Time to Phase Out Whales in Captivity

An article appeared in the Vancouver Sun today regarding the whales in captivity at the Vancouver Aquarium. The aquarium is planning a $100 million-plus expansion, which will likely include an enlarged whale pool to accommodate more captive belugas, The mayor of Vancouver weighed in on it with this statement and the aquarium was not pleased!

“The Vancouver Aquarium is renowned worldwide for its work on conservation and state-of-the-art ocean research, and its team plays a crucial role in educating the public about the importance of protecting our vibrant local waters and marine environment. It is a huge draw for local residents and tourists alike, and one of the highlights of Stanley Park.”

But:

“My personal view is that the Vancouver Aquarium should begin to phase out the holding of whales and dolphins in captivity.”

I say, good on Gregor! It's time to stop capturing these whales solely for the purpose of aquariums profiting from them.

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/Pete+McMartin+Mayor+Gregor+Robertson+view+free+whales/9721058/story.html

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder what the whales would say, if given a choice.

Freeeeedooooommmmm!

I watch them for a living. It's not unlike fishing in a way, instead of bringing in a boat full of fish now I bring in a boat full of happy people.

My avatar is a picture of Pacheena, a Southern Resident orca.

Edited by eyeball

Unless an animal is injured from human activity or we're trying to mate human-caused critically endangered species in captivity we shouldn't be keeping any animals in captivity. An exception would be some domesticated animals like dogs/cats. And pets kept in very confined spaces (birds, fish, hamsters etc.) shouldn't be allowed. Zoos and aquariums etc. shouldn't exist.

They're just as impressive in the wild or so my guests who've been to an aquarium tell me. I get the sense most people who come to view wildlife in their natural environments go away as advocates for both. There is also an ecological and economic footprint to consider and eco-touring can definitely be a so-called thing - moving people to where the whales are either in the wild or in a tank somewhere burns fuel but who knows how much comparatively speaking. Besides wages I'm pretty sure fuel is the 2nd highest cost when using a boat and boat's are also often hellishly expensive to maintain. Boat after all is a well known acronym that means bring-on-another-thousand...more like ten-thousand these days.

They're just as impressive in the wild or so my guests who've been to an aquarium tell me. I get the sense most people who come to view wildlife in their natural environments go away as advocates for both. There is also an ecological and economic footprint to consider and eco-touring can definitely be a so-called thing - moving people to where the whales are either in the wild or in a tank somewhere burns fuel but who knows how much comparatively speaking. Besides wages I'm pretty sure fuel is the 2nd highest cost when using a boat and boat's are also often hellishly expensive to maintain. Boat after all is a well known acronym that means bring-on-another-thousand...more like ten-thousand these days.

Well i know that, but more people are likely to see a whale at the aquarium than on a charter, in a perfect world i wouldn't want any of them captive.

When they do look into a tank at a cetacean, at an orca especially, I think they should realize they're often looking at the abducted member(s) of families that are also often just as traumatized and victimized by the catastrophe that's befallen their pod. Given how many die during a capture it's pretty debatable how aquariums help the one's left in the wild.

I't's been a long time since any were captured in BC thankfully, but it doesn't look good for them elsewhere. Just as the practice is falling out of favour here...

...in Russia and China. How long it will take for the sentiment against aquariums and marine parks to take hold there is anyone's guess but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by eyeball

Well i know that, but more people are likely to see a whale at the aquarium than on a charter, in a perfect world i wouldn't want any of them captive.

In this perfect world, they don't need to be held captive. There is no good reason for it except for the profitability of aquariums.

Freeeeedooooommmmm!

I watch them for a living. It's not unlike fishing in a way, instead of bringing in a boat full of fish now I bring in a boat full of happy people.

My avatar is a picture of Pacheena, a Southern Resident orca.

That's very cool! Is that off Vancouver Island?

Unless an animal is injured from human activity or we're trying to mate human-caused critically endangered species in captivity we shouldn't be keeping any animals in captivity. An exception would be some domesticated animals like dogs/cats. And pets kept in very confined spaces (birds, fish, hamsters etc.) shouldn't be allowed. Zoos and aquariums etc. shouldn't exist.

I agree with this. There is no need for aquariums and zoos. It's quite upsetting to visit one of these places and watch these animals held captive away from their natural environment.

