Seven things I've learned from FOX news.

Argus

Guest Derek L

No, the rest of them.

I stopped watching CNN (aside from debates) once Larry King retired and Lou Dobbs left for FOX......MSNBC I hardly ever tune into aside from debate coverage and the odd time Rachel Maddow (Though I disagree with most of her opinions, she's the only talent they got) or Lock-Up....The Networks I haven't watched probably since CNN was born.........As to Canadian tv-news media, I don't watch CTV aside from catching the odd Question Period on Sundays, and I'll maybe catch the local headlines from Global morning and evening news......Sun News I've only watched a handful of times and thought it a joke, but do read their print media from time to time.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

Neither was I, but that older format was very popular at one time, pitting "right" vs. "left". FNC owned the cable news ratings by 2002 partially because of this format. CNN had a similar show in the earlier Crossfire. On air conflict was not only tolerated, but encouraged by the producers.

I use to watch Crossfire........Of course Tucker Carlson and James Carville appear on FOX now....

I use to watch Crossfire........Of course Tucker Carlson and James Carville appear on FOX now....

Lots of former CNN talent ended up at FNC over the years. I always liked Carville's style regardless of his views. Women also found greater success at Fox compared to the broadcast networks, and today it is the only major U.S. cable news channel with two female program hosts.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Guest Derek L

Lots of former CNN talent ended up at FNC over the years. I always liked Carville's style regardless of his views. Women also found greater success at Fox compared to the broadcast networks, and today it is the only major U.S. cable news channel with two female program hosts.

Same here.........And I like Juan Williams and was glad FOX picked him up after NPR binned him for exercising his Freedom of Speech......

Yes...it is strange how some Canadians present themselves here as experts on Fox News Channel. They would have to purchase the service to have such an in depth understanding. I guess Americans are experts concerning the goverment sponsored and controlled CBC as well ! :lol:

There is no need to have an indepth understanding to a news channell that has no depth. I get it as part of my cable package, believe me I pay no extra for that junk. But I did watch it some mornings because it was what the troops on the base I was working out of seemed to like. The last one I recall was a discussion following two speeches that had been delivered by first Obama, and then Cheney on Gitmo. Obama telling of the need to shut down such an illegal operation. Anyway, one of the Fox commentators who was rah rahing for Cheney was, guess who, Cheneys daughter. Now even dolts who listen to Fox for anything other than head shaking laughter should understand the concept of "conflict of interest"

Thanks...this is interesting, and unless I am misunderstanding, CBC News Network is really an amalgam of rolling news, some programming, and shared content with "parent" CBC (e.g. The National), but it cannot get direct government funding. Some cable providers do not even offer it.

This is less like CNN/Headline News or Fox News Channel, which are ubiquitous in the U.S. from coast to coast in the rolling 30 minute format by day with programming at night.

Oh, what happenned to your endless comments about CBC being "government funded and government controlled" Now you say they can't get gov funding. You alos can't seem to understand the concept that Canadian health insurance isn't free, but it's socialized. I think you may have some learning disabilities. See if that is covered with your for profit boys down there.

Oh, what happenned to your endless comments about CBC being "government funded and government controlled" Now you say they can't get gov funding. You alos can't seem to understand the concept that Canadian health insurance isn't free, but it's socialized. I think you may have some learning disabilities. See if that is covered with your for profit boys down there.

You do not understand the difference between CBC and CBC News Network on cable. Health insurance is off topic.

It is funded by cable subscriber fees and commercial advertising. Unlike the CBC's main television network, the channel cannot directly receive operational funds from the corporation's public funding allotment — although it does benefit from synergies with other CBC services, such as the ability to share reporters and programs with the main

Guest Derek L

You do not understand the difference between CBC and CBC News Network on cable. Health insurance is off topic.

I find it ironic that many dump upon FOX for much the same reasons as many here dump upon the CBC News Network, in particular CBC’s Power & Politics and Lang & O’Leary Exchange, for like FOX, the CBC reports a given story with the facts as known to them and then offers a format that allows debate & discussion from usually several different perspectives…….Ultimately allowing the viewer to decide “who’s right”……..
If someone feels they’re being “brainwashed” by a given media outlet, frankly they are then already beyond hope, fore they then clearly have one intellectual wheel stuck in the sand.

If someone feels they’re being “brainwashed” by a given media outlet, frankly they are then already beyond hope, fore they then clearly have one intellectual wheel stuck in the sand.

Agreed...I have never understood this line of reasoning, as if watching the "correct" media outlet would lead to major differences and enlightenment. How dare Fox News Channel provide a platform for "right wing" views and dominate cable news ratings in the process.

I also feel that this thread is troll-ish but apparently not enough to raise flags...

I would really really appreciate if the OP sarcasm was added to with some solid points, in the same post. Then it's like desert - but with vegetables...

I don't like vegetables, as a matter of fact. The original was, as you could clearly discern, a sarcastic critique of FOX news. I don't see how that is likely to be trolling, especially since, while a tad exagerated, those are my honest inferences from my viewing time on FOX.

That certain individuals have come to believe FOX is akin to the holy bible and should not be subject to criticism is beside the point.

