What improvements would you like to see in this discussion forum?

Greg

13 hours ago, Contrarian said:

What do you mean by what happened? The old Jack happened, to give you some comfort, a lot of people got those types of messages, across the political spectrum. The whiskey does not care if one is a liberal or a conservative. Anyhow, better times now, I plan to stay away from the poison for some months now, as the last events were not positive. 

• Also, these volunteers might come for moderation, which is good to have STOP signs, for folks like me.

Thank you for the explanation.

I am sorry for your plight.  I hope you stay away for much longer than a few months. I had several subordinates with e same infliction, it is not an individual problem, support from friends and family is critical. I hope you get that.

As for moderation, all I ask is that the admins or moderators enforce their own rules or, officially do away with the rules and let the belligerence run rampant (as it seems to be anyway).

• Like 1

Improvements?? 

More SNOWFLAKES, less rightwing agitators. More advertising and promoting this forum and more female members. 

Make it a rule you can't participate here unless you have a sense of humour (correct spelling). 

On 6/25/2023 at 8:48 AM, ExFlyer said:

As for moderation, all I ask is that the admins or moderators enforce their own rules or, officially do away with the rules and let the belligerence run rampant (as it seems to be anyway).

EGADS, NO! There has to be SOME civility. You want this forum to be another American Congress??

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SNOWFLAKE said:

Improvements?? 

More SNOWFLAKES, less rightwing agitators. More advertising and promoting this forum and more female members. 

Make it a rule you can't participate here unless you have a sense of humour (correct spelling). 

EGADS, NO! There has to be SOME civility. You want this forum to be another American Congress??

Which part.... enforcing the rules or....doing away with them entirely? LOL

On 6/19/2023 at 12:53 PM, Greg said:

@OftenWrong... I just realized, can't you just use the "Follow" feature to follow those topics/members that you want to enjoy?

image.png

In the above screenshot, I followed two topics, and then I visited the Activity section, selected My Activity Streams, and selected Content I Follow.

You can then use the dropdowns to filter the results even more...

Would this not accomplish what you want?

You can even save the newly created activity stream, and make it your default view.

That would require me to mark every thread as "follow", then unmark the ones that are no good. It's maybe only one in ten threads that are bad enough to warrant being ignored, but those can sometimes be most popular among the low brow types. They may engage in p*ssing wars making those threads rise to the top of the Unread list over and over.

For example there might be one thread about "Smokey plums" or some such nonsense that I would like to simply hide from view. The method you are suggesting is a lot of work.

As a conservative, I'd like to power to block the material I don't want to see, not the other way around.

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

As a conservative, I'd like to power to block the material I don't want to see, not the other way around.

But wouldn't you want to be better informed? Can't be if you block material you don't "want" to see. 

12 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Which part.... enforcing the rules or....doing away with them entirely? LOL

I am a big supporter of enforced rules. Why? Those sites that don't enforce any rules turn into garbage bins. Partisan playgrounds. Where stupid reigns. I prefer sites that encourage wise, thoughtful, educated, sagacious, intuitive Snowflakes. 

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Your liberalism is on full display here.

Ah, and THAT is supposed to be what? An insult? JAYSUS. I am a proud leftist Canadian Snowflake. I don't watch Fox or listen to or read Rightwing media (but don't block them either). I read sites that have a high credibility rating, that use scientific analysis, or that argue both sides of a question. I actually listen to the radio, BBC, NPR, POTUS. 

Believing in wild conspiracy theories isn't my thing. They are silly. And I often wonder about the mental acuity of those who do believe in them. Just sayin'

1 minute ago, SNOWFLAKE said:

Ah, and THAT is supposed to be what? An insult? JAYSUS. I am a proud leftist Canadian Snowflake. I don't watch Fox or listen to or read Rightwing media (but don't block them either). I read sites that have a high credibility rating, that use scientific analysis, or that argue both sides of a question. I actually listen to the radio, BBC, NPR, POTUS. 

Believing in wild conspiracy theories isn't my thing. They are silly. And I often wonder about the mental acuity of those who do believe in them. Just sayin'

Yes, you seem like a wonderful, well-rounded individual whose contributions are both rivetting and compelling.

One feature I would love to see on here is where we can post "polls."

Simply ask questions and give options. Here is an example of what I am thinking about:

Are Snowflakes fun?

1. Yes, they are cute and fluffy.

2. No, they are flakey.

3. Only conservative Snowflakes are fun, liberal ones are annoying.

4. Opposite of #3

5. They are all wet

Could do it this way I suppose, but there is no option for actually clicking on each option and registering your vote. Sighs. 

1 hour ago, SNOWFLAKE said:

I am a big supporter of enforced rules. Why? Those sites that don't enforce any rules turn into garbage bins. Partisan playgrounds. Where stupid reigns. I prefer sites that encourage wise, thoughtful, educated, sagacious, intuitive Snowflakes. 

That was all I suggested, enforce the rules.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Your liberalism is on full display here.

So, just because one wishes the rules be enforced it is liberalism? Liberals are the only ones that want laws to be obeyed?

Just now, ExFlyer said:

That was all I suggested, enforce the rules.

So, just because one wishes the rules be enforced it is liberalism? Liberals are the only ones that want laws to be obeyed?

Not sure how you got that from what I wrote. The snowflake's liberalism is in their desire to see everything. In contrast with my conservative desire to carefully choose what I want to see and not see.

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Not sure how you got that from what I wrote. The snowflake's liberalism is in their desire to see everything. In contrast with my conservative desire to carefully choose what I want to see and not see.

Snow said "But wouldn't you want to be better informed? Can't be if you block material you don't "want" to see.  "

You said "Your liberalism is on full display here. "

We were talking about enforcing the rules.

What was I supposed to take form your comment?

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Snow said "But wouldn't you want to be better informed? Can't be if you block material you don't "want" to see.  "

You said "Your liberalism is on full display here. "

We were talking about enforcing the rules.

What was I supposed to take form your comment?

I was talking to Greg about my idea of providing a feature that lets me hide threads I don't want to see, to which the poster replied. His posts to you and I were probably merged, but I only responded to the part directed to me. Should be clear enough.

Forget enforcing the rules, that is not an option on the table at the moment as you see.

So like I said, if there's no moderator, I would like the ability to choose and control my own content. Self moderation. Not by blocking posters, but blocking threads. That way the loons can have their fun and I can enjoy my content as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

I was talking to Greg about my idea of providing a feature that lets me hide threads I don't want to see, to which the poster replied. His posts to you and I were probably merged, but I only responded to the part directed to me. Should be clear enough.

Forget enforcing the rules, that is not an option on the table at the moment as you see.

So like I said, if there's no moderator, I would like the ability to choose and control my own content. Self moderation. Not by blocking posters, but blocking threads. That way the loons can have their fun and I can enjoy my content as well.

Self flagellation is always an option and available to you as you see fit. :)

You do as you see fit for you and you have the wherewithal do carry it out..

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

I agree. I also plug my ears when a fire truck goes roaring by.

You are still free to listen with great interest, and learn.   ;)

58 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

55 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I agree. I also plug my ears when a fire truck goes roaring by.

You are still free to listen with great interest, and learn.   ;)

Boys boys boys  ?