Online Voting in Canada

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and a provision in the Harper Conservative 'Fair Elections Act' intends to remove the authority of Canada’s chief electoral officer to test/trial e-voting; instead, turning any related decisions for trial/deployment over to the HOC/Senate.

When asked in the House of Commons earlier this month why government would give the unelected Senate veto power over whether to engage in online voting experiments, Minister of State for Democratic Reform Pierre Poilievre said it just makes sense that Parliament consider proposals before they are implemented.

“That is the best way to ensure the integrity of our electoral system. We will never apologize for putting Parliament in charge or for protecting the voting system,” he said.

Canadians! Let's make Online Voting a Right! You can vote here for Online Voting in Canada. Less than 50% of voters coming out anyway, it's time to introduce online voting. www.WeVoteCanada.ca

If people can't be bothered to go to a polling station to vote they should not be voting.

No pandering to the lazy.

Edited by TimG

If people can't be bothered to go to a polling station to vote they should not be voting.

Oh come on! Pretty narrow minded thinking. It's a great idea and once security measures are in place, I say, finally, it's about time! A number of folks will embrace it; seniors, disabled; and when bad weather hits; just go online and cast your vote.

So maybe if you're old and in a wheelchair, or maybe even young and in a wheelchair, and maybe why you are in that wheelchair is beccause you served your country at some point, and going to a polling booth is a major chore, then to hell with them, and their damn vote.

So maybe if you're old and in a wheelchair, or maybe even young and in a wheelchair, and maybe why you are in that wheelchair is beccause you served your country at some point, and going to a polling booth is a major chore, then to hell with them, and their damn vote.

You don't bring in online voting to deal with a tiny minority of voters. There are other ways to make things easier for such people. In fact, it is wrong to assume that a old person in a wheelchair would be able to cast a ballot online.

The fact is voter participation is down because able bodied people don't think voting is worth their time and online voting will not change that.

Edited by TimG

Oh come on! Pretty narrow minded thinking.

It is not narrow minded at all. I have nothing against using technology but in this case there is a principle at stake: if someone can't be bother to go to a poll then they obviously don't care that much about voting.

It is not narrow minded at all. I have nothing against using technology but in this case there is a principle at stake: if someone can't be bother to go to a poll then they obviously don't care that much about voting.

Why not use whatever means possible, to encourage a larger turnout for voting.

You don't bring in online voting to deal with a tiny minority of voters. There are other ways to make things easier for such people. In fact, it is wrong to assume that a old person in a wheelchair would be able to cast a ballot online.

The fact is voter participation is down because able bodied people don't think voting is worth their time and online voting will not change that.

And how do you know online voting won't change that?

How do you know who and what makes up the tiny minority you are alluding to? Online voting is an easy way to make people vote so why not adopt this method. It is wrong to assume that an old person in a wheelchair could not vote online.

Call it a skill testing question for voting. If you can't motivate yourself to get to a poll you probably should not be voting.

Consider for a moment, that younger people use technology everyday and most of the day. If we could get the younger people to vote online (their comfort zone) what is the harm in that?

Online Voting might not be just for those who are "young", our grandmother just signed the petition this afternoon...on her tablet.

Exactly! My 80 year old mother is constantly on her laptop and goes through withdrawals when she gets disconnected. She would certainly vote online if the opportunity was there for her.

No, because you are not keeping an open mind.

You have not provided any argument to support your claim that supporting online voting means you have an "open mind".

As I said, I think voting is a responsibility as well as right.

Also: I have nothing against online transactions but designing a system for authenticating IDs online will be a major PIA. For example, I wanted to get my BC medical statement sent to me online but this requires that I show up at a government office in another city with picture ID so I still get paper statements mailed to me. A e-voting system would have to have similar requirements to be secure. I really doubt it would be easier than showing up at a poll. If it was easier I would not trust it.

Edited by TimG

Also: I have nothing against online transactions but designing a system for authenticating IDs online will be a major PIA. For example, I wanted to get my BC medical statement sent to me online but this requires that I show up at a government office in another city with picture ID so I still get paper statements mailed to me. A e-voting system would have to have similar requirements to be secure. I really doubt it would be easier than showing up at a poll. If it was I would not trust it.

So, you are actually open to the idea, as long as security measures were in place. Those were my exact thoughts as well.

So, you are actually open to the idea, as long as security measures were in place. Those were my exact thoughts as well.

You missed my last statement:

A e-voting system would have to have similar requirements to be secure. I really doubt it would be easier than showing up at a poll. If it was easier I would not trust it.

Edited by TimG

Well, you have nothing to back up your statement that it would not be easier than showing up at a poll. Once the software is in place with security measures etc. it is doable.

My main concern is that when faced with the necessary security requirements that make it cumbersome to use there will be pressure to water down the security requirements and if this happens the integrity of the system would be compromised.

i.e. I don't trust the people advocating the system to be serious about security because they are more worried about getting online voting than to ensure security.

My main concern is that when faced with the necessary security requirements that make it cumbersome to use there will be pressure to water down the security requirements and if this happens the integrity of the system would be compromised.

i.e. I don't trust the people advocating the system to be serious about security because they are more worried about getting online voting than to ensure security.

Well, if they do get to this point, let's hope they have a top notch IT team to test the security features and that the system performs up to the highest standards.

Oh come on! Pretty narrow minded thinking. It's a great idea and once security measures are in place, I say, finally, it's about time! A number of folks will embrace it; seniors, disabled; and when bad weather hits; just go online and cast your vote.

What's to prevent fraud, ie: "Hey honey, since you don't care about voting do you mind if I use your e-vote and online voting security code to cast another vote of mine in your name?". I don't think it's a bad thing to vote in person and show your face.