Ontario hydro rates

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your linked article emphasizes Montreal... a comparison to Montreal. Comparing any city (Canada or the U.S.) to Montreal is a non-starter... no city comes anywhere near the low rates available to Montreal consumers/business.

Checking Quebec Hydro, this is clearly false, as several U.S. cities have "hdyro" rates that are comparable to Montreal, either through a publicly regulated utility or electric co-op.

I'm asking you to substantiate... to go beyond your "someone told me"... and your speculative powers. If you can't, if it's not available (as you say, not online), then you're providing nothing more than your anecdotal comment... comment that may or may not have substance, comment that provides no substantiated attribution.

Waldo, you're starting to act a lot like the guy in your picture, it's not pleasant.

Waldo, you've not had problems with the quote system before? Deal with it.

it's not my problem... the problem is you couldn't manage to quote me properly, while you interspersed multiple portions of your own wording/quotations such that your input appears as if I stated/provided it. I suggest you deal with your own failings in this regard.

Waldo, you're starting to act a lot like the guy in your picture, it's not pleasant.

both related posts were (intended) positive criticism, aimed to improve discussion. The second post was more pointedly direct since you came back with your "proof" angle... which had no bearing on my initial commentary. Positive criticism - take it, or leave it.

This should be a surprise to No one as the Liberals admitted as much in a pamphlet they sent out in 2011.

http://m.680news.com/2011/02/08/ontario-tories-call-electricity-brochure-waster-of-taxpayer-money/

What kind of bugs me about recent new is this.

http://m.thestar.com/#!/business/redirect/48ae6b0278d3e41ef5ce7ade6aeb805a

If people wanted to attempt and mitigate the rate hikes by using most of their Hydo at off peak hours the Liberals are making that more difficult by raising off peak prices at a higher rate than the other 2 categories.

Edited by Boges

it's not my problem... the problem is you couldn't manage to quote me properly, while you interspersed multiple portions of your own wording/quotations such that your input appears as if I stated/provided it. I suggest you deal with your own failings in this regard.

I fixed it for you, I now wait for a response.

I fixed it for you, I now wait for a response.

hey now... not so hard, was it? I'm especially taken with this part of your "fix"! :lol:

Edited for Waldo, and only waldo. Now deal with it.

ok, let's see what you actually wrote:

- re: feds "relax" incandescent bulb phase-out:

the FreedomBulb lives!!! Oh, wait... all traditional incandescent bulbs are still being phased out in the same established timeframe (which of course was extended by two years to appease closet hoarders). So, the only change is one that doesn't phase out the halogen incandescent... it's still more efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs, but keeping it allows "the Feds" to appease those purveyors of trumped-up concerns over mercury... oh, and something else about aligning with a similar U.S. decision. Now, you have a MLW quote in a past thread (I'll quote it if you persist) that has you concerned over CFLs because of mercury/cost. Make up your mind!

in any case, I really don't know what point you're trying to make over the FreedomBulb still (partially) available in regards the halogen incandescent. It's not a decision I favour/advocate.

- re: smart meters.

you're all over the map with this one. If peak demand can be managed without building new infrastructure/plants, are you suggesting an over-build to meet some future peak eventuality (undetermined albeit projected)? If smart meters assist in managing peak demand requirements... at the, as you say, cost of convenience, why would you be against smart meters and what do advocate for instead?

If people wanted to attempt and mitigate the rate hikes by using most of their Hydo at off peak hours the Liberals are making that more difficult by raising off peak prices at a higher rate than the other 2 categories.

'the Liberals'? I thought the Ontario Energy Board was an independent body?

all 3 of the time-series were raised by the same 0.5¢ per kWh. The weekday off-peak hours time series remains unchanged @19:00 to 07:00... if someone hasn't (yet) embraced leveraging the off-peak time series period, your presumed premise of percentage rate change difference will have nominal decision making impact. Who makes a decision based on percentage rate change versus the actual bottom-line ¢ per kWh cost?

check out the following comparison of the Ontario November 1st rate increase to a snapshot of recent Alberta pricing - your thoughts?

1z3qpg1.jpg

Easy TO, harper is not a arrogant SOB, who thinks he is superior being. :)

Edited by PIK

all 3 of the time-series were raised by the same 0.5¢ per kWh. The weekday off-peak hours time series remains unchanged @19:00 to 07:00... if someone hasn't (yet) embraced leveraging the off-peak time series period, your presumed premise of percentage rate change difference will have nominal decision making impact. Who makes a decision based on percentage rate change versus the actual bottom-line ¢ per kWh cost?

Because On Peak is almost double the price as Off peak still. But the gap between the prices is getting smaller. People are still going to make the decision to use high consumption devices on Off Peak hours because the savings are still there, the point is that the savings are lessening at a faster rate.

I cannot cite this as you always require but I suspect as more people use OffPeak hours the profits are reduced so raising those rates at a faster percentage is required. Less than 5 years ago I remember paying off peal rates at 4 or 5 kw/H for off peak. That's a huge increase in not a long time.

