Money For Fireworks But None For Vets

From the CBC:

“The cost of six years of military commemorations surrounding Canada's 150th birthday is to come out of existing Canadian Forces operational budgets.

Almost 300 pages of documents obtained by the Liberal party under the Access to Information Act detail something called "Operation Distinction" — a campaign mandated by Prime Minister Stephen Harper that will include dozens of events through to the year 2020.

"This series of commemoration events will have significant resource implications for DND organizations and CF units," says a 10-page draft communications plan prepared by National Defence.”

The Harper government had decided to spend $30 million celebrating the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 – the events took place and no one really noticed or seemed to care. Meanwhile, services for veterans were being loudly criticized.

Now more $millions have been earmarked to “celebrate” more war victories. This money is to come from the DND budget and some of it from Veterans Affairs.

Rather than use this money to celebrate wars I think it would be better spent on those who fought those wars.

Actually I don't know of, or have even heard of a single person who cared about these ceremonies. Personally given the screwing over our vets are taking I'd rather see the money used for them. Or do you think its better to have some cheesy fireworks and shows than try to prevent the suicides of guys who gave for their country PIK?

Now more $millions have been earmarked to “celebrate” more war victories.

Rather than use this money to celebrate wars I think it would be better spent on those who fought those wars.

Putting aside the matter of national anniversaries, in what way was Confederation a war? Perhaps you're mixing Canada up with the US?

Putting aside the matter of national anniversaries, in what way was Confederation a war? Perhaps you're mixing Canada up with the US?

I believe that the celebration was designated by the term of "war" of 1812. I have no problem with celebrating what SOME Canadians feel are important historical dates - but $30 million? And taking some of that funding from the department of veteran affairs? Interesting priorities.

I believe that the celebration was designated by the term of "war" of 1812.

Yet, the part of the (apparent, since there's no link) article you quoted spoke specifically about the 150th anniversary of Confederation and then a vague, general reference to events, including "six year's worth of military commemorations". You brought up the War of 1812. There's no way to tell yet what these "military commemorations" will be or what they'll cost. The claim they'll "have significant resource implications for DND organizations and CF units" isn't clear on how "significant" and comes from the DND, which obviously (and understandably) has self-interests.

Actually I don't know of, or have even heard of a single person who cared about these ceremonies. Personally given the screwing over our vets are taking I'd rather see the money used for them. Or do you think its better to have some cheesy fireworks and shows than try to prevent the suicides of guys who gave for their country PIK?

Actually the harper gov is spending more money on vets then ever. And right now the big thing was the offices and we do not know yet if the new system will be better, can you see in the future?? And military suicides are lower then the national avergage. So again it seem certain media with a hidden agenda are at work here to fool the low info voters, like yourself.

Actually the harper gov is spending more money on vets then ever. And right now the big thing was the offices and we do not know yet if the new system will be better, can you see in the future?? And military suicides are lower then the national avergage. So again it seem certain media with a hidden agenda are at work here to fool the low info voters, like yourself.

I would hope that the Harper government is spending more money on vets - it created a whole new bunch of needy vets.

Actually the harper gov is spending more money on vets then ever.

And military suicides are lower then the national avergage.

What would you consider a 'low info' voter ? How about one who forms his opinions from a few of his friends' children as you did on the teacher thread ?

Let's see how 'low info' this voter is: please provide cites for the two points above, thank you.

"Harper Government Spending more money on vets then ever"

Lets see the proof...

"Harper Government Spending more money on vets then ever"

Lets see the proof...

Yes, let's see the cite for that. Also, the money for vets shouldn't be spent on "celebrations" but for actual help for war vets.

Yes, let's see the cite for that. Also, the money for vets shouldn't be spent on "celebrations" but for actual help for war vets.

Closest I could come was this.

http://www.delta-optimist.com/opinion/mp-s-report-harper-government-has-increased-support-for-canada-s-veterans-1.689351

Aren't medical cost increases due to an increase in the needs for medical support? If veterans weren't wounded, injured or suffer from PTSD, there wouldn't be a need for increased spending.

The actual budget of Veterans Affairs was cut by $226 million in 2012/13. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/veterans-affairs-to-cut-budget-by-226m-1.1002213

What would you consider a 'low info' voter ? How about one who forms his opinions from a few of his friends' children as you did on the teacher thread ?

Let's see how 'low info' this voter is: please provide cites for the two points above, thank you.

I read, I see, I hear, I don't get all my news from a message board and I make my own opinions even if they is no link to prove it at the time. And I am in a business where I speak to people of all shapes,sizes and colour all over the country and I am not afraid to ask questions. Would that not be "critical thinking" something that might be lacking in this "link" world. I think people are losing the idea of thinking for themselves without having to have a "link" to figure it out.And the media party knows all about the low info voter. Edited by PIK

• 2 months later...

It's still miserable optics to cut money from vet spending then spend it on celebrations.

And now on advertising ... during hockey playoffs.

And Fantino (didn't he get fired yet?) scampering away and refusing to speak to an injured soldier's wife ...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2658694

Veterans Affairs is spending an additional $4 million on advertising this year including television spots throughout the NHL playoffs but ignoring the plight of families who care for injured soldiers, says the spouse of a veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder.

An angry Jenifer Migneault chased after Julian Fantino and demanded to speak to the veterans affairs minister .

"We're nothing to you," Migneault said, throwing her arms up in frustration when Fantino whose image took a bruising in the last encounter and his staff chose not to stop and explain the government's position.

."I'm offended," an embittered Migneault said afterward."A man like that is supposed to be so proud of my husband's service? C'mon, that's a joke. We're the ones who live 24 hours a day with their heroes."

'Use that money to talk to us'

Fantino does not seem to realize that there is a big difference between dealing with the public as a chief of police than it is as a politician He appears to have a tin ear, an insensitivity to his portfolio and a complete lack of understanding of the challenges that his department must deal with. I am surprised that Harper has not unloaded him yet. Surely, the Conservatives must have someone better suited for this portfolio. Shame.

Edited by Big Guy

Fantino does not seem to realize that there is a big difference between dealing with the public as a chief of police than it is as a politician He appears to have a tin ear, an insensitivity to his portfolio and a complete lack of understanding of the challenges that his department must deal with. I am surprised that Harper has not unloaded him yet. Surely, the Conservatives musty have someone better suited for this portfolio. Shame.

The man has been nothing short of a disaster wherever he lands.

He sucked horribly as Police Chief in both London and Toronto.

He just seems one of those guys that gets hired in spite of horrible record.

The man has been nothing short of a disaster wherever he lands.

He sucked horribly as Police Chief in both London and Toronto.

He just seems one of those guys that gets hired in spite of horrible record.

I agree with fantino is a idiot.