Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you want us to define trolling for all of you??

This is a stupid question. It's like asking why should cops determine whether or not something is illegal.

Why? Because it's your job as a moderator to moderate. It's your job to determine what's out of bounds and take the necessary steps to stop that from happening. Right now, the instigators are left alone, while the people being instigated are the ones who are punished.

In other words, you've got moderating backwards. I've long given up on trying to reason with you about this because obviously you don't care. Not only have I complained about it in the past, but we have many MANY members expressing the same concerns here and yet your approach to moderating hasn't changed one bit.

So, the forum exists as it exists and nothing will change. that. There's no point even discussing the moderating here and frankly I'm surprised you even respond to this thread since you're quite obviously content with the way things are.

This is a stupid question. It's like asking why should cops determine whether or not something is illegal.

Why? Because it's your job as a moderator to moderate. It's your job to determine what's out of bounds and take the necessary steps to stop that from happening. Right now, the instigators are left alone, while the people being instigated are the ones who are punished.

In other words, you've got moderating backwards. I've long given up on trying to reason with you about this because obviously you don't care. Not only have I complained about it in the past, but we have many MANY members expressing the same concerns here and yet your approach to moderating hasn't changed one bit.

So, the forum exists as it exists and nothing will change. that. There's no point even discussing the moderating here and frankly I'm surprised you even respond to this thread since you're quite obviously content with the way things are.

Well said.

Why would you want us to define trolling for all of you??

No. It is like saying "Stupid is as stupid does."

If you believe something is trolling, do not respond to it.

If you believe something is trolling and you want moderator intervention, report it and do not respond to it.

As long as folks respond to that which they believe to be trolling, they have no business asking for moderator intervention.

If you believe something is trolling and you want moderator intervention, report it and do not respond to it.

As long as folks respond to that which they believe to be trolling, they have no business asking for moderator intervention.

Great joke CA!

Report it. Ha ha.

To be told to deal with it yourself.

And your idea of trolling is also a joke.

Whatever ideology you disagree with being stated is deemed trolling.

Agree with me as I have the power or it's trolling. Yup, fine joke indeed.

Edited by drummindiver

You know, I don't really care what you do - I've learned to live with whatever happens here - but with this, again, I have to call you for absolute nonsense. This is like the judge who asked the rape victim why she didn't keep her legs closed or change angles. Trolling is still strolling whether or not someone responds to it.

Trolling is still strolling whether or not someone responds to it.

That is not in dispute.

What is in dispute is WHAT to do AFTER trolling has been identified.

Well, that's a good question. At least the mods should be consistent with the review of status updates. I have seen plenty of status updates that would have been deleted in a heartbeat if they were posted in a thread.

If you see something in the Status Updates that is rude, report the member or send us a PM. Please tell us where we can find the posting.

If whatever-you-want-deleted occurs in your own Status Update, feel free to delete it yourself ---- that is why the option is made available.

That is not in dispute.

What is in dispute is WHAT to do AFTER trolling has been identified.

The above are your words. It seems you, yourself, dispute your own point. You still may see it is trolling, but you no longer care. You're proven Cybercoma's point. You're punishing only one party - the wrong party, I might add.

The above are your words.

Indeed.

Their 1st order of business is to ask themselves: "After whatever-I-want-to-be-deleted is deleted, what is the moderator to do with my response to the deleted post???????????????????" if "Now that I have given the moderator more work than necessary, will the moderator find this funny??" never occurred to them.

Indeed.

Their 1st order of business is to ask themselves: "After whatever-I-want-to-be-deleted is deleted, what is the moderator to do with my response to the deleted post???????????????????" if "Now that I have given the moderator more work than necessary, will the moderator find this funny??" never occurred to them.

I think that's a pretty big cop out on your part.

I think that's a pretty big cop out on your part.

Meh. I think more of you subconsciously just want censorship but none of you can admit it.

Regardless, answer my questions.

What do YOU want done AFTER you identify trolling?

Do you want the post removed?

Do you want the post left public but the poster banned permanently?

Do you want some middle ground?

What intervention do you want???

We are open to suggestions.

However, I repeat: Half of the Reports of trolling we get are frivolous.

If you can not formulate your Report thusly "This post is trolling because.... and I believe this member should be suspended for X weeks. Please remove the offensive post too while you are at it." then I suggest that you spend more effort putting yourself in the shoes of your target before complaining. If you can not bring yourself to such an exercise, then at the very least, try to put yourself in the shoes of your reader.

If everybody-except-for-you managed to ignore the trolling and you insist on responding to it, then you need to take a breather before you demand moderator intervention. Perhaps join some other forum and vent there for a while before coming back here.

Meh. I think more of you subconsciously just want censorship but none of you can admit it.

I actually don't care what you do. I don't read 3/4 of the posting population's posts, because they're nonsense. I've learned how to live with it at this point. Others obviously can't.

Look, I see your point. It's pretty tough to intervene when people are bickering back and forth. Though the problem arises where one will ignore and report something, then someone else comes along and starts arguing with the troll. At that time we're back to square one with you doing nothing to intervene against the instigators because people have reacted to it. All anyone is asking here is that you stop focusing so much on the responses and focus more on people who intentionally instigate over and over again. It's laid out pretty clearly in the rules. You just have to be willing to enforce them.