Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

The new character certainly has a second wind... His trolling is filling up topics with many posts in a row of drivel. Nice job moderators... Nice job.

probably best to take a break... anything you and others choose to post will simply get buried in the avalanche of purposely instrumented 'nothingness'... is that the "Libertarian Way"? :lol:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem that some members now spend more time on personal attacks and discussions about other members than on actual forum topics. Maybe we need a dedicated forum area for these folks to play without cluttering up many other threads with their ongoing but ultimately meaningless feud(s) with members/moderators.

There are particular kinds of characters who are drawn to anonymous public opinion boards.

LOL!

You are trying to deflect from the most obvious!

Boredom and lack of self discipline. Not to mention some people actually like this format of discussion/communication/interaction. I should really be practicing/reading/learning more Mandarin right now

I believe the percentage of posters that you are getting at would be around 20%?

WWWTT

I think this forum is great for allowing one to present his or her views. The level of debate is outstanding, and I've found that the way I think politically has changed, in some part, because of the debates I have read on this here forum. I am appreciate having the opportunity to present my views, even though my views bring out a lot of venom in other members, as that is not my intention, it's simply a by-product of a stimulating debate.

It would seem that some members now spend more time on personal attacks and discussions about other members than on actual forum topics. Maybe we need a dedicated forum area for these folks to play without cluttering up many other threads with their ongoing but ultimately meaningless feud(s) with members/moderators.

Because, CANADA, right???

Do you?

No. I honestly do not care what your political opinions may be. I care only that those opinions are expressed politely. What more do you need?????

To the right of Stockwell Day? What a strange comment. Is that because you feel there should be a monopoly on political ideologies?

Yeah. I am confused too about this uni-dimensional expression. Is "To the right of..." something the opposite of "To the wrong of..." something?

Whatever happened to up and down? front and back?? before and after???

Do you?

No. I honestly do not care whether somebody "has, in the span of a few days, evolved his views to the point" of whatever conveniently ambiguous-enough label some gal uses to hide a rhetorical trick. Do you have any sense of what you are asking??

Do you need a moderator to intervene in a discussion based on the flippancy of somebody's views??

Nobody is being judged by their views, for goodness' sake. You are all free to hold any "views" you want whether you are sucking on the blue pill or the red pill or any other pill from the rainbow.

I'm more worried about all the personal attacks against people for holding a position that others don't like, or even one that they imagine for them.

Me too. Lots of folks are heavy on the imagination --- how would our world turn without it?

I will try not to care, then, and accept whatever POV pivots occur but it throws you a bit when you are argued at from the north pole, then shortly later from the south pole.

No doubt! I would expect a view from the south pole to throw everybody off more than just a bit!! LOL Maybe that is exactly what this world needs! Once you finally get "there" and see the light, you will have no choice but to see these discussions less personally.

If we keep riding with the same ironic metaphor, Sensei Crusty Mod says: "Man go south pole must cross greater wall than china." Give up expecting to see consistent views. What difference does it make? I see everybody changing their views all of the time. If you think somebody is not being serious and if that bothers you, ignore them.

Careful careful careful Charles Anthony!

What do you think will happen to this site if no one cared?

What is this? A game of telephone???

Look, I do not care what any of your opinions happen to be. Get it?

Now you are going to tell the next guy that I do not care about the forum, right? Is that how it works?

It's not that the arguments from the north pole were in any way believable.

The same could be said from the south "pole" too!

Fake discussion?! Priceless!! You can not write this stuff!

The more outrageous the post, the more responses it guarantees - and the author reads the replies and celebrates the success of his/her in manipulating the readers. I am surprised how many people allow themselves to be played for fools.

The bigger the lie...

Uh, just out of curiosity, why bring me into this? And for the record, I'm pretty well convinced the Earth is round. There are pictures, even...

....though it is still unclear whether everybody is on the same plane in this discussion.

Can we agree that the word "idiot" is either inflammatory and or ambiguous?

There is no rhyme or reason to how anything is moderated here.

That is because some of you are obnoxious. Perception is everything as evidenced by this thread.

The same could be said from the south "pole" too!

Fake discussion?! Priceless!! You can not write this stuff!

That is because some of you are obnoxious.

Nope. The same couldn't be said about the south pole. The north pole was a poorly written caracature; the south pole, not so much. I'm a little bit surprised you weren't able to catch on over the last few years. Edited by BubberMiley

As some of you may recall, Mr. Canada had a meltdown and got himself banned when Obama won in 2012. The day after he was banned he taunted the board through the status-updates using several of his aliases which he deleted right away. I saw them as did another poster who took screen-shots.

There were so many aliases, some obvious, some not so obvious. Several still post here.

Anyway, you all know what is going on and this thread is providing everything he wants. He thrives on the negativity.

Until Charles has reason to ban this alias, it's best to not engage him. I feel yucky even writing this post and giving him this much attention.

Cite?

Cite? We just need to go through your history of responses to people complaining to you about trolling and just look at your actions locking down threads. You give the impression (thus "it seems") that you care more about people going off topic than trolling itself. You've even said that trolling isn't trolling unless it's off topic.

Ambiguous? I would think the word is reasonably descriptive. It's certainly inflammatory in that people generally don't like to be referred to as an idiot. On the other hand, it's unquestionably true that some people are idiots. So is it unfair to refer to an idiot as an idiot? I suppose that's one of those technical rules we have to obey in order to attempt somewhat civilized discussions, that is, we have to pretend nobody here really is an idiot, despite evidence to the contrary.

Ambiguous? I would think the word is reasonably descriptive. It's certainly inflammatory ...

...which is good enough. We do not need to agree on both. We need only agree on at least 1 of them to begin to have an intelligent discussion about trolling in the forum.

So, back to your "obvious" trolling post. What is the problem with it? You chose to inject an insult. Agree or disagree?

Had the word "idiot" not been used, would it be an "obvious" trolling post in your opinion?

...which is good enough. We do not need to agree on both. We need only agree on at least 1 of them to begin to have an intelligent discussion about trolling in the forum.

So, back to your "obvious" trolling post. What is the problem with it? You chose to inject an insult. Agree or disagree?

Had the word "idiot" not been used, would it be an "obvious" trolling post in your opinion?

Insults are not a necessary part of a trolling post. The purpose of a trolling post is not to insult but to get attention and perhaps to get people worked up about something, to take an absurd stand, or one you know will rile a bunch of people, and pretend you're serious about it when you're really not.

I think Adolph Hitler was, in fact,a great human being who is merely misunderstood and the victim of propaganda from the victors in a war. In all likelihood, Barrack Obama is actually a Muslim born in Kenya - and quite likely a lesbian. Global warming is being caused by dragons, who have come out of their eons long slumber and will soon burst free of the volcanoes in which they have been hibernating!

I will take that as either a Yes and or a No.

My suggestion to you is the same: If you encounter what-YOU-perceive-to-be trolling, ignore it and do not respond in kind.

Charles Anthony: Please explain why you locked the "Female security screener won't frisk male passenger" thread instead of simply taking appropriate disciplinary action against the individual poster who came in there hurling insults.

It's apparently my fault for not giving you guys enough to talk about to keep your tiny adolescent minds from wandering back to Caitlyn Jenner.

-k

He had to lock it down so he wouldn't have to Go after the true culprits. I saw a debate evolving perfectly fine until certain members wanted to draw attention to themselves. It's certainly not the first time and I bet no warnings were given out.