School stabbings.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a stabbing at a Toronto office today as well. Luckily no guns were involved or it could have been far worse. No one died.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/chuang-li-former-employee-charged-in-toronto-office-stabbings-1.2603977

luckily. I know im proud to live in a country where far more poeple are stabbed than shot, and in recent years more people killed with knives than guns.

I guess those knives just talked them into it, In 2011 of the rifles/shotguns only 30 of them were evil enough to force their owners into killing someone, thats not bad considering there are several million in the country, well there are undoubtedly more knives, clearly there are likely to be more evil ones.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/legal01-eng.htm

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2012001/article/11738/tbl/tbl03-eng.htm

It never ceases to amaze me how people can be more concerned with a gun homicide victim than anything else. Of the 598 homicides in 2011, 5 percent were committed with a shotgun or rifle, yes bring back the registry, lets ban more firearms never used in crimes, lets spend millions upon millions some some can feel safer, meanwhile the weapon of choice in this country sits in a drawer, just waiting, watching. Yes there are too many hand gun murders, but we know the vast majrity of those are related to criminal activity and are illegal guns, but sure, keep targetting the 5%.

luckily. I know im proud to live in a country where far more poeple are stabbed than shot, and in recent years more people killed with knives than guns.

I guess those knives just talked them into it, In 2011 of the rifles/shotguns only 30 of them were evil enough to force their owners into killing someone, thats not bad considering there are several million in the country, well there are undoubtedly more knives, clearly there are likely to be more evil ones.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can fall for this silly logical fallacy... The difference between cars, kitchen knives and handguns is handguns are specifically designed to murder other people.

I have a safe full of rifles and shotguns that I use for both hunting and recreation. I think a properly trained person with no criminal record should be able to buy one any time they want to. But when people like you and Shady trot out these silly fallacies about cars and knives you just make gun owners as a group look stupid. Stop helping already!

Yep, let's go and take all the knives out of all the kitchens in the country. I reckon most people have dubious intentions when they go to Canadian Tire for a carving knife. But let's let 'em keep guns. Yep, that'll stop people getting killed.

Unless I missed something here, it seems that everyone here is under the impression that there are no restrictions on some knives.

WWWTT

I agree with those who state if this sick boy had an assault rifle we are looking at a massacre.

So I am not sure how this justifies owning guns.

The fact is there are a lot of mentally ill people out there. They can use virtually anything as a weapon if they want to but to argue a knife is just as dangerous as a gun is pointless.

As for Fort Hood, what we see there is post traumatic stress syndrome yet again rear its ugly head. PTSD is a very real and serious mental illness the armed forces in the US and Canada are struggling with .Its precisely because soldiers have access to weapons and know how to use them, they act out with them. The weapon becomes the extension of that part of their power they feel was lost once they returned.

Extreme sadness or despair is often expressed with hysterical laughter. People overjoyed or overcome with sheer happiness cry. A man feeling powerless and impotent and helpess on his return to regular day to day life, will act out one extreme feeling with the exact opposite no differently and thus the explosion outword with extreme violence. The gun is the symbol of power-destroying is the symbol for controlling life-and for those needing to act out they are in control of life, its because they feel out of control.

If a gun is accessible a violent man will use it. Without access to a gun may turn to a bat, a knife, his own hands but the fact is an assault rifle attack is harder to put down.

A mentally ill person of any kind is problematic when they become violent. They are all difficult to put down but please don't tell me a mad man with a gun is not more of a danger than a man without a gun. That makes no sense to me.

I prefer guns to stay in the hands of police or armed forces personnel or tightly controlled on firing ranges.

For people who have to hunt to eat and live, I think they have a totally different outlook to the rifle and I think life necessity makes them a lot more mature and grounded when using one then say those of us who buy our food at a grocery store. I am loath to regulate such hunters.

Me personally I was trained to use one and I would not. Don't like them. I think it takes a special person to be able to use one-a person who can detach their breathing and feelings from the weapon and stay in a calm zone. I think that is not as easy as some think.

There is almost a Zen like quality in learning how to shoot and I defer to people with the proper discipline. Its not a toy. Its lethal in the hands of someone who can not control their emotions.

I put it to you this way-you ever met a guy who learned to box properly? They could kill you easily with their hands. They were also taught not to lose their temper while fighting otherwise they can't fight. All the martial artists are taught that. We make it look so easy to be in control of violence. Every martial artist and boxer I know are in control of their emotions and have this centering quality about them. They don't glorify violence. They respect the

force so to speak so I defer to them.

I defer to such properly trained soliders, police, as I do boxers or martial artists. I think to use or engage in certain things, you need to first earn the right to use them and that requires proper training.

In this case,its tragic. period.

I am glad it was not an assault rifle.

Edited by Rue

Tens of millions of people, own tens of millions of firearms everywhere all of the time that have never and will never harm anyone with them, which makes pretty much everything you wrote irrelevant and well, silly. More people are stabbed, and beaten to death than shot in this country, millions of firearms are owned in this country. If 500 people are murdered each year, and 300 of them are with something other than a firearm, why would it be that the value of the lives taken enmasse by a firearm have more value than the greater number of people that are murdered by other means? The simple answer is they don't. No more than the very small fraction of people who have been killed with an "assault rifle" (which you undoubtedly don't understand the meaning of) are more important than the far greater number of people who are murdered by almost any other means or weapon. The two most well known shootings in this country involving "assault rifles" (which they weren't) account for 15 victims, are those lives more important than the 200 stabbed to death in a given year?

