Taiwan is part of China!

WWWTT

The now-repealed "one child" policy.

I have heard several different stories about this.

If you have more than one child, you have to pay additional taxes.

Also heard of another procedure that when a women gives birth in a hospital, the doctors does something medically to the mother to make it difficult for her to conceive another child.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't live in China, you don't have a right to judge the morality of their culture.

WWWTT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, no right.

But we can, and do, have comments about it.

Sure, comment all you want.

We have every right to pass judgment on their morality when it impacts us or our economy

Their morality impacts us or our economy?

Does our morality impact the Chinese people or the Chinese economy too? Or is this just a one way street?

WWWTT

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't live in China, you don't have a right to judge the morality of their culture.

True enough but I have a right to express the view that even if Taiwan agrees that its people are Chinese, they may prefer not to live under an arbitrary, repressive regime.

True enough but I have a right to express the view that even if Taiwan agrees that its people are Chinese, they may prefer not to live under an arbitrary, repressive regime.

Fair enough.

But I found from my experience, the Chinese people have more rights than what we do here in Canada!

WWWTT

Their morality impacts us or our economy?

They sure do, when their human, environmental, and labour standards and laws undercut our economy.

Does our morality impact the Chinese people or the Chinese economy too? Or is this just a one way street?

It's definitely a two way street which is not what Canadians signed onto. Trading with them was supposed to cause their society to become more like our's and come up to our standards, we weren't supposed to meet them halfway. Now look at us, our government is spying on us like we were a threat to the national and ideological security of the state.

They sure do, when their human, environmental, and labour standards and laws undercut our economy.

It's definitely a two way street which is not what Canadians signed onto. Trading with them was supposed to cause their society to become more like our's and come up to our standards, we weren't supposed to meet them halfway. Now look at us, our government is spying on us like we were a threat to the national and ideological security of the state.

I would actually like to debate you on these points. But this would be too far separated from the actual thread.

If another more appropriate thread presents itself, we can continue there.

WWWTT

The race/chase to the bottom is a common theme that threads itself throughout many topics in this forum.

It is also largely a myth spread by NIMBYs that get upset when anyone other than themselves try to develop businesses. Edited by TimG