This week in Islam

kimmy

16 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

Judaeo-Christianity came up with the radical concept of Thou Shalt Not Kill. No conditions.

What is Judaeo-Christianity? They're not something you can combine. The thou shalt not kill comes with numerous conditions. Ever seen in what — and in how many — conditions stoning is commanded in the Torah?

Leviticus 20:1-2
Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "You shall also say to the sons of Israel: 'Any man from the sons of Israel or from the aliens sojourning in Israel who gives any of his offspring to Molech, shall surely be put to death; the people of the land shall stone him with stones.

Leviticus 24:13-14
Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Bring the one who has cursed outside the camp, and let all who heard him lay their hands on his head; then let all the congregation stone him.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10

"If your brother, your mother's son, or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul, entice you secretly, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods'................   .................."So you shall stone him to death because he has sought to seduce you from the LORD your God who brought you out from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

Numbers 15:32-36

Now while the sons of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering wood on the sabbath day. Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation; and they put him in custody because it had not been declared what should be done to him.

Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp." So all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, just as the LORD had commanded Moses.

Qur'an 6:151 Say: Come I will recite what your Lord has forbidden to you-- (remember) that you do not associate anything with Him and show kindness to your parents, and do not slay your children for (fear of) poverty-- We provide for you and for them-- and do not draw nigh to indecencies, those of them which are apparent and those which are concealed, and do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden except for the requirements of justice; this He has enjoined you with that you may understand.

Muslims follow the ten commandments also.

247381348f47abea48067fb30e879452.jpg

15 hours ago, Argus said:

Most of the attacks on Jews in Europe appear to be from Muslims. 

Yes, Islamic extremists also attack Jews, and right wing extremists attack both Jews and Muslims.  You can't claim one as a problem while dismissing the other.

Two of my links below discuss anti-Semitism in Europe, from both Muslims and right-wingers.  I highlight the right-wingers because otherwise you'll deny it.

From the Atlantic, 2015:

"Renewed vitriol among right-wing fascists and new threats from radicalized Islamists have created a crisis, confronting Jews with an agonizing choice"

In Hungary, a leader of the right-wing Jobbik party called on the government ... to draw up a list of all the Jews in the country who might pose a “national-security risk.” In Greece, a recent survey found that 69 percent of adults hold anti-Semitic views, and the fascists of the country’s Golden Dawn party are open in their Jew-hatred."

From DW, 2019:

"Wednesday's attack on a synagogue and two passers-by in the area by a self-confessed far-right extremist in the east German city of Halle is just the tip of the iceberg."

Most cases of anti-Semitic harassment were registered in Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium, according to the FRA. The EU agency registered the fewest such incidents in the UK, France and Italy. ... European anti-Semitism is the result of European societies becoming increasingly intolerant, adding that "there of course exists a link between growing right-wing populism in Europe and anti-Semitism." ... Last year, for example, a far-right extremist stormed into a US synagogue and killed 11 worshipers."

And from the Times of Isreal, an article about Jews facing threat from multiple sources:

All over the world, far-right, far-left and Islamist fanatics are stoking the flames of Jew-hatred,” Gideon Falter, chief executive of Britain’s Campaign Against Antisemitism group, told JTA.

That's the problem with singling out a group as "the worst"; left unchecked, it leads to violence and the death of innocent people.  When people on this thread present Muslims as evil and unable to chage, they are fanning flames of hatred and fear and are no different than a Muslim who denounces Jews as evil and unable to change. 

1 hour ago, Marocc said:

What is Judaeo-Christianity? They're not something you can combine. The thou shalt not kill comes with numerous conditions. Ever seen in what — and in how many — conditions stoning is commanded in the Torah?

Qur'an 6:151 Say: Come I will recite what your Lord has forbidden to you-- (remember) that you do not associate anything with Him and show kindness to your parents, and do not slay your children for (fear of) poverty-- We provide for you and for them-- and do not draw nigh to indecencies, those of them which are apparent and those which are concealed, and do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden except for the requirements of justice; this He has enjoined you with that you may understand.