Edited by Argus

If Argus had hijacked a thread with irrelevant jokes (or half-jokes?) about FOX news, the "trolling" allegation might have some merit.

Pretty benign as far as trolling goes--but ok.

But as it stands, I don't see how this constitutes trolling.

At any rate, the issue with trolling is not an occasional mocking or even off-topic remark...which everyone, almost without exception, engages in from time to time.

No, the problem with trolling is when it's performed continually, with consistency, especially when it is self-consciously a trolling exercise meant to antagonize posters.

Argus doesn't fit into this category.

This thread has certainly been hooked by a successful troll job and it wasn't the opening post. Instead of discussing FOX, like the OP intended, the entire thread has been derailed into discussing the definition of trolling, calling posters out on trolling, and making claims about individual posters' personal characteristics.

Edited by cybercoma

Same here.........And I like Juan Williams and was glad FOX picked him up after NPR binned him for exercising his Freedom of Speech......

I also like Joe Trippi, Howard Dean's former campaign manager. But George Will is my all time favourite. I enjoyed him on This Week on ABC when he use to constantly pwn many of the liberal guests that would be on. I'm surprised that they let him go to Fox. He's an intellectual heavy weight, as is Charles Krauthammer.

Anne Coulter, after CNN dumped her for obvious reasons, Jeff Beck, yep, Fox's shinning stars of even handed reportage. It is good for a laugh though to tune in once in awhile and catch up on the drivel. Last time I recall her coming to Canada she was booed off stage.

Wrong on all points. First, you must mean Ann Coulter. But I have no idea who Jeff Beck is. Furthermore, Coulter wasn't employed by CNN. Regardless of all that, they were never reporters. And lastly, I was at her speak at Western. She wasn't booed off the stage, it was a hugely attended event, and many people stayed afterwards to have stuff signed by her, including me. So you see, you couldn't be more completely and utterly wrong about everything you said if you tried. You're almost as ignorant of all things political in the United States as the op of this thread, who remains as clueless as they come.

Wrong on all points. First, you must mean Ann Coulter. But I have no idea who Jeff Beck is. Furthermore, Coulter wasn't employed by CNN. Regardless of all that, they were never reporters. And lastly, I was at her speak at Western. She wasn't booed off the stage, it was a hugely attended event, and many people stayed afterwards to have stuff signed by her, including me. So you see, you couldn't be more completely and utterly wrong about everything you said if you tried. You're almost as ignorant of all things political in the United States as the op of this thread, who remains as clueless as they come.

Speaking of clueless, it was in Ottaw she got booed off stage. Check it out.

Guest Derek L

Not only has the original OP been skewered as hopelessly biased, it appears to be the opinion of someone who has little viewing experience over FNC's tenure or today. Fox can laugh all the way to the bank, not really giving a rip who watches in Canada.

I agree, but I think that is commonplace among many…….prejudiced views conjured by others opinions are much easier then thinking for oneself…….

Guest Derek L

I also like Joe Trippi, Howard Dean's former campaign manager. But George Will is my all time favourite. I enjoyed him on This Week on ABC when he use to constantly pwn many of the liberal guests that would be on. I'm surprised that they let him go to Fox. He's an intellectual heavy weight, as is Charles Krauthammer.

Yeah, Will is a smart cookie, as is Krauthammer....no doubt.

I agree, but I think that is commonplace among many…….prejudiced views conjured by others opinions are much easier then thinking for oneself…….

Excuse me, but are you so incapable of, uh, thinking for yourself, that you feel everyone is gulty of that? I've watched the loonies on FOX for quite a while, watched how they deliberately slant stories, how they deliberately choose stories to reflect well on their anti-union, anti-government, pro-1% bias, watched their habit of not properly identifying biased insiders they interview and judged them accordingly as dishonest and deceitful. You think I'm incapable of making that judgement without thought?

The fact is FOX is designed to appeal to those who want unthinking, uncomplicated answers, to make them feel better than others, or that others are responsible for their misery. As for prejudiced, unlike FOX, I tend to own a conservative ideological view, and it is with that background that I hold FOX in contempt. At it's heart, FOX appeals to people who are dumb and bitter, and like their slanted news with lots of paranoia.

But the reason I really dislike FOX is it holds its viewers in contempt. Its job is to convince the unwashed, that what is in the best interests of the 1% are in their interests too. In point of fact, it's generally the exact opposite. Public health care? We don't need it! No, not if you're a multi-milionaire. Public education! A waste of money! Sure, if you can afford private schools. Welfare, unemployment, pensions? A scam! Right, cause you don't need them if you're rich.

But most FOX viewers AREN'T rich. The job of the propaganda peole at FOX is convince them all these things are in their interest anyway.

Edited by Argus

Bingo! The lack of having to do any real critical thinking by one's self, and delving into the minutiae makes these types of stereotypical, nonsensical, lazy, plagarized views easier to spread.

I tend to own a conservative ideological view,

Utter nonsense. You're a big government statist. You have absolutely no idea what conservatism is. Try reading some Edmund Burke or Alexis de Tocqueville. Heck, even just more modern thinkers like George Will and Charles Krauthammer. But that doesn't fit your lazy stereotype, so you don't and won't.