Let's Try this Again-U.N. is Wasting Our Money & Doing What?

jbg

The U.N. is wasting member nation dues payments and financial support. The concept is not hard to understand.

whether that's accurate, you've not answered the question. You provided a specific level of percentage payment support the U.S. makes. What, as you worded it, "logical connection" are you attempting to make by quoting the actual contribution figure a country makes... any country makes. The question is not hard to understand.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the logical connection is wasting money in the general case, and wasting money to the tune of over 1/5th of the UN's budget from the United States. I never quoted the actual amount of any member nation's contribution. I leave this as an exercise for those who want more details about the actual amount of wasted contributions.

I say again, with respect to this topic (United Nations), that Canada's epic Kyoto FAIL demonstrated the shortcomings of such an international organization. The reason(s) for Canada's Kyoto FAIL are secondary to this point and off topic.

no. it shows harper's failure in doing the right thing. the righteous thing. turning your back on the protection of the planet we will be passing onto our children and their children, something the rest of the world, at least talks about wanting to do, only shows that you will go down in history, as the shitty guy who represented the energy companies who want to milk the planet as long as possible, even though we all know the consequences.

harper's track record with the united nations is a failure that he should be blamed for, as majority of canadians do not agree with pretty much all his stances at the un. this also goes for harper's failure to recognize palestinians' bid for statehood. a blatantly disgusting stance which cements harper a failure to represent what canada has grown into being known for.

his legacy will not be as bad as bush's, but he will always be known for as the slimy guy who represented the bad guys and not good. at least to majority of canadians.

Obviously the logical connection is wasting money in the general case, and wasting money to the tune of over 1/5th of the UN's budget from the United States.

so what? The U.S. accepts that payment contribution figure... or at least it does when it has actually paid it. Is the U.S. caught up yet?

I never quoted the actual amount of any member nation's contribution. I leave this as an exercise for those who want more details about the actual amount of wasted contributions.

don't be cute. You quoted it as a percentage figure.

...his legacy will not be as bad as bush's, but he will always be known for as the slimy guy who represented the bad guys and not good. at least to majority of canadians.

But Canadians also voted for the Liberals who actually caused Canada's Kyoto FAIL (missed targets). The UN doesn't really care about domestic political squabbling in Canada.

so what? The U.S. accepts that payment contribution figure... or at least it does when it has actually paid it. Is the U.S. caught up yet?

don't be cute. You quoted it as a percentage figure.

I hope not...more wasted money for the UN. I think VP Biden may have written a personal check.

I am always cute, but never cited actual dollar figures.

But Canadians also voted for the Liberals who actually caused Canada's Kyoto FAIL (missed targets).

wheee! Now you're back trolling again! Care to explain why?

you absolutely know this to be a lie. You're lying again. You tried this same BS multiple times in the past... and you did so simply to provoke. Again, you've had the full detailed plans/timeline/accomplishments/budgets/money spent laid out for you. A change of government from Liberal to Conservative doesn't allow you (or anyone) to presume to assign anything to do with commitment targets to the Liberal party... not when one of the first actions by Harper Conservatives was to turn their back on Kyoto and the commitments made in favour of their own described "made in Canada" solution.

I am always cute, but never cited actual dollar figures.

so - you can't seem to find time to actually answer why you thought it pertinent to mention the percentage contribution figure. And I didn't say you did cire the actual dollar figure... that's your inference, one that can't be drawn from my wording.

Per our moderators direction, responding to personal attacks is now verboten.

We can stop forum vandalism and personal attacks by ignoring same.

again, you're not being attacked. Referencing your own acknowledgement that you troll is not an attack. How could it be?

you're worried about forum vandalism? Why did you just purposely throw down the same lie you've been called out on in the past? Forum vandalism?

But Canadians also voted for the Liberals who actually caused Canada's Kyoto FAIL (missed targets). The UN doesn't really care about domestic political squabbling in Canada.

you keep repeating this, despite being proven wrong a number of times. like the black knight in monty python who refused to acknowledge his state.

Edited by bud

you keep repeating this, despite being proven wrong a number of times. like the black knight in monty python who refused to acknowledge his state.