Muslims follow the ten commandments 

The Islamic version of 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' has two conditions where killing somebody is perfectly fine....

Quran 5 32

Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors.

https://quran.com/5/32

...'for a soul'...revenge...honor...

...for corruption (fitnah) done upon the land...pretty much anything that goes against Islam.

The GREAT thing about Islam is that YOU don't get to decide & tell me what the 'real Islam' is. 

Judaeo-Christianity...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judeo-Christian_ethics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

That's the problem with singling out a group as "the worst"; left unchecked, it leads to violence and the death of innocent people.  When people on this thread present Muslims as evil and unable to chage, they are fanning flames of hatred and fear and are no different than a Muslim who denounces Jews as evil and unable to change. 

Islam is the single most barbaric and repressive religion on the planet.  By a very long way.  That is simply the truth.  I've never heard an argument to refute that fact, on here or anywhere else.  That doesn't tar all Muslims, nor does it speak to any ability to change.  It doesn't excuse the behaviour of any other religion. It simply is what it is.

Are you suggesting that the truth does not matter?  That the truth should be suppressed, in order to avoid "fanning flames of hatred and fear"?  If so, we can simply disagree on that point.  It's an opinion, and doesn't need truth.

Edited by bcsapper

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

Islam is the single most barbaric and repressive religion on the planet.  By a very long way.  That is simply the truth.  I've never heard an argument to refute that fact, on here or anywhere else.  That doesn't tar all Muslims, nor does it speak to any ability to change.  It doesn't excuse the behaviour of any other religion. It simply is what it is.

Are you suggesting that the truth does not matter?  That the truth should be supressed, in order to avoid "fanning flames of hatred and fear"?  If so, we can simply disagree on that point.  It's an opinion, and doesn't need truth.

It's far more important to Islam's protectors to have someone like myself silenced than for Islam to reform. That's the simple optics to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

It's far more important to Islam's protectors to have someone like myself silenced than for Islam to reform. That's the simple optics to me.

It's definitely puzzling, and the main reason I argue the points.  There are very few Muslims who argue it one way or the other, and when they do, there are just as many (Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Tarek Fatah, etc.) who argue for a progressive Islam. 

The main opposition to what I see as a blindingly obvious state of affairs comes from those who would, in many other cases, be violently opposed to the actions of the group in question.  It always seems to me that, to them,  the actions of the group in question are second to the demographics of the group.  That just seems so odd, especially from a group that typically holds equality to be paramount, and has, in the past, railed against the oppression of the very groups whose oppression they now choose to ignore.

11 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

It's definitely puzzling, and the main reason I argue the points.  There are very few Muslims who argue it one way or the other, and when they do, there are just as many (Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Tarek Fatah, etc.) who argue for a progressive Islam. 

The main opposition to what I see as a blindingly obvious state of affairs comes from those who would, in many other cases, be violently opposed to the actions of the group in question.  It always seems to me that, to them,  the actions of the group in question are second to the demographics of the group.  That just seems so odd, especially from a group that typically holds equality to be paramount, and has, in the past, railed against the oppression of the very groups whose oppression they now choose to ignore.

I doubt Islam can be reformed anymore than Nazism could be reformed. Flawed from the get-go. Basing ones faith on the hatred of another religion always reminded me of this cartoon...

929c7c162d59317ef744adbd68aa5923.jpg

The Jews are the big bully if you haven't guessed already...

Islam feels itself slighted...always. It has the final message...the final prophet...the final WORD...yet others dare not fall into line & submit(!)...and they must be punished...

Edited by DogOnPorch

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Islam is the single most barbaric and repressive religion on the planet.  By a very long way.  That is simply the truth. 

