Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also seems calling someone ignorant is grounds for a warning point. Kind of tame considering the crap I see that gets thrown around this place.

The moderators like to move the goalposts without prior notification. I've been here eleven years. My behaviour is far and away more polite and lacking in insult than it used to be. In spite of this I've gotten more warning points in the past year or so than in the previous ten years. And I don't believe any were for directly insulting a person.

The moderators like to move the goalposts without prior notification. I've been here eleven years. My behaviour is far and away more polite and lacking in insult than it used to be. In spite of this I've gotten more warning points in the past year or so than in the previous ten years. And I don't believe any were for directly insulting a person.

Perhaps you should re read some of your posts.

Interesting you mention this, because a post I made that was removed was referring to your posts as ignorant. Not sure if you reported it, but moderation felt it was necessary to address while the other shit that gets thrown around seems to get a pass. The kicker is that I don't think anyone reported it, Hardner felt the need to remove the post on his own accord.

Report it nothing happens, don't report it, and stuff gets deleted.

I still find your posts so filled with nasty that I have you on ignore and only respond when I feel that I am able to ignore the 'nasty' adequately. It's good to know that you've improved.

Way back in my dawn of internet discussion forums I was pretty often chastised for crossing lines of appropriate courtesy, and have also improved, although I can still miss the mark. I do the same in person, though; say something without any ill-will, for me its merely making an observation or drawing a conclusion, and then find out someone felt hurt/insulted/attacked by what I said - so my lack of tact isn't due to 'internet anonymity'. Perhaps you are the same, Argus.

So I replied to the above post saying that if the poster had me on ignore it wasn't because I was nasty to him but because he didn't like what I was saying, probably about the middle east, given his name.

Michael Hardner deleted my post and gave me a warning point for that because "Sounds like you are attacking the other poster".

On the other hand, he had no issue with the post above saying I was nasty and the poster had me on ignore.

Nope. No bias there at all...

Edited by Argus

....Michael Hardner deleted my post and gave me a warning point for that because "Sounds like you are attacking the other poster".

On the other hand, he had no issue with the post above saying I was nasty and the poster had me on ignore.

The fallback excuse is that nobody reported the offending post so no action was taken. Posts are unevenly deleted now based on just what the mods see and feel like absent a direct report. It's just a new wrinkle to what is otherwise like a fun video game with hidden mines !

I concur.

Cheers.

So I replied to the above post saying that if the poster had me on ignore it wasn't because I was nasty to him but because he didn't like what I was saying, probably about the middle east, given his name.

Michael Hardner deleted my post and gave me a warning point for that because "Sounds like you are attacking the other poster".

Putting you on ignore was because of your views regarding those less financially successful than you are, and your assumption that anyone on the Liberal side was lazy, selfish and greedy. I think that was about two-three weeks after I joined.

My username has nothing to do with my ethnicity. It's derived from my given name and is unusual enough that I have yet to find anyone else using it on the internet and don't have to add special characters, which for some reason I just hate doing.

And, I said your posts were filled with nasty, which is different than saying that you are nasty.

And then I found some similarity between us, which I always like to do with people I essentially disagree with. :)

Just so you don't feel so alone and picked on, though, I got a warning point today too.

Guys,

Please take personal banter to the Personal Messaging function.

The moderators like to move the goalposts without prior notification.

We are raising the bar.

The fallback excuse is that nobody reported the offending post so no action was taken.

The observation is that: Oh, good. Folks have moved on.

I still find your posts so filled with nasty that I have you on ignore and only respond when I feel that I am able to ignore the 'nasty' adequately. It's good to know that you've improved.

If you have me on ignore its not because I'm nasty to you but because you don't like what I'm saying, probably about Muslims or the middle east given the name you've chosen. I piss off a lot of people here because I don't make the usual excruciating efforts to make sure no one is offended by my opinions, and because my opinions of groups of people are the bald truth as I see it. I don't care what a religion or race or culture is. I have my standards of behaviour, and if a group falls well below them I'm going to say so and say why. Some people can't handle that. They're aghast that I would dare to criticize this or that group because, well, you know, it's just not DONE. Screw that. If a group acts like a bunch of barbarians and savages I'm going to say so. And no, I don't really care for your excuses about how the world was mean to you in your grandma's time. It's the t

so. This is the twenty first century. People are responsible for their own behaviour. They should stop acting like they're still in the middle ages.

