Gov. Sarah Palin's Keynote at CPAC 2014

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing about the poor, downtrodden, and sick.

31When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Matthew Chapter 25

I oppose capital punishment myself on practical grounds. But most of those who oppose capital punishment make a big deal about life being sacred, even though they enthusiastically support abortion on demand at any stage. Likewise, most of those who insist life is sacred and begins at conception seem to support the death penalty, which I find inexplicable.

As you point out, those right wing religious kooks would rail against the right to abortion on one hand and the flip the switch on the electric chair with the other. So let's leave them out of it. Personally I would be very happy if there was never another abortion carried out anywhere. But there's what you'd like, and there's reality. How many young girls, when abortion was illegal, went to some knitting needle artist in a back alley somewhere, and maybe died. Obviously you can't stop that with laws. Someone who has commited a violent crime we can lock up so as to keep the rest safe, but we shouldn't kill them. I think Canada's approach to abortion makes a lot of sense, that it is a decision to be made between a woman and her doctor and not by some Tea Partier" who only gives a s**t about votes.

Personally I would be very happy if there was never another abortion carried out anywhere.

Really ? You mean not even to save the life of the mother ? That's hard core ! Even Gov. Palin doesn't agree with that.

Someone who has commited a violent crime we can lock up so as to keep the rest safe, but we shouldn't kill them.

Not in Canada...they are released in no time at all...that's why it is called "hug-a-thug" in "the provinces".

I think Canada's approach to abortion makes a lot of sense, that it is a decision to be made between a woman and her doctor and not by some Tea Partier" who only gives a s**t about votes.

Actually, the decision is often made by a lack of abortion facilities or doctors in Canada. So the "young girls" (and older ones too) just travel to the USA for their abortions. There is no Gov. Palin or Tea Party in Canada, so why does that happen ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Really ? You mean not even to save the life of the mother ? That's hard core ! Even Gov. Palin doesn't agree with that.

Not in Canada...they are released in no time at all...that's why it is called "hug-a-thug" in "the provinces".

Actually, the decision is often made by a lack of abortion facilities or doctors in Canada. So the "young girls" (and older ones too) just travel to the USA for their abortions. There is no Gov. Palin or Tea Party in Canada, so why does that happen ?

It doesn't happen. There is no law against abortion in Canada. Hasn't been for over 25 years.

What doesn't happen is girls having to go to the US for an abortion. Pay attention, listen carefully, I don't want to have to tell you this again: there is no law against abortion in Canada. Not since the SCC took it completely out of the Criminal Code in 1988. Why then would feel the need to go to the uS for an abortion? And thank God we have no Palin or tea party up here or we would still be fighting that stupid issue. Mind you, Ted Cruz making a complete and utter ass of himself with the Dr. Seuss reading was entertaining, well as long as your not paying his wages.

What doesn't happen is girls having to go to the US for an abortion. Pay attention, listen carefully, I don't want to have to tell you this again:

That's patently false....several provinces lack the facilities and doctors to provide abortion services, so they get sent to the USA. Try to get educated about this. Gov. Palin would like this to stop.

Mind you, Ted Cruz making a complete and utter ass of himself with the Dr. Seuss reading was entertaining,

Senator Ted Cruz is Canadian.

That's patently false....several provinces lack the facilities and doctors to provide abortion services, so they get sent to the USA. Try to get educated about this. Gov. Palin would like this to stop.

It used to be true that many Canadian women went south for abortions but the number decreased steadlly and Stats Can stopped recording the number in 2004. The last year they have records for was 2003 when 149 Canadian women went to the US for abortions.

Many rural Canadian women lack access to timely abortion services, abortifactants, and other support systems. The net effect can be just as restrictive as anything promoted by Gov. Palin.

People who live in rural areas have limited access to a lot of things. I can't help but wonder what the situation would be like in Wasilla if it wasn't a one hour drive from Anchorage.

BTW, private abortion clinics are quite legal in Canada.

The abortion on demand types are on the wrong side of history. The vast majority of the public recognize the brutality of an abortion after a certain point of development. It's best you types learn this, and learn to accept what the future holds.

The abortion on demand types are on the wrong side of history. The vast majority of the public recognize the brutality of an abortion after a certain point of development. It's best you types learn this, and learn to accept what the future holds.

You have a cite to support your 'vast majority of the public' comment?

People who live in rural areas have limited access to a lot of things. I can't help but wonder what the situation would be like in Wasilla if it wasn't a one hour drive from Anchorage.

BTW, private abortion clinics are quite legal in Canada.

Are these private clinics included in provincial insurance plans ? Some provinces still send abortion patients to the U.S.

Are these private clinics included in provincial insurance plans ? Some provinces still send abortion patients to the U.S.

PEI and NWT have no access and have to send patients elsewhere, possibly some to the US, I don't know. New Brunswick does not fund private clinics so maybe some go to the US by choice, Quebec partially funds private clinics. Every other province and the Yukon fully fund private clinics.

If there are not many private clinics one can only assume there is a lack of demand for them.

PEI and NWT have no access and have to send patients elsewhere, possibly some to the US, I don't know. New Brunswick does not fund private clinics so maybe some go to the US by choice, Quebec partially funds private clinics. Every other province and the Yukon fully fund private clinics.

If there are not many private clinics one can only assume there is a lack of demand for them.

That's true and fair, and my only reason for belabouring the point is to compare this practical reality to the less impactful rhetoric of someone like Gov. Palin, despite her strident and religiously driven views. As member Shady astutely commented, limits on late term abortions are now a political reality in the USA, despite hard core abortion rights advocates. Abortions are sharply down...for several reasons.

Since when do you speak for the vast majority? And when does it become brutal in your opinion. 90% of abortions in Canada are performed in the first trimester. Most of the rest are due to concerns for the mothers health. And you can also tell the future?

That's true and fair, and my only reason for belabouring the point is to compare this practical reality to the less impactful rhetoric of someone like Gov. Palin, despite her strident and religiously driven views. As member Shady astutely commented, limits on late term abortions are now a political reality in the USA, despite hard core abortion rights advocates. Abortions are sharply down...for several reasons.

It's such a difficult subject that will never have a concensus so the question is, how should the law treat it. In Canada the courts have decided that they will not. Abortions are way down in Canada as well, just over half the number performed in 2010 compared to yearly rates in the late nineties. To me, that indicates our courts were correct to stay out of it.

Edited by Wilber