Heinz closing

Topaz

The Heinz Company in Leamington On. is closing in 6-8 months sending 740 people to look for new jobs which are rare in that area of the provinces. It owned by American and Brazilian firm. There was also announced this past week and another US company is closing sending another 200 to look for jobs in Tilbury On. both areas, by the way are held by Tory MP and MPP. Sad time for those areas. http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/11/14/heinz-leamington-announcement-expected-today/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take that big corporation!

They probably weren't paying enough taxes anyways. And plus, Heinz makes a lot of products with lots of salt and sugar. So we don't really want those around anyways.

The problem is, people are going to get their fat and sugar from other sources, so it isn't going to make any difference at all to how fat people are in 2050.

The problem is, people are going to get their fat and sugar from other sources, so it isn't going to make any difference at all to how fat people are in 2050.

Oh I completely agree. I just find it pathetic, hypocritical, orwellian, etc that leftwingers drown in such sorrow when a business goes under. When it's these same businesses they seek to punish with higher taxes and restrictive regulations that make it more difficult to provide their products and services.

And this example is one of their biggest nemesis', a multi-national corporation! :o

I'm kind of confused, I thought that they'd be cheering this news. Go figure.

Oh I completely agree. I just find it pathetic, hypocritical, orwellian, etc that leftwingers drown in such sorrow when a business goes under. When it's these same businesses they seek to punish with higher taxes and restrictive regulations that make it more difficult to provide their products and services.

And this example is one of their biggest nemesis', a multi-national corporation! :o

Corporations are only not evil if they have the union label. :)

Take that big corporation!

They probably weren't paying enough taxes anyways. And plus, Heinz makes a lot of products with lots of salt and sugar. So we don't really want those around anyways.

The conservative race to the bottom for the middle class. If only Canadian workers earned third world wages and we scrapped all those ridiculous environmental regulations and safety standards, then all would be right in conservatopia.

Shady, you live in London. On, where Ford closed down and how many of those guys have found jobs? I don't really care about the company I care about the workers, who will find it really hard to find others jobs in that area. This is NOT about left or right, this is about people's hardship and unless you've never been unemployed, you won't understand. There are spots in this region, where people lost their jobs and then they lost their families because of the financial stress, the lucky ones found jobs out of region like London.... 2 hours away, so please don't make this a left issue.

U.S. (or Brazilian) corporations and shareholders do not owe Canadians (or Americans & Brazilians) well paying jobs in perpetuity out of some misguided notion of loyalty. Workers are free to quit or strike when unionized, finding jobs elsewhere. The cost of manufacturing anything in Ontario is becoming more and more expensive (e.g. "hydro"), so expect many more plant closings.

Find another market for the tomatoes or shift to other cash crops.

U.S. (or Brazilian) corporations and shareholders do not owe Canadians (or Americans & Brazilians) well paying jobs in perpetuity out of some misguided notion of loyalty. Workers are free to quit or strike when unionized, finding jobs elsewhere. The cost of manufacturing anything in Ontario is becoming more and more expensive (e.g. "hydro"), so expect many more plant closings.

Find another market for the tomatoes or shift to other cash crops.

Exactly. And we can thank much of the increased cost of manufacturing to our green friends in the province. But they care about the middle class don't you know.

Argus posted about Heinz just recently, pointing out that job cutting and cost cutting are a result of the deal Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway group made to acquire Heinz.

As a result of the terms of the deal, Heinz is required to provide Berkshire Hathaway with an abnormally high return, so even though Heinz is already a very profitable company it is being forced to cut jobs and operations anyway. The job cuts at Heinz aren't a result of a company failing, it's a result of Wall Street dealings.

-k

Let's not forget that the decision McDonald's made to switch ketchup suppliers is certainly an influence in all of this as well.

As reported, McDonald's changed ketchup supplier from Heinz in the U.S. (largest) market (except for two cities) years ago. Canadians who don't like the plant closing are "threatening" to boycott all Heinz products, as if that will make even a pathetic difference.

I for one will keep buying Heinz products, because my family likes the quality and tradition. Until Canada/Ontario starts coughing up the domestic capital to finance such manufacturing, it will have to keep watching foreign investors do what they want whenever they want, and that includes closing high cost plants.

Edited by bush_cheney2004