Pro Life? Then Don't Run Under Liberal Banner

More like attacking opinions by banning them.

He's not "banning" anything. People are free to have their opinions, but if their opinions conflict with the party's platform, they aren't the right person to represent the party. The CPC wouldn't allow candidates who advocate nationalization of industry or larger government, but somehow that isn't "attacking" other people's opinions.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper doesn't dictate people's thoughts or votes about abortion, the death penalty, gay rights, or other social/ideological beliefs.

So no, Justin seems to have dropped well below Harper.

What's the difference? Harper has vowed he will not re-open the abortion discussuin, and has backed those words up by smacking down at least two attempts by backbenchers to table motions on the subject. Tom Mulcair has been quoted as saying no NDP memeber will ever vote against a womans right to choose.

Let's also pass legislation, making sure that such late term abortion practices, that don't involve the mother's life, are restricted. The majority of Canadians agree with this sentiment. If you don't, you're not in the mainstream.

Nice try.

Pro lifers have been trying for decades to get any kind of law regarding abortion on the books.

Why?

Because laws can be challenged over and over from multiple angles, and who knows you may find a sympathetic judge somewhere somehow. If nothing else, it keeps the issue in the public eye and in the media.

Without any law. there is nothing to fight in the courts.

Regarding Trudeaus pronouncement on the requirement to be prolife, I don't think he has thought this through....

He can whip candidates and he can whip MPs, but he cannot whip voters.

What is the point of alienating all those people a year before an election? There are many Liberals VOTERS that are mildly prolife. There are many undecided voters or swing voters who are mildly prolife. Why force them into taking a side on this topic, a topic that does cross party lines?

Blunder.

Nice try.

Pro lifers have been trying for decades to get any kind of law regarding abortion on the books.

Why?

Because laws can be challenged over and over from multiple angles, and who knows you may find a sympathetic judge somewhere somehow. If nothing else, it keeps the issue in the public eye and in the media.

Without any law. there is nothing to fight in the courts.

Regarding Trudeaus pronouncement on the requirement to be prolife, I don't think he has thought this through....

He can whip candidates and he can whip MPs, but he cannot whip voters.

What is the point of alienating all those people a year before an election? There are many Liberals VOTERS that are mildly prolife. There are many undecided voters or swing voters who are mildly prolife. Why force them into taking a side on this topic, a topic that does cross party lines?

Blunder.

It may have been. But this will certainly not be the only issue on which people will make a decision. We have economy, foreign policy, provincial transfer payments, health costs, education etc, etc I have never voted in any election where I agreed with every platform of policy. Those whose major interest and passionate issue is abortion have already made up their minds.

We are still a long way from a federal election and issues tend to change quickly.

It may have been. But this will certainly not be the only issue on which people will make a decision. We have economy, foreign policy, provincial transfer payments, health costs, education etc, etc I have never voted in any election where I agreed with every platform of policy. Those whose major interest and passionate issue is abortion have already made up their minds.

We are still a long way from a federal election and issues tend to change quickly.

Its not the only issue, but it is a pointless thing to do here and now unless he had some reason to needlessly alienate some people who might have voted for him. This is an issue with an endless shelf life, and he'll pay a price for his entire career. Nothing is ever forgotten or forgiven in our age.

You are really comparing people who, mainly for religious beliefs, have issues with abortion, and racists?

It was a question... What about homophobes? They are often bigots on religious grounds.

Being anti-choice is a radical position in Canada.

Whoa - are you ever out of touch with mainstream Canada. The vast majority of Canadians are not as polarized on the issue as the media tries to make out. Some are more inclined to take abortion as their first option, others try their hardest to make a Life choice. Its never been a clear cut issue. Funny how the righteous Left have adopted the term anti-choice - as opposed to anti-abortion......because the vast majority of pro-lifers are NOT anti-abortion.....theres a time and a place for abortion - and they belief it usually comes when Life is the first alternative - not the last.

