Seven things I've learned from FOX news.

Argus

Does Fox News Channel have better numbers in Canada than the on and off again CBC News Network ? Odd, but I really don't see any Canadian cable news offerings for my basic or upgraded channel tiers in the U.S. Wonder why ? ;)

Gotta pay extra to get Fox News up here, ditto with MSNBC. CNN is on basic cable.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know you could be suspended for calling people trolls? Just wondering, since you seem to take such great delight upon hearing about other people being suspended.

I'm sorry but your entire post is massive exercise in trolling. Right down to the litany of strawmen you've set up. You're a pyromaniac in a field of strawmen.

The utter ignorance of this particular poster is immense and continuous. For example, there already exists a federal health care program for the poor. It's called Medicaid. It's existed for decades. So this particular poster referencing Obamacare as for the poor is ignorant and incorrect. But the list goes on. This particular poster is either unwilling or unable to make himself aware of his ignorance of American politics and governance. My guess is that it's purposeful, for the use of his extensive trolling efforts.

Gotta pay extra to get Fox News up here, ditto with MSNBC. CNN is on basic cable.

Okay...but what is the domestic basic tier equivalent of CNN in Canada ? In two languages. Fox News Channel is basic cable in most U.S. markets, and Fox local broadcast TV station affiliates can be found in most large cities.

Okay...but what is the domestic basic tier equivalent of CNN in Canada ? In two languages. Fox News Channel is basic cable in most U.S. markets, and Fox local broadcast TV station affiliates can be found in most large cities.

CBC News Network and Sun News come to mind. CTV also has a News Channel.

In Toronto they have a channel called CP24 that caters to local news. Has traffic cameras on screen at all times, most people watch that. It's owned by CTV so CTVs news channels are redundant.

From what I've heard CBC kills Sun but Sun isn't available Nationally, soon will though. Sun is mostly opinion though, so it's not something I'd tune into when I want just the headlines. Local stuff is better.

CBC News Network and Sun News come to mind. CTV also has a News Channel.

Thanks...this is interesting, and unless I am misunderstanding, CBC News Network is really an amalgam of rolling news, some programming, and shared content with "parent" CBC (e.g. The National), but it cannot get direct government funding. Some cable providers do not even offer it.

This is less like CNN/Headline News or Fox News Channel, which are ubiquitous in the U.S. from coast to coast in the rolling 30 minute format by day with programming at night.

Thanks...this is interesting, and unless I am misunderstanding, CBC News Network is really an amalgam of rolling news, some programming, and shared content with "parent" CBC (e.g. The National), but it cannot get direct government funding. Some cable providers do not even offer it.

This is less like CNN/Headline News or Fox News Channel, which are ubiquitous in the U.S. from coast to coast in the rolling 30 minute format by day with programming at night.

I think most Newschannels seem to have the exact same format.

- Some sort of morning show regurgitating what's in the Newspapers.

- Mid-morning - Late afternoon: just a running report of whatever is going on today (most people don't watch then because they, you know, work)

- Evening to late night: A succession of opinions and hard news shows.

- Overnight: repeats unless there's big news that requires constant live coverage.

Rinse and Repeat.

Now CBC Newsworld shows the National likely because that's the show that does get gumint funding.

Edited by Boges

Does Fox News Channel have better numbers in Canada than the on and off again CBC News Network ? Odd, but I really don't see any Canadian cable news offerings for my basic or upgraded channel tiers in the U.S. Wonder why ? ;)

They tend to use words of more than one syllable, which confuses Americans.

The utter ignorance of this particular poster is immense and continuous. For example, there already exists a federal health care program for the poor. It's called Medicaid. It's existed for decades. So this particular poster referencing Obamacare as for the poor is ignorant and incorrect. But the list goes on. This particular poster is either unwilling or unable to make himself aware of his ignorance of American politics and governance. My guess is that it's purposeful, for the use of his extensive trolling efforts.

Your lickspittle devotion to whatever FOX tells you is reality continues to amuse and amaze. Yes, yes, obamacare has nothing to do with providing health care to poor people. Of course not! It's just designed to destroy America in the name of Islamism and communism!