Btw, the number of people shot in the US with "assault rifles" is a incredibly small fraction of total homicides. in 2011 ALL rifles, including your average deer gun, accounted for less than half of those commited with hands, fists or feet (how many were martial artists..), and 2.5% of all homicides, surely than is not a reason to take them away from citizens. For the record, I do not own an "assault rifle", but i do have hands and feet, making me at least as dangerous as those who do, and far more dangerous than the inanimate object on it's own.

Edited by Charles Anthony
quotation of entire previous post deleted

For the record, I do not own an "assault rifle", but i do have hands and feet, making me at least as dangerous as those who do, and far more dangerous than the inanimate object on it's own.

So all weapons are equal, so there should be no restrictions on any type of weapon. Is this what you are saying?

Edited by Wilber

Canada has a very large number of firearms, but our gun crime rates are extremely low. When was the last time Canada had a school shooting? Was it that Kimveer Gill thing in 2006? Why is there such a marked contrast between Canada and the US in that area?

-k

Canada has a very large number of firearms, but our gun crime rates are extremely low. When was the last time Canada had a school shooting? Was it that Kimveer Gill thing in 2006? Why is there such a marked contrast between Canada and the US in that area?

-k

Now there is a question that has puzzled me for some time. As you say, we have lot's of guns in Canada but we don't use them to shoot each other. I've travelled a fair bit in the US and the strife you see in some of the big cities (Philadelphia comes to mind of a recent trip) seems to create tension that you could (pardon the expression) cut with a knife. Add to that how easy it is to get a gun, compared to our laws, and the lethal mix becomes apparent. A lot of people in the US have guns as they feel the need of protection. Recall a recent school shooting were the troubled teen "borrowed" his mothers AR 15 for his rampage. I have lived all my life in Canada from it's largest city to various small towns from the east coast to the west. Never have I felt the need for a gun for protection. Population density, crime rate, paranoia, or something else? We are not all that different as people in my view, but we seem to get along better.

Because

....Why is there such a marked contrast between Canada and the US in that area?

The U.S. Constitution and culture celebrates guns and individual gun ownership. But this thread is about school stabbings, which were not uncommon when I attended public/private schools. Knives were routinely carried by children as young as six or seven years old, with assaults starting in junior and senior high schools. Knife games were played in the dirt.

Then maybe it's time to question that constitution. And what is really all the more signifigant difference between gun violence and knife violence? It's all violence. But you bring up another Canada/US difference. I grew up where many young kids got to carry jackknives. It made you a little more grown up I guess. I don't ever recall anyone stabbing anyone else. Lot's of knives, no violence. How come?

Then maybe it's time to question that constitution. And what is really all the more signifigant difference between gun violence and knife violence? It's all violence. But you bring up another Canada/US difference. I grew up where many young kids got to carry jackknives. It made you a little more grown up I guess. I don't ever recall anyone stabbing anyone else. Lot's of knives, no violence. How come?

"No violence"?....I seriously doubt that. Perhaps "less violence". The U.S. is not Canada, as if that isn't abundantly obvious. Violence is part of American culture and always has been.

"No violence"?....I seriously doubt that. Perhaps "less violence". The U.S. is not Canada, as if that isn't abundantly obvious. Violence is part of American culture and always has been.

The stats certainly prove less violence. Why don't you let your government follow our lead. Surely that second amendment BS isn't more important than lives, especially young lives who haven't even finished school yet. Or is it because there's better money in selling guns to whoever wants one? Up to you guys I guess.

The stats certainly prove less violence. Why don't you let your government follow our lead. Surely that second amendment BS isn't more important than lives, especially young lives who haven't even finished school yet. Or is it because there's better money in selling guns to whoever wants one? Up to you guys I guess.

This topic is not about guns....it's school stabbings. Either way, it is up to "us guys", which is just the way it should be.

This topic is not about guns....it's school stabbings. Either way, it is up to "us guys", which is just the way it should be.

Stabbings, shootings, what's really the difference? It's a violent community you have down there, and as long as you continue to stick your head in the sand about it, it will continue. Yep, up to you guys.

Stabbings, shootings, what's really the difference? It's a violent community you have down there, and as long as you continue to stick your head in the sand about it, it will continue. Yep, up to you guys.

The difference is huge....knives are not protected by the 2nd Amendment. It will continue just like stabbings and shootings continue in Canada...so what ?

BC, you always pull the 'thread drift' when it suits your fancy. You seem to go off topic quite often, just as much as anyone else. But you constantly call people out when you feel you no longer have the upper hand.

BC, you always pull the 'thread drift' when it suits your fancy. You seem to go off topic quite often, just as much as anyone else. But you constantly call people out when you feel you no longer have the upper hand.

Basic tactics....but not so much anymore....we are on a shorter leash these days. Clearly this thread is not about guns.

Again, this thread is not about guns. I can buy wholesale lots of knives and swords from some guy on late night cable tv dirt cheap...no store on the corner required. I just bought two titanium plated folding knives at the home store tonight....99 cents U.S. after rebate.

http://www.cutlerycorner.net/