Should Stephen Harper resign?

Topaz

Harper is going to have more problems when MP Chong private member bill comes up for voting next spring. Apparently, he has about 23-24 Tory MP's and growing with him and if Harper wanted to kick them out he couldn't because the party would fall under their majority.

:D

Nice to see principled Conservatives stepping up to reconnect with their values.

With that much support among Tory MP's,

I think the answer to the thread topic question is becoming a "yes".

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nano Numbers, which monitor how the federal party stand, says that right now, the Liberals are leading with54%, next are the NDP with 51 and the Conservatives with 50. This is the first time since 2006, that the Conservatives are in third place. The Tories downturn is there own fault by the senate scandal and not coming clean, at least, in the minds of most Canadians, to be accountable and open to get to the truth. The senate itself, shot itself in the foot, by not even allowing Gerstein to come before a senate committee and tell what he knows to clear up the confusion and by NOT doing so, it make them look more guilty and hiding what really happen. It was also mentioned that some people are questioning Deloitte itself as being honest and it may hurt business. http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/Power%20&%20Politics/ID/2422226858/

The Nano Numbers, which monitor how the federal party stand, says that right now, the Liberals are leading with54%, next are the NDP with 51 and the Conservatives with 50. This is the first time since 2006, that the Conservatives are in third place. The Tories downturn is there own fault by the senate scandal and not coming clean, at least, in the minds of most Canadians, to be accountable and open to get to the truth. The senate itself, shot itself in the foot, by not even allowing Gerstein to come before a senate committee and tell what he knows to clear up the confusion and by NOT doing so, it make them look more guilty and hiding what really happen. It was also mentioned that some people are questioning Deloitte itself as being honest and it may hurt business. http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/Power%20&%20Politics/ID/2422226858/

Bricker was speaking about polls today and if you look at who they trust with the economy, harper all the way. But he had a good point that there is to many pollsters out there that do a very poor job and should be regulated. What was the by election where they had some one ahead by 29 pts, he was saying that was a outright lie and should not be allowed to be used by the media.

This current scandal has also taken the focus away from another scandal I would like to see revisited and that would be the Conservative party's participation in the robocalls during the last election. Not that I was personally affected but I think that stealing anyone's vote is even more serious than double dipping from the public cookie jar. I think there are definitely some riding's where by elections are in order due to the closeness of the vote and the high number of reports of robocalls that sent non conservative voters to non existent polling booths. I guess the RCMP are kept pretty busy these days between the leaders in both Ottawa and Toronto.

It will be interesting to find out what's in Perrin's emails.

emails-belonging-to-ex-pmo-lawyer-a-central-figure-in-duffy-scandal-not-deleted-federal-government-tells-rcmp

The Privy Council Office released a letter to the RCMP on Sunday saying it had been mistaken when it originally told investigators that Perrins emails were deleted when he left the job in March, in keeping with standard procedure.

In May, Perrin denied that he was ever consulted about, or participated in, Wrights decision to cover Duffys expenses, and said he never communicated with Harper about it.

We'll see if Perrin lied in May, when he may have been under the impression that relevant emails (evidence) had been deleted.

However, PMO staff affidavits have implicated Perrin:

/ex-pmo-counsel-benjamin-perrin-may-face-b-c-law-society-investigation

A sworn RCMP affidavit includes correspondence between staffers in the Prime Ministers Office and Conservative senators about the Deloitte audit. An email trail suggests Perrin and Conservative Party lawyer Arthur Hamilton were involved in the deal that would see Duffys expenses eventually covered by Harpers then-chief of staff Nigel Wright.

So either Perrin is in trouble for failing in his legal responsibility to inform the PM,

or he did inform Harper and Harper is in trouble for lying by saying he didn't know about the deal.

Who's going to take the fall ... Perrin or Harper?

It's interesting, isn't it. Maybe Perrin will claim he counseled Harper correctly in his hearing with the bar society. The question is whether there will be any linkage back to the RCMP inquiry.

Well, he's back.....Dimitri Soudas in now the executive director of the conservative party of Canada, Harper must be running out of people for replacements. http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Dimitri+Soudas+named+executive+director+Conservative+Party+Canada/9260187/story.html

CBC News and other reported Saturday that the partys national council confirmed Soudass new position Friday night.

It was the latest in a series of moves as the PM and the party appear to be bolstering key spots with veteran, hard-nosed party operatives.

<sigh>

Some sign of openness to change would be nice, but this is closing ranks, circling wagons, toughening up for a fight.

It's interesting, isn't it. Maybe Perrin will claim he counseled Harper correctly in his hearing with the bar society. The question is whether there will be any linkage back to the RCMP inquiry.

The RCMP are already investigating so they'll be on it if there's evidence that Harper was told.

• 2 weeks later...

There has been talk lately of Harper's resignation in the new year or an early election. A number of potential heirs to the PM throne have been mentioned and have started to be more visible and speak out. While he has always been somewhat of a loose cannon, Bernier has to be considered a potential successor. As this article suggests, will he be the first to publicly call for Harper to step down?

http://looniepolitics.com/et-tu-bernier/

Edited by Charles Anthony
merged into this thread

There has been talk lately of Harper's resignation in the new year or an early election. A number of potential heirs to the PM throne have been mentioned and have started to be more visible and speak out. While he has always been somewhat of a loose cannon, Bernier has to be considered a potential successor. As this article suggests, will he be the first to publicly call for Harper to step down?

http://looniepolitics.com/et-tu-bernier/

There is no one currently in cabinet who is of any substance. Harper has made sure they are all his toadies.

