Pro Life? Then Don't Run Under Liberal Banner

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has just declared that all candidates running for nomination to represent the Liberal Party in 2015 will have to support the party's pro-choice position, but that the same rule does not apply to sitting MPs.

"I have made it clear that future candidates need to be completely understanding that they will be expected to vote pro-choice on any bills," Trudeau said Wednesday following his party's weekly caucus meeting in Ottawa.

Trudeau said that rule, however, does not apply to current members of Parliament because they were vetted under a different nomination process.

Is this a Liberal line in the sand?

Is this a blatant attempt to win over NDP supporters?

Is this a mistake that will bury Justin?

Is this a brilliant move that is the final nail in the Harper majority political coffin and give the Liberals a majority?

Is this a lot to do about nothing?

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was debated on CBC and apparently, ALL MP's/candidates have to sign an agreement to the leader to that party. My view is the MP is suppose to represent the CONSTITUENTS not the leader or themselves, so maybe we, as voters should make it clear to the people running for office what WE expect and get the power back to US!!

I have no issues with it. If that is part of the party platform, why would you want someone to run who might undermine that? They can run for another party or as an independent.

This was debated on CBC and apparently, ALL MP's/candidates have to sign an agreement to the leader to that party. My view is the MP is suppose to represent the CONSTITUENTS not the leader or themselves, so maybe we, as voters should make it clear to the people running for office what WE expect and get the power back to US!!

You are now witness to only one example of the danger of having someone as naïve and inexperienced as Justin Trudeau as our Prime Minister. If he is capable of acting in such a strident and exclusive manner without PM powers. just try and imagine what could happen if he did become PM. To use the anti-Harper language of the Left - he's scary, it's horrifying!

No elected representitive(s) should be able to force another elected representative on how to vote...by signed agreement no less!

I have no issues with it. If that is part of the party platform, why would you want someone to run who might undermine that? They can run for another party or as an independent.

Do they do similar with all other major party platform issues? Ie: making one sign an agreement?

But then, I guess people wouldn't have a problem if the Communist Party banned all non-communist-supporting members, or the Marijuana Party banned all prospective members who won't vote to de-criminalize/legalize weed.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Quite a "decision". He's automatically excluding new MP representation for a huge swath of Canadians who hold some variation of Pro-Life belief.

We may argue about the propriety of the Pro-life statement.....

But on the larger topic of "excluding MP representation for a huge swath....". There is ALWAYS a "huge swath" for whom representation is problematic.... specifically those who, if they were "represented"... would trample human rights,

There is no problem with any Party deciding that there are certain policies that they simply will not represent... capital punishment, bigotry towards minorities, etc.. EVEN IF there is a significant population who supports those...

Representative democracy does not imply that the representative is supposed to be a puppet of the electors. Representative democracy asks that you choose the smartest person from amongst you... and he represents you by doing those things that are best for all of society. (One problem with our democracy is that we no longer choose the smartest person, we choose the one that looks the prettiest or the one who has the most money....but I digress)

So... does anti-abortion qualify as a valid policy not to be supported? Is it a good idea to insist that every candidate adhere? Trudeau has made that choice and it may cost him votes or it may gain him votes, that's his problem. Personally, I think it can cost him a small number of good candidates, but again, that is HIS problem.

The policy itself is embraced by a group, is reviled by another group, and is a non-issue for most. There will have to lots of other policies, good and bad, in order to sway voters sufficiently to make him PM, or to send him to 4th party status.

And what's the point of it all? No party, even the CPC, are not going to touch the issue.

I don't know if that is accurate. The CPC has been morphing Canada slowly, piece by piece. There is no telling what the next piece may be.

But I do agree that it does seem pointless. The only point would be that you expect a free vote, and now everybody will vote the same without the necessity of a whip...

I don't think Justin understands how much of the support he has left are Catholics. They're not going to sign such a pledge, and they sure won't vote for anyone who does. There's a very real possibility some of the MPs he's still got will just cross the floor rather than represent a party that makes such a barbaric stand.

So much for the "big tent" of the Liberal party. It's no longer a big tent. It's Justin's tent. And he's following the lead of the other left wing party in demanding complete agreement with the great leader on all ideological issues. I think this speaks to those who have been decrying what a dictator Harper is, and before him Chretien. It's another sign (there have been others) that if you're looking for a leader who is going to cut his MPs some freedom, well, that's not going to be Justin. In Justin's party, it's his way or the highway.

Another thing, since we're talking about Justin, didn't he very piously decry attack ads, and claim the Liberal Party was going to be above that? Well, I just heard a Liberal Party attack ad against Harper. So much for that.

You are now witness to only one example of the danger of having someone as naïve and inexperienced as Justin Trudeau as our Prime Minister. If he is capable of acting in such a strident and exclusive manner without PM powers. just try and imagine what could happen if he did become PM. To use the anti-Harper language of the Left - he's scary, it's horrifying!

He doesn't need any powers to simply uphold what has been reality in Canada for over 25 years.

So much for the "big tent" of the Liberal party. It's no longer a big tent. It's Justin's tent. And he's following the lead of the other left wing party in demanding complete agreement with the great leader on all ideological issues. I think this speaks to those who have been decrying what a dictator Harper is, and before him Chretien. It's another sign (there have been others) that if you're looking for a leader who is going to cut his MPs some freedom, well, that's not going to be Justin. In Justin's party, it's his way or the highway.

Another thing, since we're talking about Justin, didn't he very piously decry attack ads, and claim the Liberal Party was going to be above that? Well, I just heard a Liberal Party attack ad against Harper. So much for that.

So what you're saying is Justin has been forced to drop down to the same level as dictator Harper?

It seems as though Justin hasn't thought much of the wide ranging views people may have on abortion, both pro-life and pro-choice. I know many pro-choice individuals who are also very uncomfortable with the allowance of late term abortions, in the third trimester. Are those people now no longer allowed in the Liberal party? I also know many pro-life individuals who see abortion as something that can be acceptable up to a certain point of fetal development. This abortion-on-demand, no questions asked, no concerns taken attitude really needs to stop.