Alison Redford resigns, PC Premier of Alberta

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/19/alison-redford-resigns-as-premier-of-alberta/

Oh thank christ. The liberal that ran the almost-conservative party has finally conceded and quit.

So does this just give the PCs in Alberta another chance to put someone that will piss off Albertans less into the lead chair?

I know that the biggest loss today is for Danielle Smith of the Wildrose. She would have LOVED to take on Alison in the next election (especially with some polling numbers putting her in the 17-20% range). Who would have guessed that expense accounts would have been what took down an Alberta Premier???

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Maybe the Premier was watching Smith on CBC tonight, but hey, does this mean Harper may resign and head back to Alberta and run for leadership of the PC's? No, he did that and lost but he backs Smith, so, is the Wildrose party another name for the Reform/Alliance party? No doubt Harper will be keeping his eyes on Alberta and communications open with Smith.

Harper ran for the job? Don't recall that Topaz.

The Wildrose is actually very, very similar to the original Reform party. I would guess that (the liberal) Gary Mar will be next up for the chair, but I would prefer if one of their most liberal members took the job.

So much the easier for the WR to finally take this province back to where it should be. Fiscally responsible.

It's too bad the only viable alternative governing party in Alberta are those whackadoos in the Wild Rose.

Don't count the Tories out.

Everybody: media, pollsters, and Wildrose diod last election and Wildrose got crushed in a sweep that was much more anti-Wildrose than it was pro-PC..

The most remarkable event in AB politics in recent years was that Danielle Smith kept her job. She won't survive another loss.

Smith has tried hard to moderate the underlying anti-gay, anti-woman, anti immigrant and pro-creationist elemnts that that are thick in Wikdrose, but she failed. Expect the same next time. Albertans- like all Candians- like the middle ground and that is still solidly PC. Actually again not so much pro-PC but....

-Smith of Wildrose remains a redneck horror

-Sherman of the Liberals is a certified clown on the way down furhter, if that is even possible

Mason of the NDP is completely irrelevant, and refuses to step aside for the much smarter Rachel Notley

Do not count the PCs out.

Whoever they pick as leader will be from Calgary, because that is the way it is in Alberta.

A darkhorse contender will be old Mr second place Jim Dinning. Jim Prentice may rear his handsome head too.

Within the party, Doug Horner will run and lose again. I doubt Gary Mar(despite being a very competent guy) can overcome the taint of his current job.

Not taking sides in this political dilemma but glad to see our form of democracy in action. Just a reminder that we do not vote for Provincial Premiers - we vote for our reps and the winning caucus chooses their leader. This means that the caucus can also put pressure on or outright dump their chosen leader. A nice message to members of the federal party caucus - no matter how much "power" the PMO appears to have you do have the power to oust him/her. Power is concentrated in the PO or PMO only because you allow them to do so. Personally, I believe that power has been more and more concentrated in the PMO since Pierre Trudeau and continues through every subsequent administration. I also believe that the current Harper regime has been allowed to continue this process until the local elected rep is inconsequential in any decision making. I am hoping that this Alison Redford event will strengthen the backbones of our elected reps in all provinces and especially in our federal government.

Albertans- like all Candians- like the middle ground and that is still solidly PC.

Albertan's have been voting right of center since the 1930's. This may be changing gradually, however I would certainly not consider this pattern typical of Canadian voting tendencies.

Do not count the PCs out.

The Wildrose has been growing in popularity, from taking just 6.8% of the vote in 2008 to 34% in 2012. Of course you can't count the PC's out, but they better figure out a way to turn the trend around...in a hurry.

I think Redford's resignation is a good first step.

Edited by Spiderfish

It looks like Dave Hancock is taking over on the interim but he says he doesn't want it for th long haul.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/dave-hancock-named-alberta-s-interim-premier-1.1737548

There was some talk on the radio this morning about former Edmonton mayor Stephen Mandel possibly stepping in. Not sure about that one.

Let me get this straight. In BC the Liberals are pretty much Conservative. In Alberta the PCs are defacto Liberals.

You Westerners are weird.

The Alberta PCs weren't anywhere near as conservative as the Joe Clark PCs. What does that tell you?

Albertan's have been voting right of center since the 1930's. This may be changing gradually, however I would certainly not consider this pattern typical of Canadian voting tendencies.