If the Conservative Party is smart, they'll bring back Jim Prentice, a principled and brilliant man who fled Harper's unprincipled narrow-minded dogma.

But the CPC hasn't shown itself to be that smart lately.

Maxime 'lookit-my-motorcycle-mama's-boobs' Bernier?

Peter 'lookit-me-fishing-from-my-DND-helicopter' Mackay?

Jim 'STFU-about-my-buddy-RobFord' Flaherty?

Tony 'I've-got-a-lovely-bunch-of-gazebos' Clement?

I think the CPC better look outside the box.

Justin Ling must be doing a series on the Harper heirs. He talks about how Kenney is probably the one to inherit the crown, or perhaps kill the PM's career. He has been outspoken lately over the Ford issue. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

http://looniepolitics.com/acting-dreadful-thing/

Jason Kenney is a very smart man - and he clearly has time on his side - he's only 45. He'll stand behind Harper till Harper decides on his own to go. By his nature, Harper is not one to overstay his welcome and I think the party faithful know this. In fact, I doubt Harper would want to lead another minority government and if it came to that, he would likely step down. We all saw how the Chretien/Martin episide played out. Although it makes for juicy media speculation, no valid leadership candidate will risk alienating themselves from Harper or the party.

Edited by Keepitsimple

I would be so embarrassed of Justin as PM. He completely lacks any gravitas on the world stage. Can you imagine him in press conference with Obama or Merkel, etc? Yikes.

That's funny that you, when comparing Justin to Harper, would elevate Obama to a higher platform, to only lower Justin.

When you usually hold Obama at a lower level of competence????

A more consistent comment from you would be that Justin would be right at home with someone like Obama. No?

WWWTT

That's funny that you, when comparing Justin to Harper, would elevate Obama to a higher platform, to only lower Justin.

When you usually hold Obama at a lower level of competence????

A more consistent comment from you would be that Justin would be right at home with someone like Obama. No?

WWWTT

That's how little respect I have for Justin. At least Obama seems like an intellectual. I see none of that in Justin, nor do I see any kind of compentent executive type. He's an empty suit.

That's how little respect I have for Justin. At least Obama seems like an intellectual. I see none of that in Justin, nor do I see any kind of compentent executive type. He's an empty suit.

Ok fair enough then.

Don't get me wrong, I see much fault with both. But on second thought, I agree with your analysis of the two characters.

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

I wouldn't be surprised if Harper resigned. After all, I'm sure there's a big payoff 7 digit salary oil exec job waiting for him when he steps down!

I would expect Kenney to replace him since he would be the biggest political donation ticket that the conservatives have.

From my experience in politics, it all comes down to political donations! The biggest draws usually get the best portfolios. Unless there is another name that I am not aware of that can pull in the donation?

And since the conservatives biggest hit (yes even bigger than slumping pole numbers) are decreasing political donations, I would expect Harper to step down soon!

WWWTT

If he's going to pull a "Mulroney",it won't happen until the Spring...

He's probably waiting for the Senate Scandal (which is now a PMO Scandal) to die down (it won't)...

If ,by that time, the poll numbers haven't stopped falling AND the donations have slowed to a trickle (and with the Sona/Robocall trial looming in June),it could be curtains for Steve...

Edited by Jimmy Wilson

He's probably waiting for the Senate Scandal (which is now a PMO Scandal) to die down (it won't)...

If ,by that time, the poll numbers haven't stopped falling AND the donations have slowed to a trickle (and with the Sona/Robocall trial looming in June),it could be curtains for Steve...

Or he is telling the truth. You guys amaze me with your dreams. Harper will not quit, he will take on and beat both trudeau and mulcair. Why, because the libs have no idea what to do and the NDP are to extreme. people are not going to roll the dice with these 2.

Sorry Jack. But the senate scandal is exactly that, a senate scandal. But it's significance barely registers outside of Ottawa and Toronto. It's just not a big deal, especially in people's everyday life.

Or he is telling the truth. You guys amaze me with your dreams. Harper will not quit, he will take on and beat both trudeau and mulcair. Why, because the libs have no idea what to do and the NDP are to extreme. people are not going to roll the dice with these 2.

You and KeepItSimple are the same poster, aren't you?

I wouldn't be surprised if Harper resigned. After all, I'm sure there's a big payoff 7 digit salary oil exec job waiting for him when he steps down!

I'm sure... :rolleyes:

And since the conservatives biggest hit (yes even bigger than slumping pole numbers) are decreasing political donations, I would expect Harper to step down soon!

I don't know, he spelled it out pretty clearly in his year-end interview with Jacques Bourbeau:

"It's kind of surreal," Harper told Global's Ottawa bureau chief, Jacques Bourbeau.

"One day I open the paper and see that I'm planning to resign, the next day I open the paper and see that I'm calling a snap election ahead of the legislated date.

"We have an election scheduled in 2015 and I plan to lead the party in that."

Based on his previous track record, I think he will likely follow through on his stated intentions despite the possible scenarios that others are anxiously creating on his behalf.

Edited by Spiderfish