This week in Islam

kimmy

3 hours ago, Marocc said:

Erdoğan said Macron needs some sort of mental treatment over his attitude toward Muslims in France.

That's how it's done.  Express yourself with words, not knives.

4 hours ago, Marocc said:

Erdoğan said Macron needs some sort of mental treatment over his attitude toward Muslims in France.

Muslim extremists in France have been very violent.  Maybe you need to condemn that violence instead of criticizing the people that have been attacked.  

7 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Muslim extremists in France have been very violent.  Maybe you need to condemn that violence instead of criticizing the people that have been attacked.  

Islam needs to condemn its own extremism, I agree. To be fair, there are moderate Muslims who are doing that.

The problem for them is that same as for us and everywhere right now. Extremists use the internet as a platform to catapult their propaganda, targeted toward the most disadvantaged in society in order to stir them into uprising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Islam needs to condemn its own extremism, I agree. To be fair, there are moderate Muslims who are doing that.

The problem for them is that same as for us and everywhere right now. Extremists use the internet as a platform to catapult their propaganda, targeted toward the most disadvantaged in society in order to stir them into uprising.

At least a half dozen Muslims on my FB feed condemned this attack, as I'm sure most do. 

And yeah, extremists of any stripe target those most disadvantaged (or who feel most disadvantaged) in society for recruits.  

30 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Not that I am picking any sides here but all religions don't have a great history when it comes to "eliminating the competition".  

Islam specifically points to other religions...by name in some cases...and says that believers must fight them until all religion is for Allah.

29 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Not that I am picking any sides here but all religions don't have a great history when it comes to "eliminating the competition".  

I'd ask you to compare the records of Jesus Christ to Mohammed on "eliminating the competition" but apparently that might "derail the thread," so very well let's keep it current then.

Show me Christians eliminating the competition in the name of Christ to the level Muslims are eliminating the competition in the name of Mohammed.

28 minutes ago, dialamah said:

At least a half dozen Muslims on my FB feed condemned this attack, as I'm sure most do. 

And yeah, extremists of any stripe target those most disadvantaged (or who feel most disadvantaged) in society for recruits.  

Oskar Schindler was a good Nazi.

18 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

I'd ask you to compare the records of Jesus Christ to Mohammed on "eliminating the competition" but apparently that might "derail the thread," so very well let's keep it current then.

Show me Christians eliminating the competition in the name of Christ to the level Muslims are eliminating the competition in the name of Mohammed.

Crusades went on for almost 400 years....

Edited by Cannucklehead

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The Crusades were a response to Islamic aggression.

The Crusades were a series of religious wars initiated, supported, and sometimes directed by the Latin Church in the medieval period. The term refers especially to the Eastern Mediterranean campaigns in the period between 1096 and 1271 that had the objective of recovering the Holy Land from Islamic rule. The term has also been applied to other church-sanctioned campaigns fought to combat paganism and heresy, to resolve conflict among rival Roman Catholic groups, or to gain political and territorial advantage.  

1 minute ago, Cannucklehead said:

Crusades went on for almost 200 years....

Like I said I don't want to get accused of "derailing the thread" by educating you about history but if I did I'd question the dispute over that sliver of land the Muslims invaded first against the Islamic conquest of much of the known world.

2 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

The Crusades were a series of religious wars initiated, supported, and sometimes directed by the Latin Church in the medieval period. The term refers especially to the Eastern Mediterranean campaigns in the period between 1096 and 1271 that had the objective of recovering the Holy Land from Islamic rule. The term has also been applied to other church-sanctioned campaigns fought to combat paganism and heresy, to resolve conflict among rival Roman Catholic groups, or to gain political and territorial advantage.  

So you're under the impression that the Middle East and Jerusalem in particular have ALWAYS been under Islam.

Neat...

15 minutes ago, Marocc said:

Like their right to wear niqab and hijab.

You'll have to show me specifically what you're talking about. I'm aware of some sort of ban against full facial coverings for all religions in public but I don't know of this French federal ban on the head scarf. Show me. 

Perhaps you're talking about school dress codes or something like that.

Edited by Infidel Dog

3 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Like I said I don't want to get accused of "derailing the thread" by educating you about history but if I did I'd question the dispute over that sliver of land the Muslims invaded first against the Islamic conquest of much of the known world.

You can't discuss Islam's violence without bringing-up the Quran and its contents. One could try...

6 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

So you're under the impression that the Middle East and Jerusalem in particular have ALWAYS been under Islam.

Neat...

The Holy Land (Hebrew: אֶרֶץ הַקּוֹדֶשׁ Eretz HaKodesh, Latin: Terra Sancta; Arabic: الأرض المقدسة Al-Arḍ Al-Muqaddasah or الديار المقدسة Ad-Diyar Al-Muqaddasah) is an area roughly located between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea that also includes the Eastern Bank of the Jordan River. Traditionally, it is synonymous both with the biblical Land of Israel and with the region of Palestine. The term "Holy Land" usually refers to a territory roughly corresponding to the modern State of Israel, the Palestinian territories, western Jordan, and parts of southern Lebanon and of southwestern Syria. Jews, Christians, and Muslims all regard it as holy.