I think it's more likely the right who will tend toward RIGHTeous views, often tainted by religious overtones. Anti abortion is anti choice. What else could it be? I don't think people who are pro choice are promoting abortion, they are simply promoting choice. Let's let people make up their own minds about such a personal and important issue.

When the issue first came up in the USA years ago, one group was for abortion and the other was against abortion. Then it shortened down to pro-abortion versus anti-abortion. Then the strategists polled and found that anti anything was distasteful to people so the anti-abortion group became pro-life. Well the pro-abortion people saw their brand struggling so they switched to pro-choice.

Now both groups are pro something.

It is an issue to which there is no solution. Both groups have a valid position; one based on faith and the other on personal rights.

My only problem is when pro-life zealots start shooting doctors and pro-choice zealots start shooting at pro-life demonstrators.

I'm not sure who is advising Justin....someone who is uncover and working for the Tories??? Most people don't want to talk about this because the women always have the control over their body and if she wants /needs an abortion so be it. What get me are the people who are against it...except in certain circumstances, either you are for it or against but not sometimes.

Big Guy, on 08 May 2014 - 7:18 PM, said:

My only problem is when pro-life zealots start shooting doctors and pro-choice zealots start shooting at pro-life demonstrators.

Actually, pro choice zealots have found a much more pleasant way of disrupting pro life demos. If only the pro lifers would reciprocate in kind.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/topless-pro-choice-protesters-interrupt-anti-abortion-rally-1.2636300

Edited by bcsapper

I'm surprised that Justin Trudeau thought that any such proclamation was necessary.

Abortion isn't a hot-button issue in Canada. It's a dead issue. The Conservatives have been in charge for 8 years and there has been not been any action at all on abortion. That alone should say all that need be said about where abortion sits as a political issue.

-k

When the issue first came up in the USA years ago, one group was for abortion and the other was against abortion. Then it shortened down to pro-abortion versus anti-abortion. Then the strategists polled and found that anti anything was distasteful to people so the anti-abortion group became pro-life. Well the pro-abortion people saw their brand struggling so they switched to pro-choice.

That is not how either USA group branded/labeled their stances back in the 1970's (pre/post Roe v. Wade). "Choice" and "Right to Life" were the labels in vogue instead of anti-anything. "Pro-choice" and "Pro-life" developed from there. Agreed that no competent movement or group would be satisfied with a negative label like "Pro-abortion". However, "Anti-life" and "Anti-choice" are obvious negative spins by adversaries and their rhetoric.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I'm surprised that Justin Trudeau thought that any such proclamation was necessary.

Abortion isn't a hot-button issue in Canada. It's a dead issue. The Conservatives have been in charge for 8 years and there has been not been any action at all on abortion. That alone should say all that need be said about where abortion sits as a political issue.

-k

A member from BC tried to introduce a private members bill twice and it was shot down both times. Harper has stated more than once he won't reopen the debate. So yep, I think it is a dead issue.

LOL Most canadians do not even want to discuss this let along deal with it, that is why harper does'nt touch it.

Not wanting to deal with it is being satisfied with the status quo, which is a reality where women can choose without legal ramifications. If they were anti-choice, they would be wanting to discuss it and calling for change. Many of them may very well think abortion is the taking of an innocent life, but they believe enough in personal autonomy to think that it is ultimately a necessary evil.

Yeah! Lets have politicians waste their time fighting a protracted battle to fix a problem that doesnt exist or barely exists!!!

Its quite frankly none of your business. Women and their doctors should make medical and reproductive decisions. Not you, and not politicians. Go fix some potholes or something or balance a budget.

Hear, Hear! This issue is currently dead and it needs to stay that way.

Yes of course, that old claim again.

AKA: fact.

If that's the case, why not pass legislation ensuring it?

Small government conservative here, folks.

Let's also pass legislation, making sure that such late term abortion practices, that don't involve the mother's life, are restricted.

Sure. And let's pass a law banning private ownership of unicorns while we're at it.