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion.  I do not disagree entirely, I just don't really see a lot of difference between repressive regimes, whatever religion they're based on, or even if they're based on no religion at all.  Blaming oppression/barbarity on Islam when there are current and hostorical examples of equally oppressive and barbaric behavior among non-Muslims seems to me to be completely illogical.

8 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

That doesn't tar all Muslims, nor does it speak to any ability to change.  It doesn't excuse the behaviour of any other religion. It simply is what it is.

Its the people here - Argus,  Goddess, DoP and some others who specifically tar all Muslims with the same brush.  They offer lip service to "not all Muslims", but they don't really mean it.  DoP constantly tells us that Muslims must act violently against non-believers and apostates or they aren't following.the dictates of Islam.  Any less violent interpretation of the Quran is met with denial.  Even those verses speaking directly against violence he dismisses.  Goddess takes every instance of a Muslim behaving badly as proof of the evil of all Muslims, and Argus regularly refers to Muslims as barbaric, ignorant, violent, misogynistic and unable to change.  You seem to miss all this, but regularly challenge me when I call them put on their obvious hate and fear-mongering.  

15 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Are you suggesting that the truth does not matter?  That the truth should be supressed, in order to avoid "fanning flames of hatred and fear"?  If so, we can simply disagree on that point.  It's an opinion, and doesn't need truth.

You are unable and unwilling to differentiate propaganda from the truth.  Argus, DoP and Goddess spread anti-Muslim propaganda.  Otherwise they would not attack me, nor accuse me or my relatives of lying when I point out that while disapproval of gays, Jews, apostates, dressing scantily, premarital sex, whatever else, most of them aren't willing to take their disapproval to hatred and violence and disapprove of those who do.  If they weren't interested in painting all Muslims as evil, they wouldn't attack me for pointing out that misogynistic practices are just as rampant among non-Muslims as among Muslims in the Middle East and Africa.  Christians and Christian churches support plural marriage (for the man), FGM, honor killings, killing/jailing of gays. 

But god forbid that "truth" be discussed here because it might suggest that Muslims are just about the same as everyone else from that region and not a monolithic block of violent and barbaric killers.

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

Its the people here - Argus,  Goddess, DoP and some others who specifically tar all Muslims with the same brush.  They offer lip service to "not all Muslims", but they don't really mean it.  DoP constantly tells us that Muslims must act violently against non-believers and apostates or they aren't following.the dictates of Islam.  Any less violent interpretation of the Quran is met with denial.  Even those verses speaking directly against violence he dismisses.  Goddess takes every instance of a Muslim behaving badly as proof of the evil of all Muslims, and Argus regularly refers to Muslims as barbaric, ignorant, violent, misogynistic and unable to change.  You seem to miss all this, but regularly challenge me when I call them put on their obvious hate and fear-mongering.  

You feel the need to lie about other's opinions about Islam. I wonder why that is? Is Islam incapable of standing on its own merits?

You're incapable of using your own Islamic doctrine to show I'm mistaken about your pet religion...which makes me think it isn't meritorious...at all.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

This is only because you refuse to see the demonization Muslims as played out on this thread.  I haven't seen anyone here argue that mosogyny, anti-semitism or terror is acceptable "because they're Muslim".  I have seen people argue that painting all Muslims as the same as the worst of them is wrong. 

I have agreed with many posters here that Islam needs modernization, and pointed out that progressive Muslims exist and are working to make Islam more progressive, both in Western countries and in Muslim countries.  I have said that Islam serms to be about 50 years behind Christianity in terms of modern progressiveness, that change is coming to Islam - albeit slowly.  I've been attacked as an apologist for suggesting that change is happening and we should welcome, encourage and talk about that, instead of dismissing it as "not enough" or irrelevant.

It really makes me angry when I point out, from my personal experience, Muslims who are tolerant of differences, condemn wife-beating, or killing gays/unbelievers only to be told that "they are lying, because Muslims lie to us to hide their true agenda".  How is that not painting all Muslims with the same brush - even the "good" ones are lying about what they believe and will do, given the chance. 