Hey, Shady, I heard FOX say purple is new red. Better run out and change your wardrobe right away!

I'm sorry but your entire post is massive exercise in trolling. Right down to the litany of strawmen you've set up. You're a pyromaniac in a field of strawmen.

No, it's an exercise in critiquing FOX. That you've dedicated your life to their philosophy and are horrified anyone would question it has nothing to do with the point of my post.

And you can't even think up your own insults! You've got to plagiarize the ones you hear from your heroes on FOX! :lol: :lol:

Your lickspittle devotion to whatever FOX tells you is reality continues to amuse and amaze. Yes, yes, obamacare has nothing to do with providing health care to poor people. Of course not! It's just designed to destroy America in the name of Islamism and communism!

Hey, Shady, I heard FOX say purple is new red. Better run out and change your wardrobe right away!

More trolling hyperbole from you. Nope, Obamacare wasn't designed to destroy America. It's just really really bad legislation. A train wreck as one prominent Democrat put it a few months ago.

No, it's an exercise in critiquing FOX. That you've dedicated your life to their philosophy and are horrified anyone would question it has nothing to do with the point of my post.

And you can't even think up your own insults! You've got to plagiarize the ones you hear from your heroes on FOX! :lol: :lol:

No insults. Your entire post is one giant strawman. Your information isn't even your own thoughts. It's just parroted leftwing blog nonsense. Try using some critical thought instead of resorting to stereotype ignorance. Maybe read some George Will!

Anyways, I'm done feeding the troll.

No insults. Your entire post is one giant strawman. Your information isn't even your own thoughts. It's just parroted leftwing blog nonsense. Try using some critical thought instead of resorting to stereotype ignorance. Maybe read some George Will!

Anyways, I'm done feeding the troll.

You would know even less about what are or are not my own thought than you know about US politics, regulations or laws. There was a study not long ago which said that, in the majority of cases, people who watch the news are more informed than other people. The exception was FOX. People who regularly got their news from FOX were actually LESS informed than anyone else.

You seem a living example of that.

I also feel that this thread is troll-ish but apparently not enough to raise flags...

I would really really appreciate if the OP sarcasm was added to with some solid points, in the same post. Then it's like desert - but with vegetables...

Who is suppose to raise the flags. Can I start multiple threads then on things I've learned from the CBC, MSNBC, Obama, etc? If that's what fostering discussion in this forum has become, just let me know, cause I'm really to start a bunch of topics!

You would know even less about what are or are not my own thought than you know about US politics, regulations or laws. There was a study not long ago which said that, in the majority of cases, people who watch the news are more informed than other people. The exception was FOX. People who regularly got their news from FOX were actually LESS informed than anyone else.

You seem a living example of that.

But you're the one constantly posting ignorance. Do I need to detail for you again how Medicare is funded? Do I need to make known to you the existence of the children's health insurance program or Medicaid? You're a glittering jewel of colossal ignorance, but the best part if it all is that you're completely unaware!

Guest Derek L

Derek, this is absolute bullshit. C'mon. FOX makes no bones about what they are, really. Rupert Murdoch, when he built the thing, made no bones about what it was for. Really, Derek. I have NEVER seen a news story that was in any way complimentary of ANY Democrat, that was in any way complimentary of any government agency or department. I have never seen a FOX story that involved management labour relations, strikes disputes, etc., which didn't fully support management. I have never seen a story about welfare or food stamps or any other government support for the poor which didn't portray them as a giant waste of money and the recipients as frauds, liars, cheats, and drug addicts.

And your post is a clear demonstration on why I feel you’ve never watched FOX aside from snippets……I don’t think any reasonable person would ever accuse FOX regulars like Leslie Marshall, Juan Williams or Kirsten Powers of being GOP talking heads :rolleyes:

Exactly....I'm not a fan of either mind you.....

Neither was I, but that older format was very popular at one time, pitting "right" vs. "left". FNC owned the cable news ratings by 2002 partially because of this format. CNN had a similar show in the earlier Crossfire. On air conflict was not only tolerated, but encouraged by the producers.