Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

Do you want moderators to stop thread drift?

Sometimes thread drift can be damned annoying. I just think there are other ways of dealing with it than simply locking the thread. I wrote to you a short while back because of thread drift on a topic I'd started and asked you to split off the drift part and start a new topic, which you did. Problem solved.

In the particular topic which was recently canned there weren't even any warnings to get back on topic.

No - I've already said as much multiple times. It's damaging to conversation.

That's too blanket a statement. Sometimes thread drift is stupid, done by just a couple of people, and makes it hard to continue a conversation.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's only a couple of people, why can't you ignore them and just reply to the people you do want to talk to?

Because if it's the wrong two people it can produce pages and pages of crap entirely unrelated to the topic.

Edited by Argus

Go back and re-read what he said. He gave you a solution to address thread drift, a solution that improves discussion instead of hindering it.

And it works - they actually split off the discussion and all relevant posts, putting context of where the discussion originally started in the title.

What you're doing is much more damage to interesting and detailed discussions than even the worst thread drift.

Thread topics are a starting point. Nobody in a real conversation stays completely on topic. One idea triggers another and off it goes. No rational person stops that in mid-track and says "wait no, that's not what we were talking about". A person who would do that is someone you wouldn't invite out next time.

Real life discussions goes out of the topic many times because of people cant control themselves during a discussion and you cant stop them doing so if you are not planning to bondage their mouths. Its different in forums. Everthing goes in much more controlled manner. You can think twice before you write something in a topic or moderators can interfere with a derailing in a discussion.

Edited by Altai

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, jbg said:

How do you contact the moderators? That seems to be disabled.

Send them a message, the little envelope icon at the top of the screen. For those who don't know who the moderators are, go under browse --> staff and it will list them including a shortcut to the message. 

Just now, ?Impact said:

Send them a message, the little envelope icon at the top of the screen. For those who don't know who the moderators are, go under browse --> staff and it will list them including a shortcut to the message. 

That function isn't working for all of the moderators. Thanks though.

On 9/5/2016 at 9:42 PM, Bryan said:

If it's only a couple of people, why can't you ignore them and just reply to the people you do want to talk to?

To anyone who reads the site and does not post are exposed to the trolling, it's probably why we don't get many new people joining and chatting. I see 89,000 members, 1400 online and about 20 people posting regularly. WTF are with those numbers?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 9:36 PM, GostHacked said:

To anyone who reads the site and does not post are exposed to the trolling, it's probably why we don't get many new people joining and chatting. I see 89,000 members, 1400 online and about 20 people posting regularly. WTF are with those numbers?

I have loved this site over the years but have reduced my posting, in view of the number of warnings and suspensions I get that I just don't understand. I appreciate that Greg, Charles and Michael are volunteers so I don't want to get into a mudfest. But sometimes people don't see eye to eye.

I posted something this morning in the Flag Burning thread to Altai, but it disappeared.  Out of curiosity, was it deleted or did I do something wrong on my phone?

What I said was benign so I'm assuming it was a technical glitch but with this forum you never know...

4 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

I posted something this morning in the Flag Burning thread to Altai, but it disappeared.  Out of curiosity, was it deleted or did I do something wrong on my phone?

Did you perform a micro-aggression on a snowflake? For shame!

1 minute ago, Argus said:

Did you perform a micro-aggression on a snowflake? For shame!

Micro-aggression against Turkey, but not Altai.  She was so proud of Turkey for killing people for committing flag crimes I was left scratching my head why on earth EU would not allow the country membership. 

Maybe it was deemed off-topic, but it was my way of saying that a country that regards flag burning as a crime doesn't get to sit at the table with the grownups.  

Still hoping I just clicked something incorrectly. 

12 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

What I said was benign ...

Your post was grossly off-topic and could only derail the thread. 

Normally, we will send a Personal Message informing you of a post being taken down and we send it back to you to edit.  In this case, the derail was more than obvious. 

It was very much on-topic.  A country that considers flag-burning a crime does not belong with the rest of civilized countries. 

I'm with poochy, you were way too trigger happy with that one.

The person bringing Turkey into the conversation isn't derailing but the person who points out that the country that considers flag burning a crime is not fit to sit at the table with the grownups is derailing.

SMH.

Edited by BC_chick

11 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

It was very much on-topic. 

We disagree.

Regardless, deliver your message WITHOUT a personal jab next time. When a personal jab is at the forefront of your post, moderator tolerance drops and the troll-o-meter starts to ring. 

We let a lot of nonsense fly.  All we want is for folks to be courteous with eachother and to avoid personal attacks.