But you just skip on past that stuff, and then vacuously say "oh but they are only talking about the "bad ones".  

26 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion.  I do not disagree entirely, I just don't really see a lot of difference between repressive regimes, whatever religion they're based on, or even if they're based on no religion at all.  Blaming oppression/barbarity on Islam when there are current and hostorical examples of equally oppressive and barbaric behavior among non-Muslims seems to me to be completely illogical.

You are unable and unwilling to differentiate propaganda from the truth.  Argus, DoP and Goddess spread anti-Muslim propaganda.  Otherwise they would not attack me, nor accuse me or my relatives of lying when I point out that while disapproval of gays, Jews, apostates, dressing scantily, premarital sex, whatever else, most of them aren't willing to take their disapproval to hatred and violence and disapprove of those who do.  If they weren't interested in painting all Muslims as evil, they wouldn't attack me for pointing out that misogynistic practices are just as rampant among non-Muslims as among Muslims in the Middle East and Africa.  Christians and Christian churches support plural marriage (for the man), FGM, honor killings, killing/jailing of gays. 

But god forbid that "truth" be discussed here because it might suggest that Muslims are just about the same as everyone else from that region and not a monolithic block of violent and barbaric killers.

Like I said in my original post, " I've never heard an argument to refute that fact, on here or anywhere else."  You haven't given one here.  You've tried to reduce that to opinion too.  It isn't. 

If you do not believe that Islam is the single most barbaric and repressive religion on the planet, then say so and state your case.  I have stated mine many times.  It's not like it's difficult to make the case I make.  As I also stated somewhere today,  the facts are blindingly obvious. (And as I've said in the past, arguing with someone about Islam is like shooting fish in a barrel)

I also said that stating the truth about Islam does not excuse the behaviour of any other religion.  I think I was the last person to post in the abortion thread.  The thing is, nobody tried to defend them, or accuse me of disseminating propaganda.  For some reason it's different with Islam.

I am not "unable and unwilling to differentiate propaganda from the truth."  It's easy.  I just go with the truth.  You, on the other hand, are one of the subjects of my next post there, expressing puzzlement with those for whom the actions of the group in question are second to the demographics of the group.  To put it very simply, you know they are bad, you just would rather not acknowledge it. (By now you should not need the "not all of them" provisor.  It should be obvious who I'm talking about.)

I don't care what anyone else on here argues, on any point.  I agree sometimes, I disagree sometimes, sometimes I lean more in one direction that the other.  That happens with all subjects, not just this one. 

20 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

You feel the need to lie about other's opinions about Islam. I wonder why that is? Is Islam incapable of standing on its own merits?

You're incapable of using your own Islamic doctrine to show I'm mistaken about your pet religion...which makes me think it isn't meritorious...at all.

I'm not lying about your agenda; your actions prove it daily.

Also, I have no interest in proving Islam meritorious; it isn't.  My interest is in calling out people who make the world a worse place by spreading misinformation, fear and hatred against Muslims - or anyone.  Here, it just happens to be Muslims.  Perhaps if i rewrote your posts, substituting Jews for Muslim, people would clue in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

This is only because you refuse to see the demonization Muslims as played out on this thread.  I haven't seen anyone here argue that mosogyny, anti-semitism or terror is acceptable "because they're Muslim".  I have seen people argue that painting all Muslims as the same as the worst of them is wrong. 

I have agreed with many posters here that Islam needs modernization, and pointed out that progressive Muslims exist and are working to make Islam more progressive, both in Western countries and in Muslim countries.  I have said that Islam serms to be about 50 years behind Christianity in terms of modern progressiveness, that change is coming to Islam - albeit slowly.  I've been attacked as an apologist for suggesting that change is happening and we should welcome, encourage and talk about that, instead of dismissing it as "not enough" or irrelevant.

