What improvements would you like to see in this discussion forum?

Greg

Thumbs up/thumbs down voting is a bad idea because people vote based on whether they agree/disagree - not whether the posters makes a good argument. It takes away from the discussion.

Amazon's system of allowing people to vote for posts that they consider helpful (i.e. no thumbs down option) may be worth considering.

How about a point score based on how nasty (sarcastic, mocking, insulting) you feel the post was? :ph34r:

Edited by Argus

How about a point score based on how nasty (sarcastic, mocking, insulting) you feel the post was? :ph34r:

This could be a great idea! It may help us self-moderate the forums by flagging trouble posts which aren't good for debate, or even trolling. It would be extra incentive for all of us to post respectfully, and show us when we aren't so we can correct our own behaviour. The only worry is some people could just flag based on people they dislike. We could at least try it out and mods could post reminders not to abuse the system.

Yes, my first thought upon reading Argus' post is that this would only underline the partisanship, as posters would mark relatively benign posts as nasty or offensive based only on their distaste for the opinion....or for the poster him- or herself.

But on reflection, this would easy to notice, because the same old posters would be dissing the same old "enemies" over and over, while most other posters would not be playing that game.

Yes, my first thought upon reading Argus' post is that this would only underline the partisanship, as posters would mark relatively benign posts as nasty or offensive based only on their distaste for the opinion....or for the poster him- or herself.

But on reflection, this would easy to notice, because the same old posters would be dissing the same old "enemies" over and over, while most other posters would not be playing that game.

No, it's a stupid and pointless idea.

A personal blog space for each member would be cool.

YES!!! :D

And just to emphasize ... less focus on "politics" in forum names, and more on 'issues'.

Political Party partisanship, competition, dogma should be deemphasized in favour of issues and ideas and creative collaboration for solutions. We're all Canadians and political parties don't tell us what to think and do: It's our responsibility to collaborate and tell them what we want them to do for us ... with our money. :)

There are way too many political kids-in-short-pants paid to troll forums like this to impose party dogma, imo.

Edited by jacee

The like/dislike is a horrible idea. Might work for other things like Youtube, but not in such a small community like this.

Ya, I don't like 'likes' either ... but some posts are awesome and some way of recognizing them would help raise the quality of posts by providing good models. Here's a thought: Some kind of connection to a person's blog or profile to identify the post (leave a link?) and comment there about great posts? Maybe an annual or semiannual 'vote' on top ten posts ? (I don't like single-winner competition. Too arbitrary.)

And maybe a few of the worst trollish posts too? Again, as 'models' of what not to do.

Edited by jacee

I think there should be a VIP membership option with extra perks. I'd pay $10 or $20 for a year depending on what it was.

Extra perks? Like being able to lock your posts so people don't mock them? The ability to delete posts that disagree with you (which would basically be all of them)?

Unh ... NO.

Let's keep it totally equality/democratic.

A member is a member is a member.

Easy for you to say. You don't have to pay a penny for the hosting and maintenance of this site. And it terms of perks, I'm just talking about maybe bigger avatars, and extra line in a signature, stuff like that. So chill out. You and your leftwing cohort.

Had a thought (dangerous things, thoughts).

Perhaps some entertainment might be in order. I know there's a longstanding thread where people post videos of particular songs they like by new artists. I wonder if we could have a topic or two which might be called, for want of a better name Recommended. You know how in book stores certain books have a 'recommended by staff' label. I know I'm constantly coming across pictures, cartoons, and brief videos on the internet which I send to friends because they're stunning, amusing, or whatever. Why not a dedicated topic just for those, and discussions of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUKMUZ4tlJg

Guest Derek L
The merging of repetitive “hot” topics into omnibus threads, perhaps even stuck at the top of each given forum section…..i.e. the Ultra I hate religion/Israel/Quebec/Obama/Climate Change/Harper/Senate Scandal/F-35/Pipelines threads…..

In my view, it might help keep other subject threads on topic, well also making the moderators job a tad more easier “policing” the more heated subjects in one given area. Also, it might reduce “clutter” and redundant threads……By placing said subjects as a “sticky”, new members might be able to go over previous covered ground, prior to joining in.

Easy for you to say. You don't have to pay a penny for the hosting and maintenance of this site. And it terms of perks, I'm just talking about maybe bigger avatars, and extra line in a signature, stuff like that. So chill out. You and your leftwing cohort.

Sorry Shady. I was a bit harsh.

Still not interested in the concept though.

And you could lay off my "cohort" too. ;)

Ya, I don't like 'likes' either ... but some posts are awesome and some way of recognizing them would help raise the quality of posts by providing good models. Here's a thought: Some kind of connection to a person's blog or profile to identify the post (leave a link?) and comment there about great posts? Maybe an annual or semiannual 'vote' on top ten posts ? (I don't like single-winner competition. Too arbitrary.)

good idea. perhaps having the ability to "favourite" posts.