What improvements would you like to see in this discussion forum?

Greg

Then improve the quality here, instead of calling other members "idiot" or "old white men" immediately after joining the forum. There is only one chance to make a great first impression.

I believe I only called you the derogatory name and I didn't say "old white men". Read back to the threads. And you certainly haven't made a great first impression. And you only had one chance.

betsy if you came here to harass particular posters, take it to messages (that they can choose to delete).

You are out of line.

I think you either didn't get how the heck I ended up showing what real trolls look like....or you're giving us yourself as a classic example of the biased attitude by certain members here.

How convenient for you to ignore the fact that I was merely responding to Cybercoma's criticism on this thread. If there is anyone to blame for being publicly exposed not only as a troll, but as a FLAMER as well....that wouldn't be me.

He asked to be shown where he berated me - I simply showed him instead of his real serious offenses - which is very much on topic since you're all pointing your fingers at certain members on this board as trolls, and yet you abet, support....and come to the rescue of one of your "cronies."

You only ended up supporting my contention - that this is the biggest problem of this forum! It is being controlled by a certain group of members who want to dictate what we can post or not. This board is no longer a real forum.

The new members who stoutly join the finger-pointing and hurling personal attacks without any reservations at all, looks more likely to have been corrupted already.....it's the mob-mentality at work here.

Since new members obviously want to be accepted on this board, I couldn't blame newbies for wanting to show allegiance to the so-called "99%" - rightly or wrongly - it wouldn't be surprising to see some may even resort to boot-licking.

It's the pack mentality.

This is just adding to the existing problem.

Any new member who joins the dictating committee is one additional would-be troll who'll intimidate others.

Edited by betsy

Never mind. I'll show you something even better. Re-visit my last topic.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/23105-nasas-tetrad-and-the-coming-four-blood-moons/

The first 2 direct personal insults came from you! Posts #10 and #12.

It was troll-party after that!

I asked folks in that thread to do exactly what I said in this thread. That's not a personal insult.

The second post was me voicing my genuine concern for your well-being. Also not an insult.

I believe my second post is also supported by your perpetual victim complex demonstrated even in this thread. I really do think you need help to overcome this problem.

Edited by cybercoma

Then improve the quality here, instead of calling other members "idiot" or "old white men" immediately after joining the forum.

Oh snap! Who has been calling people OWM? That's hate speech! Shameful to be targeting a specific group like that, especially after all the strife whitey has experienced over the years. I know because some of my best friends are old and white. In fact, one day I too will be part of that targeted group, so I feel entitled to speak on their behalf.

Some bitter people feel that the power, wealth and privilege OWM possess make them legitimate targets for rage. But I ask you, are we not all human beings? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us (slowly with martinis and fatty food) do we not die (eventually of prostate cancer)? If we send the poor off to fight our battles, do they not bleed? And if you wrong us by trying to level the playing field, shall we not revenge?

Now let's get back to the normal state of affairs. Resume cutting our grass, cleaning our houses and plundering the earth for our short term benefit. We know our spot on top has to come to an end one day, but for now. Wohooo!

Edited by Mighty AC

Betsy, why are you still up to these old tricks?

First you claim--repeatedly--that "Trolling" is completely subjective, so that you hold no opinion on whether a poster is engaging in "trolling behavior at all....

.......and then you claim--repeatedly--that you are consistently being "trolled" by all these rotten "trolls" who are aiming to "control" the tenor of discussion here....

Same old, same old!

I've actually left MLW twice. This has been the longest interval. However, I heard on another board about this thread and so for the past week I have checked it out from time to time. I invested a number of years and several thousand posts. It would be nice if the board improved. I used to enjoy it a lot and it would be good to come back.

Betsy and I are at opposite poles about religion. Still, I think she has made some valid points that many of you refuse to acknowledge. I think too many MLW members have become so righteous in their own POV that they think that anyone who disagrees must either be a troll or incredibly stupid!

Forget this fixation on a sufficiently precise definition of a troll! The solution to attracting more and better members is not to have more exactly specified rules!

The real problem is simple. Too many members are simply rude! Too many posts are phrased lacking even common courtesy!

I know from direct experience that this is true. I learned many things about myself that I never knew. I was never the classic liberal I had always thought. Rather, I was a rightwing evangelical conservative (the evangelical part was hard to understand, me being a devout agnostic and all!). I was called a racist but that was retracted in favour of my arguments inevitably led to being racist. This was from the facilitator!

When a post of mine was blown off as "simply blowing sunshine out your ass!" for the second time I had had enough. I reported it and then found that I WAS SUSPENDED TOO!

It was time again to just move on. Life is too short.

Instead of more rules, why not focus on people being polite? All the other problems would evaporate!

Take a tip from Bill & Ted!

"Be excellent to each other!"

Goodbye again, MLW! Good luck!

Wild Bill

Concerning the forum,i wanted to post a new topic but due to being a new member at this website before i can post i have to reply to a post.Okay,i then went to a post which interested me,there i was informed not allowed to reply.This website discourages new members-it should be doing the reverse!.

Edited by jetfast

• Forum Admin

Concerning the forum,i wanted to post a new topic but due to being a new member at this website before i can post i have to reply to a post.Okay,i then went to a post which interested me,there i was informed not allowed to reply.This website discourages new members-it should be doing the reverse!.

Not sure which thread you are referring to in which you couldn't reply. Unless the thread was locked, in which case NO ONE can post, New Members can post replies anywhere.

Thanks WB, do come back from time to time if you feel like it though....

Well, thanks for the kind invite Michael. I will check things out every few months or so.

However, if I find it is still the same it will be hard to make the effort again and again.

If I want abuse I will pay for it! :wub:

Wild Bill

To the OP, yes, I think an upgrade to the forum software will make this site more appealing. I'm new here and find the software is kinda primitive. Improve software and this place will pick up a bit, hopefully. thank you

I don't know what bells and whistles would do. It's more quality posters that are needed.

I heard lots of people have been leaving. Wow that's a shame. It might shut this forum down.

The leaving has little to do with technology. It has more to do with the rude conduct of some posters and the fickle interventions or lack thereof in response.

My statement needs to be tempered by the fact that Greg and Charles are volunteers and their efforts are generally beneficial if largely unthanked and unrewarded.

Edited by jbg

What happened to Jaycee and Waldo!!

I am assuming both have lives and gainful work outside MLW. As for Waldo I assume as well that this winter's ferocity has taken some of the kick out of his style.