I will admit one thing that does help is making the OffPeak weekday rate kick in at 7pm. It used to be 9pm. Who can wait until 9pm to cook dinner? Especially when during the winter period OnPeak is in the morning and evening instead of during the mid-day where it's Mid-Peak because heating a house is less essential.

check out the following comparison of the Ontario November 1st rate increase to a snapshot of recent Alberta pricing - your thoughts?

1z3qpg1.jpg

Looks pretty similar. What are their delivery costs? I'm not too bothered with the price of electricity as most, it's one of the smaller bills I pay. But the continuous trend upward without any indication of relief is the concern. At what point will the rate increases level off?

Edited by Boges

As far as hydro bill. my last bill, delivery charges were $110.00, debt repay-9.13,regulated charges-8.23,HST-$30.78, 10% discount of $26.75. The off -peak cost the most of 54.11,mid-27.42 and peak at 28.87 were total $240.79. which hydro used only came in at $110.40 all the rest are taxes and add-ons. So consumers can't win on their hydro bills because like mine, if you go to lower rates, you still are paying more. On a radio talk show recently, many people phoning in said they will spend the money to change over to natural gas for cooking and drying their clothes. The people who really going to suffer are the ones, like seniors on a fixed income and many of them are also dealing with increase property taxes.

We have a gas water heater and furnace, I'm thinking about switching to a gas dryer and stove, although I've never been comfortable with a gas stove. We've seen a huge increase in our bill over the last year or so, and I do watch the usage.

When is that debt supposed to be paid off, do they even know how much is left, if at all?

It's all been a big lie

http://www.obwf.ca/ontario-hydro-has-increased-81-because-the-meters-are-so-smart/

We have a gas water heater and furnace, I'm thinking about switching to a gas dryer and stove, although I've never been comfortable with a gas stove. We've seen a huge increase in our bill over the last year or so, and I do watch the usage.

Gas stove uses less , no warm up time, auto high heat.

Same with the gas dryer , but make sure you remove dust bunnies underneath every year.

When we lived further out in the country we had a gas stove and in the winter, if the hydro went down, at least, we had some heat and a stove to cook on. Gas dryer are another thing, unless they have improve, there's a chance for a fire with the lint , like someone already said. Question for anyone who knows.....can a person run their home on a natural gas-power generator for 24 hrs, 365 days to get off the grid? or maybe part time?

I'm not sure that the savings would outweigh the cost of buying new appliances realy, uness I can get an exceptionally good deal on them.

Ontario dumps hydro and pays others to take it away. Meanwhile Ontario taxpayers are paying for this surplus or dumping of hydro. Add to this the higher costs for unreliable wind and solar energy the overall effect is causing financial hardship for many on tight budgets. Makes no sense at all as to why anyone would vote Liberal again.

I don't think I could go back to an electric stove after having a gas one.

see induction cook-top... there you go! Same heating immediacy/control as gas... safer than gas... 2+ times more energy efficient than conventional electric... effectively, on par with gas in terms of energy efficiency as less heat is wasted. The days of "cheap(er) gas"... are numbered.

see induction cook-top... there you go! Same heating immediacy/control as gas... safer than gas... 2+ times more energy efficient than conventional electric... effectively, on par with gas in terms of energy efficiency as less heat is wasted. The days of "cheap(er) gas"... are numbered.

How much does an induction cooktop go for in tandem with an oven?

The one good thing about the gas stove is the fact that I don't have to worry about time of use gas consumption . . . yet!

Edited by Boges

• 4 weeks later...

Great that Gore was congratulating Wynne for closing down all of the coal powered power generation stations and replaced it with expensive solar and wind power. The Liberals have been responsible for the destruction of Ontario's manufacturing base by making power too expensive. The Green Act needs to be reversed and cheaper power generated.

http://looniepolitics.com/videos/al-gore-speech-climate-change-environment-toronto/

Great that Gore was congratulating Wynne for closing down all of the coal powered power generation stations and replaced it with expensive solar and wind power. The Liberals have been responsible for the destruction of Ontario's manufacturing base by making power too expensive. The Green Act needs to be reversed and cheaper power generated.

http://looniepolitics.com/videos/al-gore-speech-climate-change-environment-toronto/

within Ontario, over the long wind-down from coal, the percentage of generation from coal has gone from a high of ~30% to ~3% by the end of 2012. At the end of 2012, wind generated ~3% of the total from all sources. Your "replaced" reference is bogus, man! The manufacturing decline crosses the path of many governments across multi-decades - higher power costs are a more recent consideration in that regard. As has been shown within many related threads... within this very thread, the cost of renewables is a relatively insignificant factor within an overall energy costs breakdown represented within utility bills.

you don't know what you're talking about.

Ontario is suffering from self-inflicted GEA wounds:

“Eighty percent of Ontario’s generation of electricity from wind power occurs at times and seasons so far out of phase with demand that the entire output is surplus and is exported at a substantial loss,” the study from the conservative think-tank says. “The Auditor-General of Ontario estimates that the province has already lost close to $2-billion on such exports.”

Further, the shift to wind, where facilities tend to be placed in rural and remote locations, has required millions of dollars in investment just to tie the new projects to the transmission grid. All of that goes toward the increase in electricity rates.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/04/11/ontario-green-energy-act/