agenda, I have no objection to rich people wasting their money trying to form public opinion. (eg. An ad campaign of several billion would not convince people to buy a Yugo.)

So, I feel comfortable in reminding the Anderson Brothers that they are wasting their money.

Edited by August1991

Anderson Brothers

Unlike some people who think the Koch Brothers control the agenda, I have no objection to rich people wasting their money trying to form public opinion. (eg. An ad campaign of several billion would not convince people to buy a Yugo.)

So, I feel comfortable in reminding the Anderson Brothers that they are wasting their money.

you put that same link forward earlier... it didn't support your claim then, it still doesn't! Again, your claim that "the National Newswatch 'aggregator' is a front for the Liberal Party of Canada". Your claim... remains unsubstantiated.