It really makes me angry when I point out, from my personal experience, Muslims who are tolerant of differences, condemn wife-beating, or killing gays/unbelievers only to be told that "they are lying, because Muslims lie to us to hide their true agenda".  How is that not painting all Muslims with the same brush - even the "good" ones are lying about what they believe and will do, given the chance. 

But you just skip on past that stuff, and then vacuously say "oh but they are only talking about the "bad ones".  

I am only talking about the bad ones.  As I've said many times, who cares about the good anyone?  That's no subject for discussion.

As I am different from other posters, so are you.  No group is completely homogeneous.  As I am of the group that recognizes the brutality and oppression of Islam, but might vary in opinions from others who do, so might you vary in opinions from other members of the group that thinks that the colour and race of Muslims are more important than the actions of Muslims when it comes to discussing the religion.  You are of that group though. 

6 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I'm not lying about your agenda; your actions prove it daily.

Also, I have no interest in proving Islam meritorious; it isn't.  My interest is in calling out people who make the world a worse place by spreading misinformation, fear and hatred against Muslims - or anyone.  Here, it just happens to be Muslims.  Perhaps if i rewrote your posts, substituting Jews for Muslim, people would clue in.

What 'actions' are those?

I accept that you can not defend Islam as it is the worst system for humanity yet devised. Yet you still want folks to shut-up and let Islam do its thing undisturbed by annoying critics asking too many questions about your pet religion's motives.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I am not "unable and unwilling to differentiate propaganda from the truth."  It's easy.  I just go with the truth.  You, on the other hand, are one of the subjects of my next post there, expressing puzzlement with those for whom the actions of the group in question are second to the demographics of the group.  To put it very simply, you know they are bad, you just would rather not acknowledge it. (By now you should not need the "not all of them" provisor.  It should be obvious who I'm talking about.)

Then please ... the next time I post about some Muslim family or friend assert their disapproval of wife beating, forcing religion, forcing hijab/niqab, gay killing, murder in general and terrorism in particular, and Argus, DoP or Goddess jump in to tell me they are lying and don't really mean what they, perhaps you could explain to me just how they aren't accusing all Muslims of bad behavior and not "just the bad ones".  

I've acknowledged plenty of times that because Islam is a patriarchal and conservative religion, it is more prone to misogynistic and oppressive practices than a secular society.  I have also acknowledged that Islamic terrorism is an issue, that anti-Semitism is an issue.  I've acknowledged that FGM, honor killings and homophobia is an issue.  But when I recognize some of these practices are more cultural than religious and Christians as well as Muslims and others behave similarly is unacceptable to certain people here - they continue to insist its just a Muslim thing.  The people who work in those countries to eradicate these cruel practices tell us all the time its lack of education and poverty are more related to these specifically female-oppressive practices than religion.

But of course, you Argus, DoP, Goddess ignore all of that - its much easier to accuse me of protecting "bad" people when I call out specifically anti-Muslim rhetoric on this thread.

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Then please ... the next time I post about some Muslim family or friend assert their disapproval of wife beating, forcing religion, forcing hijab/niqab, gay killing, murder in general and terrorism in particular, and Argus, DoP or Goddess jump in to tell me they are lying and don't really mean what they, perhaps you could explain to me just how they aren't accusing all Muslims of bad behavior and not "just the bad ones".  

I've acknowledged plenty of times that because Islam is a patriarchal and conservative religion, it is more prone to misogynistic and oppressive practices than a secular society.  I have also acknowledged that Islamic terrorism is an issue, that anti-Semitism is an issue.  I've acknowledged that FGM, honor killings and homophobia is an issue.  But when I recognize some of these practices are more cultural than religious and Christians as well as Muslims and others behave similarly is unacceptable to certain people here - they continue to insist its just a Muslim thing.  The people who work in those countries to eradicate these cruel practices tell us all the time its lack of education and poverty are more related to these specifically female-oppressive practices than religion.

