Boeing 777 Disappears Near Vietnam

Big Guy

Apparently not. Mind you, as big as the plane is, there's not a lot of oil in it. Jet engines don't need much. Also, it's synthetic and I doubt any of it would be still on the surface after this long in the wind and wave.

Depends on what you mean by "a lot". A modern jumbo has plenty of hydraulic fluid in it, (usually) three separate systems....left, center, and right. Each system has a reservoir tank plus heat exchangers, actuators, manifolds, fluid lines, etc. for a total of hundreds of liters of hydraulic fluid that has very specific discerning attributes. However, not all of this would be released into the ocean after a hull loss.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you mean by "a lot". A modern jumbo has plenty of hydraulic fluid in it, (usually) three separate systems....left, center, and right. Each system has a reservoir tank plus heat exchangers, actuators, manifolds, fluid lines, etc. for a total of hundreds of liters of hydraulic fluid that has very specific discerning attributes. However, not all of this would be released into the ocean after a hull loss.

Each engine in a 777 has about 20 litres in it.

Do you two follow each other in these threads or what? Is this a conspiracy?

What ? I am interested in this topic at several levels...transportation disaster...system failure(s)...engineering challenge for recovery, etc. Boeing built the aircraft in Everett (been there many times), with several international parts suppliers. My nation and several others have assets deployed in this search...does yours ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Sounds like the people who disregarded that information were the only ones to make it out alive.

Yes and there is a lesson to be learned there for sure. BTW I'm sure you have heard of the Piper Alpha disaster in the North Sea back in '88 or so. when I started spending time on offshore rigs I had to sit through a bit of a course detailing what happenned there. Basically it came down to following orders got 166 people killed.

There was only one lifeboat launched in the south korea disaster. What happened to the rest?

Well I'm at the mercy of the press of course but what I hear is that lifeboat was the one holding the captain and crew. The pax for the most part did what they were told and sat while she rolled over. Some may have tried but perhaps didn't know how to launch the lifeboats. Apparently there were a number of texts that got out while people awaited further instructions, which weren't about to come. It's a terrible thing, most of them were high school kids so they say.

You have no idea how many times I need to backspace after I realize I may get suspended before responding with you.

Please try to stay on topic and all will be well. This is not the place to solve anger management issues. Canadians and many other nationals were lost on Flight MH370.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Yes, they were teenagers. I wonder if this could happen in BC waters? Our ferries carries vehicles as well. Of course this is moving into thread drift.

I suspect it could happen anywhere. People tend to follow direction in emergency situatioins. So if you're on a BC ferry and it starts to tip, at least head outside, preferably to the highside deck.