http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/02/us/fort-hood-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

There were reports about an immanent terror attack in the USA over the past week or so.

(CNN) -- Multiple people were killed and others injured Wednesday when a shooter opened fire at Fort Hood, Texas, a senior military official and law enforcement official told CNN.

The officials said the suspected shooter was among the dead.

The initial report is the incident started as a soldier-on-soldier attack, law enforcement sources told CNN. The initial assessment is the incident is not terror-related, the sources said.

The Army installation, in an evening statement, said it had an initial report that a shooter was dead, "but this is unconfirmed."

"The injured personnel are being transported to Carl R. Darnall Medical Center and other local hospitals. Numerous law enforcement agencies are in support and on the scene. The number of injured are not confirmed at this time," it said.

President Barack Obama was briefed and spoke Wednesday evening about the incident.

"The situation is fluid right now ... I want to just assure all of us we are going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened," the President said. "We're heartbroken something like this might have happened again."

He was referring to a 2009 massacre at Fort Hood.

Wonder how this will be spun this time. If it is another 'radical muslim' like the last time, I'd be highly suspect.

If these guys cannot keep themselves safe in a tightly controlled environment, how do you expect them to keep the rest of us safe in an uncontrolled environment.

Last time it WAS a radical muslim. Also, not sure what you mean by 'these guys'.

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I suspect perhaps just maybe "these guys" refers to the military. I was just saying the other day to a friend of mine the US hasn't had a school etc., shooting in a while, well here we go. I guess the NRA will weigh in and say "we need more guns"

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I suspect perhaps just maybe "these guys" refers to the military. I was just saying the other day to a friend of mine the US hasn't had a school etc., shooting in a while, well here we go. I guess the NRA will weigh in and say "we need more guns"

What does this have to do with the NRA? It was a military shooting at a military base. You want the military to go gun free now? :rolleyes:

It's nice to see you waiting at least a couple of hours before politicizing it.

So it seems to turn out (according to the briefing from the military) that the shooter was soldier who was under psychological treatment who bought a .45 Smith Wesson down at the corner store.

Surprise!! Another solider with some mental issues and PTDS. Natch.

It seems Kent State comes up now and then .. and again today..

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/04/police_investigate_report_of_a.html

UPDATED 12:03 A.M. THURSDAY

KENT, Ohio — Kent State's campus was put into lockdown and police swarmed the area Wednesday evening after a gunman fired a shot into the ground near a classroom building.

Police say a suspect was taken into custody around 11:35 p.m. after some tense hours that kept students and others locked in buildings and led to two buildings being evacuated room-by-room.

The gunfire, which police say occurred at about 8:10 p.m., apparently was sparked by a dispute between a man and a woman.

The campus went on lockdown at about 9:15 p.m. It was lifted for most of the campus around 10:20 p.m. except for two buildings on campus which were evacuated room by room by police. The final building was cleared at about 11:45 p.m. and a shelter-in-place advisory was lifted for the entire campus.

No injuries were reported. Ten police agencies responded to the incident, including the Portage County S.W.A.T. unit.

I wonder if they will ever "get it" down there. We have guns here in Canada, and we also have gun laws. If you want to go deer hunting for instance, you can get a gun. If you want to get drunk and blow away that pesky neighbout, it's a tad more difficult. Just look at the stats.(Wito or without the latest)

I'm not sure that this argument fits with this Fort Hood shooting. Soldiers returning from war zones need access to mental health professionals and it sounds like this guy did. Unfortunately, he didn't get the help he needed in time to prevent this situation. He has left behind a wife and children to pick up the pieces and as far as I understand, the wife is supplying whatever information she can with regards to her husband.

Although, if he did commit these crimes with a .45 smith wesson, how did he get it on base, although I'm sure it is probably quite easy if you have access to Fort Hood.

There are of course a lot of details yet to be known with this case. However it does seem to fit a pattern of sorts. Also, he's military, how come he didn't have access to his own gun(s). Perhaps he was not allowed weapons due to his current treatment phase. No worries, just walk down the street to "Joe's all night gun shop" and buy what you want. And then...boom.

I wonder if they will ever "get it" down there. We have guns here in Canada, and we also have gun laws. If you want to go deer hunting for instance, you can get a gun. If you want to get drunk and blow away that pesky neighbout, it's a tad more difficult. Just look at the stats.(Wito or without the latest)

Sooner or later one of the brighter Canadians will figure out that you can use a deer rifle to shoot people.What will we do then?