Americans Believe climate Change is Real, and a Real Problem

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dispute that sea levels are rising at an increasing rate?

From what I can see when I go to the shore near my house, the tides seem to have the same high and low levels I remember from 1967.

Let's see, tomorrow is the 5th of Sept if I'm not mistaken and there is a heat warning in effect for Toronto. For those of you who like to deny climate based on weather...what now?

They could always point to the fact that it is snowing in Alberta.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/snow-falls-in-alberta-s-mountains-as-frost-advisories-are-issued-1.2754860

Sea levels have been rising for thousands of post-glacial years. Wanna reverse all that too ?

I'm curious about your position on this. Do you deny that human activities are causing the increase in heat retention? Or are do accept that we have strengthened the greenhouse effect but just think we can't do anything about it?

I'm curious about your position on this. Do you deny that human activities are causing the increase in heat retention? Or are do accept that we have strengthened the greenhouse effect but just think we can't do anything about it?

I don't care what "humans" have done or will do with respect to "heat retention". The planet doesn't care either, having experienced wide variations in climate for eons. It is foolish to think that "humans" can control this.

I don't care what "humans" have done or will do with respect to "heat retention". The planet doesn't care either, having experienced wide variations in climate for eons. It is foolish to think that "humans" can control this.

The planet will certainly do just fine without us...but do you think our actions have lead to greater heat retention?

The planet will certainly do just fine without us...but do you think our actions have lead to greater heat retention?

"Heat retention" ? Are you asking if I believe in anthropogenic global warming ? The earth is not a closed system, and warming/cooling happen for a myriad of reasons, including human activity.

Yeah the planet does care, in a sort of a way. It will just kick us out and carry on. Here's one little question for you to ponder: when was the last time we had a billion cars starting up each day? When was the last time we consumed the amount of fossil fuels we do today? But you are right, the planet could care less if we die gasping for air. That's only our problem.

Oh come on - take the scientific approach and be at least a little bit of a skeptic! ;) First it was land temperatures - but the Climate Scientists have been scratching their heads with the current extended warming "hiatus". Then it was Ocean heat. The only reasonably reliable measurement for ocean heat comes from the Argo floats that measure down to 700 meters. Unadjusted Argo data from 2003 - 2012 show a slight cooling - GISS "adjusted" measurements show a slight warming - nowhere even close to the predicted warming that would support the theory of the missing heat being in the oceans. Fact is, with the Argo data, we're only now beginning to understand ocean salinity and heat. Think about it - if the "missing" heat is not in the ocean, where might it be?

given your fake skeptic presence, you calling for a "little bit of skepticism" is rich!

why do you continue to play this isolation game... purposely playing it? Again, ocean heat content (OHC) is not some new angle... something you continue to present as "something conveniently cooked up". I've repeatedly shown you the long dated study and research history associated with measuring OHC... related warming in the atmosphere associates to ~2%... just ~2% of all warming associated with global warming. Your purposeful isolation is certainly a reflection of your fake skepticism... where you ignore the more than 90% of related warming that goes into the oceans. Of course, you continue to beak-off over a reduced rate of surface temperature temperature warming... yet you ignore and refuse to acknowledge the same Cowtan&Way study (now multiple studies) that speak to that reduced rate of surface warming being minimal... if at all. Again... those studies still stand and have not been refuted/over-turned. As for that "hiatus"... are my picked cherries riper than yours? :lol: Anyone can play that game, hey!

pauseWUWT.gif

now Simple, you've repeatedly made that same Argo float claim in the past. Let's see you... finally... step up and substantiate it. C'mon Simple, show your cards - show us which denier blog you're parroting. Substantiate that claim Simple... sure you can. Given your purposeful reference to "unadusted Argo data", you might want to also offer a comment on why you would presume to "trust/accept" raw data over adjusted data..... Simple, this means you have to actually qualify what you presume is a wrong/faulty adjustment - carry on with that, hey! For completeness, let's provide a reference point for one of your last failures concerning ocean measurements/Argo floats - here:

you may also want to clarify just what you were intending when comparing Argo ocean data to your GISS reference... in your supplied context, what does sub-surface Argo ocean data (to 700 meters, to 2000 meters) have to do with GISS surface temperature data? Simple, it's long been evident you don't know what you're talking about, but this is one of your more glaring representations of that! Well done.

From what I can see when I go to the shore near my house, the tides seem to have the same high and low levels I remember from 1967.

you clearly are a keen eyeballer... your prowess in this regard has been shown in past MLW AGW/CC related threads in the past. Should I resurrect a few of those for you?

Not being a climatologist i can only go by what is claimed by the majority of those responsible for reporting the state of the climate through their research and study on the subject.

Credible sites like these are where i go to find answers. there are many others

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring-references/faq/global-warming.php

What these sites say about the environment and mans usage of 100 million barrels of oil per day its not a stretch of the imagination to believe that a green house effect is taking place and the Earth is warming up as a consequence.

So who's right on the issue? the scientists claiming man is contributing to an abnormal rise in Earths global temperature? or Americas rightwing political entity who's claiming its all a hoax?

I'll err on the side of caution and agree with the scientists.

Edited by mjrr

Let's see, tomorrow is the 5th of Sept if I'm not mistaken and there is a heat warning in effect for Toronto. For those of you who like to deny climate based on weather...what now?

Plenty of quite opposite warnings and conditions last January and February at CYYZ, no?

Yeah the planet does care, in a sort of a way. It will just kick us out and carry on.

This sounds like religious nonsense. Oh no, we have sinned against mother nature, therefore she will wipe us out!

Humans are the most intelligent species on the planet, evolved in a very warm part of the planet (Western Africa), have a very large population, and live in a large variety of climates. Other species at risk for extinction? Sure. Humans? No.

This sounds like religious nonsense. Oh no, we have sinned against mother nature, therefore she will wipe us out!

Humans are the most intelligent species on the planet, evolved in a very warm part of the planet (Western Africa), have a very large population, and live in a large variety of climates. Other species at risk for extinction? Sure. Humans? No.

Why would you assume that? Dinosaurs ruled at one time but were made extinct in short order. Any species can be made extinct and we already have the means to do it ourselves in the form of nuclear weapons. The question is, can we destroy our environment by other means such as triggering a runaway greenhouse effect. Fact is, we just don't know.

Being the most intelligent species on the planet doesn't mean we are intelligent enough not to cause our own extinction.

Edited by Wilber

It's foolish to think that humans will control it, even if they could.