US Supreme Court "Hobby Lobby" decision on contraception

ACA is not the law for all employers. Group policies are tailored for benefit levels and coverage based on costs, which will go up for the ACA. Employers pay the bulk of such premiums compared to employees as untaxed benefits.

Please tell me which employers are exempt from the ACA. Thanks.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, so it shows just how far they're willing to accomodate their employees. Why isn't that good enough?

And now, based on this ruling, there is nothing to prevent them from using the same argument....against my personal religious beliefs. See, Shady, this is the slippery slope.

And now, based on this ruling, there is nothing to prevent them from using the same argument....against my personal religious beliefs. See, Shady, this is the slippery slope.

No, I don't follow. Your religious beliefs pertaining to what?

They're willing to accommodate their employees by violating some religious principles but not others.

There is grey area in contraception. There isn't much in abortion. But it illustrates your all or nothing approach. It's illustrates that there is no compromise when it comes to abortion zealotry.

They are not employed by the owners but by the corporation - with all the legal benefits of corporation. There shouldn't be religious rights for corporations.

I think this is part and parcel of the way this supreme court has been elevating the status of corporations. Remember, their right to free expression during elections can't be supressed either, because, in effect, corporations are persons now, with something of the same status. I'm wondering how long before corporations are permitted to vote and run for office.

The general point is about corporations not having "religious rights" (see above)....they do, and will continue to do so.

And if these corporations don't want to employ gays, or Jews, or refuse to have women in certain positions because of their religion?

At least the US has ideological diversity among its judges. In Canada we have a full slate of progressive liberal ideologues.

Given Harper has appointed five of the judges whose fault is that?

And if these corporations don't want to employ gays, or Jews, or refuse to have women in certain positions because of their religion?

Then it is off to court...again. The U.S. military also refuses to have women in certain positions...by law.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I still have no idea what you mean. Who wants you to pay for something for them?

Let see if this help....

-this ruling only applies where the ownership is, essentially, an individual or small group:

The Catholic yarn shop would qualify under this ruling.

it doesn't mean that every religious belief would be exempted in similar fashion.

Alito also said the decision is limited to contraceptives under the health care law

Contraceptives are condemned by the Catholic church and if the owners have a history of supporting Catholic teachings and practices , they can petition the court for an exemption to providing all contraceptives under this Supreme Court ruling.

In defence of the catholic church, bite my tongue, it's not their fault. Canadians believe in and practice birth control without a second though and don't make a big fuss over it. In the land of the gun a lot of them still think masturbation is killing babies.

Do any of we Canadians have to make it worse by coming to their support?

They are not employed by the owners but by the corporation - with all the legal benefits of corporation. There shouldn't be religious rights for corporations.

Why not if they're people too?

It makes me gag but apparently that's the reality.

If they don't want to pay for contraception, on 'moral grounds', then they shouldn't hire women on contraception.

Oh wait! That would be illegal discrimination.

They can only discriminate once they've hired women, I guess.

So bizarre.

The court decision has expanded religious rights at the cost of secular rights. I believe that this decision has opened up a "can of worms" that will result in thousands of litigations trying to establish what a "religion" is, what are acceptable religious beliefs and what size of business is to be effected.

A great day for lawyers!

This didn't take long.

ATLANTA (AP) — Citing a U.S. Supreme Court opinion issued Monday, a federal appeals court temporarily barred the federal government from forcing an Alabama-based Catholic broadcasting network to comply with a law requiring them to cover contraceptives for women.

A federal judge last week dismissed a lawsuit filed by Eternal Word Television Network maintaining that requiring employers to include contraception in their health care coverage is unconstitutional. The broadcaster appealed the ruling, and a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta issued an order Monday barring enforcement of the requirement pending the outcome of the network's appeal.

The 11th Circuit said it was granting the injunction in light of the Supreme Court's opinion, which held that corporations can hold religious objections that allow them to opt out of the new health law requirement.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Ala-broadcaster-applauds-Supreme-Court-decision-5589738.php