Rwanda, decreasing child mortality rate -- Foreign Aid Success!

carepov

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/12/29/paul-farmers-graph-of-the-year-rwandas-plummeting-child-mortality-rate/

As many lessons as possible should be taken from the work done and the real results achieved over last 20 years in Rwanda. Kudos to all Rwandans, investors and NGO partners like Paul Farmer and Partners in Health.

What can other countries do to leverage the results of Rwanda?

I guess they could start by following Rwanda's example and reducing the surplus population drastically. Sorry, but those of us who were around during their purge will probably have a hard time forgetting that one while holding them up as a shining beacon of progress to the world.

Remember, it is 2014 and the genocide was 20 years ago. No one, especially not the Rwandans, are forgetting the genocide, life must go on though.

You seem to be implying that overpopulation is a problem in some countries. Reducing the infant mortality rate and improving other similar health and education indicators is the proven path towards controlling population growth.

I'm glad for this health progress in Rwanda but there isn't much to talk about with this topic.

Reducing the infant mortality rate and improving other similar health and education indicators is the proven path towards controlling population growth.

I get the education part, but wouldn't increasing infant mortality rate be a proven path towards controlling population growth? I'm not advocating, just saying is all.

I'm glad for this health progress in Rwanda but there isn't much to talk about with this topic.

Many people claim that foreign aid does not work - Rwanda is proof that foreign aid can work. Rwanda's goal for the last 20 years has been to become self-sufficient by 2020 and it looks like they are well on their way.

I get the education part, but wouldn't increasing infant mortality rate be a proven path towards controlling population growth? I'm not advocating, just saying is all.

It appears to be a paradox but, no.

1. The greater the chance that your children will survive and live successful lives, the fewer children you need to have to pass on your genes

2. A decreasing infant mortality means that the country is developing, this means that there are other things driving down population growth:

a) Fewer people are farming and more people are urbanized, therefore kids switch from being assets to liabilities

b.) More people, especially women are getting educated

c) etc...

In today's developed societies population growth slowed after infant mortality rates and other similar indicators improved.

Edited by carepov