Charles and Michael - You are doing a superb job in which you cannot please everybody. The whiners have one of two options:

1. Accept the type of moderation on this board and continue under their rules.

2. Leave this board.

Why is that such a difficult concept?

No one is forcing anyone to participate.

No one is being asked to pay for their participation.

Last I looked here, there have been over a million posts placed. They must be doing something right.

If you are spending some of your free time here and are not enjoying the process then you have a real problem.

Why would any healthy person spend their free time doing something that they do not enjoy?

Putting you on ignore was because of your views regarding those less financially successful than you are, and your assumption that anyone on the Liberal side was lazy, selfish and greedy.

I make no such assumption about those who vote Liberal. I know a number of people who work hard and vote Liberal.

My views about those who are 'less financially successful' than my own is borne of a concern that if you don't have any responsibility in sustaining a government or its services then you have no reason to vote responsibly. If you pay no taxes, why would you care about ever higher taxes? If you pay no taxes, why wouldn't you vote for whoever promises you the most stuff? If you contribute nothing should you be indignantly demanding more?

My economic success came late in life, btw. I have worked as a cleaner, a busboy and a security guard. For many years.

And may I suggest that when moderators wish someone to rephrase something - as opposed to being given warning points, the subject of the notification be something on a lesser scale than "You have been given a warning"?

Interesting you mention this, because a post I made that was removed was referring to your posts as ignorant. Not sure if you reported it, but moderation felt it was necessary to address while the other shit that gets thrown around seems to get a pass.

I might have. I honestly don't remember. I tend to let a lot of stuff go, but whenever I get one of those "You have been given a warning" things for something I think is pretty innocuous i tend to immediately report similar stuff that was used against me and which was ignored.

I've also begun to suspect that Charles' statement here that it seems to be Right wingers who are causing more trouble than Left wingers is due to the fact Right wingers are less likely to report stuff than the oh-so-sensitive member of the politically correct progressives, which has inspired me to report more. God knows I get reported by certain people here for the slightest imagined transgression so I might as well return the favour.

The software doesn't allow us to modify that message as far as I know.

Okay. May I suggest, then, that messages about transgressions which are not accompanied by a penalty start with something like "You're not getting a warning point for this but I think your post was unhelpful/borderline and would like you to rephrase it..."?

Back in the early 70s, I believe, there was an ongoing phrase among the hard-hat set in the US; something along the lines of "America, love it or leave it". This was aimed at anyone who protested or sought change for any reason. These people felt America was perfect and that anyone who didn't agree should get out.

I thought that was a ridiculous position back then, and I find it no more worthy of consideration now. If you like something, but find issues/imperfections with it, then you should seek to make it better. What kind of a personality simply shrugs and accepts and ignores flaws when they're fixable and would make things better? It has always been part of my personality to want to improve things.

I've also begun to suspect that Charles' statement here that it seems to be Right wingers who are causing more trouble than Left wingers is due to the fact Right wingers are less likely to report stuff than the oh-so-sensitive member of the politically correct progressives, which has inspired me to report more.

I suspect that Charles is ROTFLHAO at this.

He should be in some cases.

God knows I get reported by certain people here for the slightest imagined transgression so I might as well return the favour.

Notwithstanding how God know's, how on Earth would anyone know who's ratted out who or the most? I would imagine the forum software keeps score but how would we know? Should we know? Would it be helpful to know?

Reporting seems to be a really big deal but Charles God really only knows how big I suppose.

Edited by eyeball

Back in the early 70s, I believe, there was an ongoing phrase among the hard-hat set in the US; something along the lines of "America, love it or leave it". This was aimed at anyone who protested or sought change for any reason. These people felt America was perfect and that anyone who didn't agree should get out.

I thought that was a ridiculous position back then, and I find it no more worthy of consideration now. If you like something, but find issues/imperfections with it, then you should seek to make it better. What kind of a personality simply shrugs and accepts and ignores flaws when they're fixable and would make things better? It has always been part of my personality to want to improve things.

Funny, I'd of pegged you as one in full support off such phrases.

Funny, I'd of pegged you as one in full support off such phrases.

On what basis? Have I not complained about things I find inadequate, even when Harper was in power, like health care, about defense and immigration and taxation? The truth is you have no basis for making the above statement whatsoever. You are more likely to defend the status quo, whatever that is, than I.