But of course, you Argus, DoP, Goddess ignore all of that - its much easier to accuse me of protecting "bad" people when I call out specifically anti-Muslim rhetoric on this thread.

Can I just state for the record that if you ever post about a Muslim family or friend asserting their disapproval of wife beating, forcing religion, forcing hijab/niqab, gay killing, murder in general and terrorism in particular, I believe you.  Why wouldn't I?  If every Muslim on the planet was like those I abhor, we would be in very deep trouble indeed.

How about the next time I post about how brutal and oppressive a religion Islam is, you believe me that I'm talking about the brutality and oppression of Islam as a religion, and have no other motives.

35 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

How about the next time I post about how brutal and oppressive a religion Islam is, you believe me that I'm talking about the brutality and oppression of Islam as a religion, and have no other motives.

I'll continue to respond to you here when you try to put forward the idea that everybody on this thread is only talking about "the bad ones", or that they aren't deliberately demonizing all Muslims as being just like the bad ones.

48 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

If every Muslim on the planet was like those I abhor, we would be in very deep trouble indeed.

If the world was as small as you think it is, that trouble would be the least of our worries.

49 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

that I'm talking about the brutality and oppression of Islam as a religion, and have no other motives.

You mean your only motive of talking is the talking? Maybe you should think of a goal for all the talking?

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

What 'actions' are those?

Sorry to butt in, but how about

spreading of propaganda

fear mongering

lying

blackpainting of individuals & groups

enticing violence toward certain individuals & groups (at the very least indirectly)

purposefully deviating from topics the discussion of which doesn't suit your agenda

20 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

You 'accused' me of being Jewish in a swell Gestapo-informer like fashion...thought you were doing the same to Uncle Joe.

Well, are you Jewish or not? Should be easy enough for you to answer yes or no. ;)

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

Yes, Islamic extremists also attack Jews, and right wing extremists attack both Jews and Muslims.  You can't claim one as a problem while dismissing the other.

Two of my links below discuss anti-Semitism in Europe, from both Muslims and right-wingers.  I highlight the right-wingers because otherwise you'll deny it.

From the Atlantic, 2015:

"Renewed vitriol among right-wing fascists and new threats from radicalized Islamists have created a crisis, confronting Jews with an agonizing choice"

In Hungary, a leader of the right-wing Jobbik party called on the government ... to draw up a list of all the Jews in the country who might pose a “national-security risk.” In Greece, a recent survey found that 69 percent of adults hold anti-Semitic views, and the fascists of the country’s Golden Dawn party are open in their Jew-hatred."

From DW, 2019:

"Wednesday's attack on a synagogue and two passers-by in the area by a self-confessed far-right extremist in the east German city of Halle is just the tip of the iceberg."

Most cases of anti-Semitic harassment were registered in Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium, according to the FRA. The EU agency registered the fewest such incidents in the UK, France and Italy. ... European anti-Semitism is the result of European societies becoming increasingly intolerant, adding that "there of course exists a link between growing right-wing populism in Europe and anti-Semitism." ... Last year, for example, a far-right extremist stormed into a US synagogue and killed 11 worshipers."

And from the Times of Isreal, an article about Jews facing threat from multiple sources:

All over the world, far-right, far-left and Islamist fanatics are stoking the flames of Jew-hatred,” Gideon Falter, chief executive of Britain’s Campaign Against Antisemitism group, told JTA.

What is the reason for all of this hatred towards Jews? What have they done that has made so many people despise them so much? Do you have an answer for this? :)

22 minutes ago, Marocc said:

Sorry to butt in, but how about

spreading of propaganda

fear mongering

lying

blackpainting of individuals & groups

enticing violence toward certain individuals & groups (at the very least indirectly)

purposefully deviating from topics the discussion of which doesn't suit your agenda

Give examples of all those accusations or you're just another pissed-off Muslim complaining about the vile infidel...yet again.