Pro Life? Then Don't Run Under Liberal Banner

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they don't hide it. They're quite explicit about their many and varied beliefs. You seem to believe, on the other hand, that all MPs should do only what they're told, think only what they're told, say only what they're told, and do only what they're told, on all issues, great or small, be they economic or moral and ethical.

So you want a dictator for your leader, right?

This coming from a CPC supporter. The party that tosses MPs who put their constituents first. CPC MPs are not open about social views and are far from autonomous. That party is completely run by the PMO.

Like the NDP did with same sex marriage, JT and the Libs have simply charted a moral course on this issue as a party. It's only an issue right now, because they are leading the way. I suspect it's the higher proportion of old and religious members in the CPC base that always leave it struggling to catch up on issues of ethics and rights.

Like the NDP did with same sex marriage, JT and the Libs have simply charted a moral course on this issue as a party. It's only an issue right now, because they are leading the way. I suspect it's the higher proportion of old and religious members in the CPC base that always leave it struggling to catch up on issues of ethics and rights.

JT knows exactly what he's doing.

Trudeau is trying to out-Dip the Dips. A fight for the Left with the NDP. Good news for the Tories.

I think it's more calculated than that. It's the same strategy that Obama used with birth control and equal pay.

Women tend to vote liberal more than men (small L liberal) so in a sense we are the biggest voting bloc for liberal candidates. This is particularly true of single women.

Just as Obama did in the last election, Trudeau is trying to secure the votes of that demographic but he couldn't use the same platform verbatim so he used abortion as a similar, cookie-cutter one.

Personally I don't think it was a wise decision though given that abortion is a lot more thorny issue than equal pay or birth control.

Edited by BC_chick

Again......he didn't make an abortion decision......he made a enforcement decision. I don't know if its in your imagination or to who he initially informed.....I just saw John Mackay, the guy out on the ledge by himself, being stunned.....that may have been the wrong way to communicate it, but the decision is logical.

No, he made the abortion decision himself. The party has always been pro-choice. It was his decision to say pro choice = no laws on abortion whastsoever. And it was his decision that MPs would not be able to vote their conscioncenses, or what their constitutents wanted.

You know he's not dictating anything to his current MPs, your hysterics aside. He's saying going forward candidates will be expected to vote pro-choice, if there's ever a situation where a bill is presented in the commons. His current MPs are not affected by this decision.

My hysteria? I think you need to stop screaming and howling and insulting people who disagree with your extremism on this issue.

To suggest this is nothing to care about, despite the clear indication from his actions that Trudeau will be even more of an absolute dictator to his MPs than Harper was is to blindly shut your mind and make excuses for something you used to care about a lot. I guess it only matters when it's a tory doing it, huh?

From all these posts that are against abortion and want to tighten up laws, how many are from men? How many are from women?

You're making assumptions. My concern, though I'm pro-choice, is with what this reveals about Trudeau and his arrogance and dictatorial manner.

A dictatorial manner is bad enough in an intelligent, capable man like Harper. It's frightening in a clown with little life experience like Trudeau.

No, he made the abortion decision himself. The party has always been pro-choice. It was his decision to say pro choice = no laws on abortion whastsoever. And it was his decision that MPs would not be able to vote their conscioncenses, or what their constitutents wanted.

pro choice=no laws on abortion?

He is going to have a tough time selling himself as a visionary leader on that, since every Prime Minister(including Harper) since Mulroney has done exactly that: nothing. No law.

Same thing with MPs not being able to vote their conscience.

That is news... how?

My hysteria? I think you need to stop screaming and howling and insulting people who disagree with your extremism on this issue.

To suggest this is nothing to care about, despite the clear indication from his actions that Trudeau will be even more of an absolute dictator to his MPs than Harper was is to blindly shut your mind and make excuses for something you used to care about a lot. I guess it only matters when it's a tory doing it, huh?

He has done nothing of the sort. Harper gags his MPs from attending debates or speaking to the press. Trudeau here is letting candidates know that they will be expected to vote in accordance with the party's position and the decisions of that have already been made by the Supreme Court. Candidates can be pro-life if they want, but they must govern according to the laws of the land and the principles of the party. That's pretty self-explanatory and not the least bit controversial. That it has you in fits is hilarious, considering your total "who gives a crap" attitude about the far worse gagging that Harper has done.

You're making assumptions. My concern, though I'm pro-choice, is with what this reveals about Trudeau and his arrogance and dictatorial manner.

I can't speak for where JT is coming from but I don't believe his directive is coming from arrogance or a dictatorial manner at all. As he says:

"I had an extraordinary example in a father who had deeply, deeply held personal views that were informed by the fact that he went to church every Sunday, read the Bible regularly to us, and raised us very religiously, as Catholics," Trudeau wrote.

"But at the same time my father had no problem legalizing divorce, decriminalizing homosexuality and moving in ways that recognized the basic rights of the people.'

And again, he reiterates that his party is committed to the values laid out in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Trudeau spelled out that "Liberal MPs are welcome and encouraged to hold fast to their personal beliefs."

But he asserted, "Under my leadership, incoming Liberal MPs will always vote in favour of a woman's fundamental rights."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-s-abortion-stance-leaves-liberal-ranks-in-confusion-1.2648752?cmp=rss

Another of Trudeau's famous "clarifications" that just create more confusion. "You can believe what you want so long as you vote the way I want".

There is no restriction on abortion, at least at the federal level. And there is no chance whatsoever that a Liberal government would ever bring in an anti-abortion bill. Harper has said repeatedly that his government won't. And we all know the position of the NDP. So why raise the issue? Just another example of Trudeau's lack of qualifications for the party leadership

Edited by maldon_road