The Wildrose has been growing in popularity, from taking just 6.8% of the vote in 2008 to 34% in 2012. Of course you can't count the PC's out, but they better figure out a way to turn the trend around...in a hurry.

I think Redford's resignation is a good first step.

Wrong about the direction of Albertans voting. They have moved to the center long ago, and that messaage was pounded home sharply least election. There is simply no other interpretation. I know the ROC likes to think the place is bursting with rednecks, but in reality most people here are from soemwhere else, migration has been massive.

Wildrose got crushed last election.

There was some talk on the radio this morning about former Edmonton mayor Stephen Mandel possibly stepping in. Not sure about that one.

Mandel was an excellent mayor, and would probably be a very good Premier.

He has one small thing against: he is 67, which is old for the job.

He has one massive strike against: he is from Edmonton. Premiers in AB MUST BE FROM CALGARY or CALGARY GETS VERY VERY ANGRY. The only Premier in the last few decades not from Calagry was Ed Stelmach, and he got run out of office because.... he wasn't from Calgary.

Mandel was an excellent mayor, and would probably be a very good Premier.

He has one small thing against: he is 67, which is old for the job.

He has one massive strike against: he is from Edmonton. Premiers in AB MUST BE FROM CALGARY or CALGARY GETS VERY VERY ANGRY. The only Premier in the last few decades not from Calagry was Ed Stelmach, and he got run out of office because.... he wasn't from Calgary.

I said I wasn't sure about Mandel only because he's not currently an MLA so I do to know if they could even do that without some sort of by-election first. I agree that he would do a good job. You are right about the Calgary emphasis. I also heard Nenshi's name thrown in the mix. Maybe that would be more likely based on the Calgary vote. Edited by Accountability Now

Mandel was a complete train wreck of a mayor - the perfect example of "tax and spend". He won exactly how Stelmach did, the third choice of everyone won the second ballot. He is also as NDP as conceivably possible (even considered "left" for Edmonton which should tell you something).

Nenshi was elected because he did something no one else had done - he engaged the "young" through social media and got them out to vote. I don't know that he's done anyhing notable since being in office, but I won't fault him for his election approach. It worked so good for him.

Edmonton is the most liberal place in the province and that is how "high tax" mayors get elected. This is also how the federal NDP keep getting a spot here, and how Liberals like McLellan managed to keep seats in a sea of conservatives and Conservatives alike. But Edmonton is not Alberta, it's just one city. Putting a guy like Mandel at the helm of the party into an election would be a fiscal conservative's wet dream and the godsend of the Wildrose (the visceral hatred of the man outside the Edmonton city limits is fairly intense - see: annexation of Leduc County, etc).

I believe Nenshi would lose simply because he is Muslim and is from Toronto. Can't see that playing well outside of the two major urban centers.

I'd be thrilled with either one being appointed as the next PC leader in Alberta. Say "hello Wildrose party".

Can someone on this forum please explain this to me: How did she lose the support of her caucus?

----

It took several years for Nixon to lose the support of the Republican Congress.
Thatcher lost her caucus on a late decision.
Joe Clark lost his early.
Even Putin ensures homegrown support.

A politician, in a democracy, without caucus support is politically dead. Harper knows this. Obama knows this. Even Putin knows this.

How did Redford not know this?

Edited by August1991

Mandel was a complete train wreck of a mayor - the perfect example of "tax and spend". He won exactly how Stelmach did, the third choice of everyone won the second ballot. He is also as NDP as conceivably possible (even considered "left" for Edmonton which should tell you ".

The third choice? Maybe on his first campaign when he was up against the incumbent Bill Smith and a favorite in Robert Noce. But he won by significant margins in his next two elections with 66% and 55% of the popular vote. Perhaps your memory is self guided?

Of course I love when people try to associate party politics at the mayoral level. Keep in mind that Ralph Klein was considered 'liberal' when he was the mayor of Calgary. We all know how that turned out.

How did Redford not know this?

She clearly took the premier's office to be more than it was. She thought she had a free ticket to do what she wanted which gets right in the face of those who feel they are serving honestly. It doesn't take long to lose your confidence in a leader when you see that he or she has little to no respect for the office.

No you don't. You're from Alberta. I still think Nenshi would be a breath of fresh air after 43 odd years of conservatism.

That's the quick back pedal....so now it's conservatism versus redneck? Which is it? And again....any other stereotypes for other provinces while you're at it?