I shall keep repeating too, because it is true...just ask former PM Chretien. It is folly to claim that only PM Harper caused Canada's Kyoto FAIL in the eyes of the UN when the treaty was negotiated back in 1997 and ratified in 2002.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I shall keep repeating too, because it is true...just ask former PM Chretien. It is folly to claim that only PM Harper caused Canada's Kyoto FAIL in the eyes of the UN when the treaty was negotiated back in 1997 and ratified in 2002.

again, it's not true, no matter how many times you say it. And you've been shown why it's not true.

but hey now, you speak of a folly to claim that only one government has accountability. But that is exactly what you are doing. Why your double standard? :lol:

The current UN budget has been trimmed to $5.5 billion, down a modest 1%. That doesn't include about $7 billion for "peacekeeping". U.S. taxpayers contribute more than any other nation, even though much of it is wasted.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/27/us-un-budget-idUSBRE9BQ0JX20131227

The current UN budget has been trimmed to $5.5 billion, down a modest 1%. That doesn't include about $7 billion for "peacekeeping". U.S. taxpayers contribute more than any other nation, even though much of it is wasted.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/27/us-un-budget-idUSBRE9BQ0JX20131227

ah c'mon, that's peanuts! You said as much in your other thread derail when I mentioned the cost of Victoria's raw sewage treatment @$1 billion. You said that was peanuts! So... the figure I read is that the U.S. (this year) contributes $795 Million to the UN regular budget. Why that's significantly less than the figure you labeled as peanuts! What are you so worried/concerned about... the U.S. contribution is less than... significantly less than... your measure of peanuts! :lol:

as a claimed American why do you care so much about attaching "FAIL" to a Canadian political party, any party... any single party, like the Liberal party as you have done? You know, what you yourself called a folly... assigning fault/fail to any single government. Why are you perpetuating your claimed folly?

and equally, for the brazillion times that you've negatively labeled/criticized the Kyoto Protocol, if it was/is so bad, isn't failing at it, given your view on it, a... good thing? And if that's the case, other than to service your perpetual troll need, why do you care/bother to distinguish one government over another?

and again, why do you so focus on what you label the "Canadian Kyoto FAIL", while you completely and totally ignore the "American Kyoto FAIL"? What's the deal here, hey?

why have you shape-shifted to emphasize Canada now... your prior post purposely made a distinction to highlight "long before Harper came along". Of course, you and I know exactly why you made the initial comment and why you shifted, right? Yes, that purposeful fail is one that lies directly with Harper Conservatives. They are the party that ignored the Kyoto plan/commitments in favour of what they called "their home grown in Canada" plan. They are the party that pulled out of Kyoto to simply avoid paying a penalty for failing to meet commitments. Yes, that is exactly where the Canadian Kyoto fail rests - with Harper Conservatives.

Kyoto or no Kyoto no government is going to deliberately reduce its own peoples' standard of living over a hypothesis.

but hey now... have you conveniently forgotten about the "U.S. Kyoto FAIL"? Why are you so fixated on attempting to qualify Canada's role/results, and yet you so purposely ignore the "U.S. Kyoto FAIL"? Why is that?

We never ratified.

Another thread on global warming. yaaaaaaaaayyyyy.... <_<

Actually the thread is more on the lack of utility of the U.N. While its peacekeepers are raping children in Africa its more august functionaries are discussing...global warming.

What youre doing is like blaming the phone when two people talking on it cant come to an agreement on what they should do.

I like that analogy. Another analogy for jbg's thinking is if he thought that the US 2nd Amendment was flawed and that lobby groups should have far less influence on US government and therefore the entire Union should be dismantled and the US constitution ripped up. What is needed is UN reform, not its destruction.

Also, failure with Rwanda was a failure of states not wishing to intervene as much as it was a failure of the UN. Despite the Jewish holocaust of WWII, the UN was also not initially designed to respond well to internal conflicts. Now the UN has the ""responsibility to protect" norms, but we're still talking about states acting in their own interests, and the UN can't force states to intervene in humanitarian crises if they vote not to.