I recall many years ago, visiting a zoo with my young kids (would never do that again!). They had a bear in a large cage with a pop machine just outside the pen. It was filled with orange crush pop. Visitors could buy a pop and feed it to the bear. It was just horrible. Mind you, I don't expect many zoos would get away with that now but it was simply horrific to see the bear drinking that pop all day long, and of course the bees were just swarming the place.

I dont mind most zoos.

Dont see the harm since many (not all) of the animals came from worse conditions and have a warm happy place to play and eat (not all of course)

Some of the private zoos are a nightmare, but thats more regulation laziness than anything.

A zoo is a great place for kids to learn and see exotic animals.

I dont mind most zoos.

Dont see the harm since many (not all) of the animals came from worse conditions and have a warm happy place to play and eat (not all of course)

Some of the private zoos are a nightmare, but thats more regulation laziness than anything.

How could a wild animal living in their natural environment be worse conditions than living in a zoo. Can you give an example?

How could a wild animal living in their natural environment be worse conditions than living in a zoo. Can you give an example?

Sure !

Russian bears in travelling circus shows for one, horribly abused.

Animals born in captivity for two.

Animals injured and re-habbed but not able to be released for three.

Animals that are about to go extinct and or gene pool too low for any succedful re-intr4oduction for four.

Shall I go on?

Sure !

Russian bears in travelling circus shows for one, horribly abused.

Animals born in captivity for two.

Animals injured and re-habbed but not able to be released for three.

Animals that are about to go extinct and or gene pool too low for any succedful re-intr4oduction for four.

Shall I go on?

If zoos, circuses and aquariums were eliminated, there were would be no need to address your first two points. The next two points I agree with and we could have habitats for just those reasons and we actually do. Sure, you can go on.

If zoos, circuses and aquariums were eliminated, there were would be no need to address your first two points.

Ok, do you want to shoot them or do I have to ? They are banned in many spots going forward but we have to grandfather current ones until they go bye bye

The next two points I agree with and we could have habitats for just those reasons and we actually do. Sure, you can go on.

Habitat...zoo...habitat...zoo

I don't understand why we need to sacrifice the freedom of wild animals so our kids can learn and see exotic animals. It seems like too high a price for the animals to fulfill our perceived kids needs.

A bear in the zoo probably will not be shot during a bear cull or spring hunt as part of the black bear management program in Northern Ontario. :rolleyes:

Alright then, let's round them up and put them in the zoo! He will be exposed to warm, comfy surroundings and plenty of food at his beck n call. :)

Maybe the answer is not to eliminate zoos but to make them much larger and much more like the animals habitat in the wild. Im picturing 500 acres of forest where the visitors hike around and view the animals in a setting thats much closer to how they live in the wild. You could build a contained eco system with the right mix of predators and prey, and the right animals for the climate and so on.

I DO think theres value in people being able to see these animals... And not everyone can afford to travel to the island and charter Eyeballs boat.

You seem to be anthropomorphizing wild animals.

Nature is a dangerous place... animals get preyed on (and often not in the most humane way... do a google search for "lion eating baby elephant alive"). Predators get injured during the "hunt", and thus are in pain for years. Struggles for dominance can likewise cause injury. And then there's the panic... how do you think the average zebra feels when its being chased by a lion? And this assumes that the animal does not die from the weather (Drought, floods, unexpected cold, etc.) or disease, things that Zoos tend to protect animals from.

Zoos are not always perfect. I'm sure there are some downright horrible ones... But, creatures in zoos tend to have longer life spans, and in many ways have a "better" life (less chance of injury, less stress.)

There is a necessity to treat the animals well. And we still have a lot to learn (particularly about how to handle predators, who usually require more mental stimulation than herbivores), but to assume all animals will be "better off" in the wild is a bit short sighted.

They're just as impressive in the wild or so my guests who've been to an aquarium tell me.

The problem is, not everyone will have the ability to see such creatures "in the wild"... A person wishing to see (for example) a killer whale will have to travel all the way to the coast, plus possibly rent a boat (not everyone can afford that). And after all that you run the risk of the whale being a "no show".

Hopefully, a person will go down to the local aquarium or zoo, see the whale/dolphin/lion/godzilla there, come to the appreciation of how impressive the animals are there, and use it as an educational experience in order to get people to treat the environment better as a whole.

When the only experience people have with animals is their pet cat, and the idea of "whale" is of an animal thousands of miles away, a person could become apathetic towards nature.