NDP'S improper mails?

Topaz - I believe you've said before that "just because the other parties did it doesn't make it right". If the shoe was on the other foot, would you be defending the Conservatives and calling for this "secret committee" to open its doors? Would you? I thought not.

You're right. It's wrong and we should know exactly what happened and the scope of the problem, so we can ensure it doesn't happen ever again from any party. This thing needs to be made public for everyone to see.

Topaz - I believe you've said before that "just because the other parties did it doesn't make it right". If the shoe was on the other foot, would you be defending the Conservatives and calling for this "secret committee" to open its doors? Would you? I thought not.

Weak. Harper use to be the one wanting to blow the doors open.....absolute power corrupts absolutely I guess.

Weak. Harper use to be the one wanting to blow the doors open.....absolute power corrupts absolutely I guess.

Possibly so - that's exactly what happened to the Chretien/Martin Liberals.... and I wouldn't be surprised if the Conservatives stay in power for another 5-10 years that maybe some corruption might sneak in....but even so, the Ontario Liberal Party proved beyond a doubt that corruption doesn't matter to voters when the alternative is less than stellar.

I recall from 2006 till 2011 being carpet bombed, sometimes 2 to 3 PER WEEK, of these mailings from the Conservatives. Of the Hundreds upon hundreds I had collected, numerous ones had CONSERVATIVE written on them. I even got some from the no gone and forgotten Rob Anders. Well I got lots from him. I started keeping them until I had 3 BLUE BOXES Full.

They Used to attack DION, and have 3 empty boxes and one CHECKMARKED box beside Harpers Name. All with some Conservative Campaign slogan. and some accusation against the Liberal Leader, be it DION or later Ignatieff.

I believe I started or engaged in a thread regardign this carpet bombing and misuse of the mailings.

Since about March/April of this year, only my Conservative MPs have arrived and they are no longer as partisan as i have seen in the past.

I am sure I got a few of these old mailers kicking around, I had so many of them, litterly....

I thought maybe it was like a game and you had to collect all the different slogans and then you get a free choclate bar .

:P

Edited by madmax

I recall from 2006 till 2011 being carpet bombed, sometimes 2 to 3 PER WEEK, of these mailings from the Conservatives. Of the Hundreds upon hundreds I had collected, numerous ones had CONSERVATIVE written on them.

Those ones are definitely sent by the party, not the parliamentary office. They stopped using the "checkmark" template once they got a majority. That was the reason for the change in the frequency of them as well -- a minority meant they were in constant election mode.

no Bryan, the ones I have with "Conservative" on them, are actually government paid mailers....Not all of them, but a good many.

The Conserative Mailers are in Colour, the Mailers from the MPs sent into the region with are Black and White. Again, I had thousands of them...

It was quite embarrassing, and no doubt an abuse of the system.

Yes, Having stopped because of a majority, doesn't make what you did when you had a minority ok.

And even the ones without hte Conservative logo, are still PURE PROPOGANDA...

Constant Election Mode, paid by the taxpayer...

no Bryan, the ones I have with "Conservative" on them, are actually government paid mailers....Not all of them, but a good many.

The Conserative Mailers are in Colour, the Mailers from the MPs sent into the region with are Black and White. Again, I had thousands of them...

Not sure if someone mentioned this but you may have received "10 percenters".........

In Canadian politics, a Ten Percenter is a party political flyer that MPs have the right to mail — at no cost to themselves — to households in their own ridings, equivalent to 10% of the households in their constituency. They may also send the same flier to all of their constituents if they change 50% of the copy.

Prior to March 2010, Mps were allowed to send ten percenters into their opponents' ridings. A motion by Michael Ignatieff to have the practice disallowed passed by a slim majority. There was a minority government at the time.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Percenter

• 3 weeks later...

The NDP is taking the Board of Internal Economy to court. This is great news, as we can get the hearing out in the public, see what wrongdoing occurred, and make changes that ensure that this kind of impropriety doesn't happen going forward.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp-takes-board-of-internal-economy-to-court-over-mailouts-1.2703028?cmp=rss

Edited by cybercoma

• 3 months later...

The secrecy doesn't mean they didn't do anything wrong. It means that we don't know and can't really judge for ourselves. The public's condemnation of the NDP in this case is no more suspect than your assertion that the Liberals and Conservatives are trying to bankrupt them.

At any rate, it will all become clear at court.

I think we will never really know anything for sure unless it benefits the sitting party.

It should absolutely be further investigated. This entire thing should be brought out into the light for all to see. This kind of trial should not take place behind closed doors. If the NDP are defrauding taxpayers, let's get it all out in the open.

I think the are all defrauding taxpayers. ALL of them.

I think the are all defrauding taxpayers. ALL of them.

Which is why there should be an independent, third-party watch dog that oversees parliamentary budgets and spending. It shouldn't be made up of a committee of parliamentarians. That is literally the wolf looking after the chicken coup. These sorts of decisions and "hearings" should not be hidden from the public and conducted by the parliamentarians themselves. Let's get this out in the open and overseen by an outside organization.

Edited by cybercoma